News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Sunland, CA Oct 09-10, 2010

Started by Johnnyappleseed, October 10, 2010, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Sat was a really fun day ! We had numerous scouts brought by Alex  Thank You Sir O0
Had lots of loaner rifles,which the scouts put to good use . Thank You To Bob,Vand HM for the loaner rifles.
Several 1st time attendees did really well , working toward the goal of RM !

Will post more later when I get my notes in order.

JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

What a great weekend!

On Saturday 4Posterity came up to give us a hand for the day. Later in the afternoon Justin and Zot came by to help out on their way to the RBC out in Piru. They said they would send reinforcements in the morning. I will get to that later. Thanks Guys for helping out. It was a pleasure to meet you.

No Rifleman Saturday but everyone had a good time.

Sunday Justin and Zot made good on their promise and Kool Aid arrived at around 11 or so.  O0 Thank You KA for coming out. You added to the experience. KA ran the KD portion of the Appleseed. All smiles as the students saw that what worked at 25 worked at distance. The location we had for KD did not allow for posting of targets, but there was steel to ring.   :---

L0ck3 scored Rifleman Sunday morning with a 213 followed by his second RM score of 215. L0ck3 accepted the orange hat at lunch and jumped right in. Thanks for stepping up!

Judge Crater scored oh so close with a 202 at this, his first, Appleseed. Great job Judge, you will make it next time!

I want to thank everyone who showed up. It was an honor to work with you all. NatBug and Tina, I'll look for you at the Ladyseed in Piru.  :cool2:

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

POP

SS, just checkin' up on my friends.
Sounds like another fun AS weekend.
Looking forward to some pics.
Ya'll keep up the good work.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

jcwliu

Thank you Savageshooter and Johnnyappleseeds. Eventhough the weather was hot and I did not make 210; I had a good time and a warmup for the CMP Western game this weekend.

SavageShootr

I hope you have a great time this coming weekend at the CMP game. You will do well.

You were so close to the score, we anticipate a 210 and an orange hat in the very near future for you.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

SavageShootr

colycat

Sounds like another good shoot in Cali.  Anyone take pictures? :(
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

L0ck3

I was quite happy to achieve the rifleman score and do it twice in one day. I thought it would happen sooner but looking back, I see I needed to fix some bad habits and learn some new ones.

This way my 8th day of appleseed (third full weekend and 2 sundays in that count- first weekend I did in December,, Piru, in the rain, lol and this weekend had a bit of heat to it) and lots of practice in between. I would like to thank all those instructors who helped me figure out my errors and give my productive notes. Especially Savageshooter, V, Cam, and JA.

Hooyah ^:)^
Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Johnnyappleseed

a couple of pics
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

4Posterity

Another great Appleseed event! Sorry I could not be there Sunday to see everyone put all they had learned Saturday to work in the AQT sessions, but I did get to see you all make steady progress throughout the day Saturday.  On the way home I realized that I didn't write down everyone's real names or Forum Names, and I may mess up a few of them, so advance apologies if I don't spell names just so or miss by a letter or two but you will know who you are, so here are a few random thoughts from memory:

Alex (TheEagleScout?) was the 7th-stepping champion, recruiting what seemed to be about half of the group of attendees and helping to get them all settled in Saturday morning.  I see a funny-colored hat in this fine young man's future and will be honored to work alongside him when that day comes.

Mark was about tied with Alex in the 7th-stepping department, and during intros Saturday morning it seemed that almost everyone had been introduced to the Appleseed project by one of the two of them.  Mark and Aiden anchored the center of the line and progress was made throughout the day.

The BSA contingent at the south end of the line showed why we should all do what we can to support scouting whenever possible.  These young men were very polite, attentive, followed directions explicitly, not only listened to, but participated in the lunchtime history discussions, learned and progressed throughout the day and are living proof of why there is hope for the future.  Trevor, Duggan, and Melad, I truly enjoyed having you one the line and hope to see you again (I know I am missing someone's name-sorry-defective old-guy memory).

Fathers and sons out shooting.  What could be better?  Peter, kudos for bringing Tyler and Jace out and getting them started on the Rifleman's path.  Tyler was a sponge, soaking up every bit of instruction that came his way.  I didn't have a camera but would like to have some photos of him in perfect prone position with all the steady-hold factors in play.  It was a long, hot day, but I think Tyler would have keep shooting all night if we had lights and enough ammo.  And Jace was a trooper as well, still going strong when we were packing at the end of the day.  Claire, I wish I had some photos of you sitting in the dirt emulating every move that SavageShootr made while she was doing the demos.  No wonder why you progressed so far in a few short hours. Hope you can make it back to another Appleseed as you are destined to become a Rifleman, and SavageShootr will be chasing you around with an orange hat as soon as you do.

