News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR:Glen Helen, 23/4 Oct

Started by CSHR, October 25, 2010, 07:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSHR

"If you don't read the newspaper you're not informed. If you do read the newspaper you're misinformed"

I was expecting 2 less instructors and 6 less people, gotta quit reading the papers.  ++)

Saturday was overcast, misting, cold, and had a dampness that crept up on you and soaked into the bones. And it didn't stop or even slow down our wonderful crowd of shooters. Several groups of families and friends. Some repeats from last weekend and some from earlier times. All agreed this was a nice range with a concrete pad and overhead protection, enclosed on the back side and 22's only.

We had about 7 or 8 who were new to shooting or with new rifles they didn't know well. We did our initial briefing and separated the newbies out for special attention, then all of us to the line.
The 16 shooters had 7 instructors to help them and they kept them busy  ~~:) The shooters were great to instruct, they listened well and applied themselves to the lessons taught them. Bailey brought along her dad Paul and her new bolt action rifle, all agreed that her age didn't become the problem we've seen before with others. She worked that bolt very well and continued to get her shots off despite only having one 10 round magazine. A safe, polite, determined young lady who had all the instructors happy she was there and hope she'll come again  ^:)^

The Dixon family anchored our right side of the line with determined interest and shooting. The left side was Karen, May and Tara who met here and encouraged each other and laughed through both days. May is a returning shooter dedicated and determined on the line, smiling and happy while prepping mags. Karen's S&W 22 had a case head separation that took out her ejector and sprayed her and her husband Jacob with gas and parts. The rifle went into a bag to ship to S&W while both went back to shooting  :---   Tara had never shot a firearm before and by the last of Sunday had a high AQT of 190, congratulations  ^:)^  I'm sure she'll ease up on her boyfriend (one of our instructors) in a few weeks....when she tires of reminding him she out shot his first attempt  **)

Sunday started