Ever meet someone with a big smile on her face all day?  Natalie- I wish I could isolate your source of attitude, can it and sell it on ebay.  We could all retire and open our own Appleseed shooting range.  Put some Tech Sights on that new rifle and head to the Ladyseed event to show them how it is done.

All and all what a great group of Appleseeders!  Love to see you all down at Rainbow or Descanso sometime, or at the Escondido range next March for the Appleseed camp-out.  No better mini-vacation than a weekend with good folks, some history and heritage topped off with a touch of marksmanship!

Mark
4Posterity

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

TheEagleScout

Yep it's me!

Had great fun at my 2nd appleseed!
didnt shoot rifleman again!  :wb:

but third times a charm and i'll be  :--- rifleman next time!

And i'll try and get even more guys to go!
"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots, so that if it becomes necessary to defend your family or your country you can do so"- Lord Baden Powell

Johnnyappleseed

Mark (4Posterity) Thank You so much for all your hard work on sat. It was a long drive for you , and we appreciate it .
I am looking forward to working with you again , your demeanor,confidence and preparation were super  O0 Still looking to download more pic's --- Thanx for setting the stage for more viewing --bet we find some of Jace (designated marksman) possibly Claire,Natalie and maybe even SS  ::)
JA
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: TheEagleScout on October 12, 2010, 02:44:25 AM
Yep it's me!

Hi
Eagle Scout
You sure have a way with 7th stepping - O0-- Thank You.
We would like to work with you ,(Your schedule permitting),and any friends you want at Angeles before the next AS --- SS said she thinks if you will score RM  between AS too. Lots of one on one  8)   Then you can do Instructor in Training. More fun ;D
Anyone who wants can join in too . Just send me a PM ,so we can work in member discount and coordinate schedules
JA

Calvin Coolidge

TheEagleScout

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 12, 2010, 04:38:40 AM
Quote from: TheEagleScout on October 12, 2010, 02:44:25 AM
Yep it's me!

Hi
Eagle Scout
You sure have a way with 7th stepping - O0-- Thank You.
We would like to work with you ,(Your schedule permitting),and any friends you want at Angeles before the next AS --- SS said she thinks if you will score RM  between AS too. Lots of one on one  8)   Then you can do Instructor in Training. More fun ;D
Anyone who wants can join in too . Just send me a PM ,so we can work in member discount and coordinate schedules
JA

That sounds great! except I think my schedule is completely packed until the november 27-28th appleseed!

I may have a weekend open in november.
We'll keep in touch.
"Make good scouts of yourselves, become good rifle shots, so that if it becomes necessary to defend your family or your country you can do so"- Lord Baden Powell

Johnnyappleseed

Mark Hu --- I hope this goes to the question you asked ,regarding detachable slings  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14502.msg121113#msg121113
JA
Calvin Coolidge

markhu

The highlight of this Appleseed (my 3rd) was the KD segment.  I was doubly thrilled to shoot a wonderfully smooth old M14, as well as the fact that I hit the plate at about 175 yards three times in a row!  This was a great encouragement to me since my scores the rest of the day were not so great with my own new rifle.  I also enjoyed meeting all the people and was proud to have brought 4 guests.
ICXC=NIKA

Johnnyappleseed

markhu ,good job 7th stepping , your enthusiasim and persistance were contagious O0
many thanks to koolaid for thinking of and getting permission from range staff for the long distance portion of this AS ;) this will be a Sunland feature for future events.
As posted earlier SS and I are members of Angeles range and she or I would enjoy working with you between AS. just send a pm to schedule.

Did the link to Castro Valley AS ,which mentioned sling use work OK?
Everyone who dislikes struggling with sling adjustment may want to click the link and read post #4 by johng ~~:)
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

more pics

Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

right to work
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

KD
Calvin Coolidge

Natbug

Just signed up... I know slow!
It was fabulous meeting all of you.
Thank you for the memorable experience.
Hope to stay in touch.
~Natalie
For you 4Posterity ;D

SavageShootr

Hi Natbug!! I guess it wasn't taken.   :cool2:

Welcome to the forum! Hope to see you at another Appleseed real soon. You have a great attitude! Like 4posterity said, wish we could bottle it.

SS

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome Natbug ;D
What you have we cannot teach , that quality of persistance O0
Calvin Coolidge

L0ck3

Thanks for posting those pics JA.

Hope Angeles lets us back to the eagle's nest soon.

Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Camljr

Right after Thanksgiving... November 27-28, 2010, to be exact.

Put yourself on the instructor schedule...  O0
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt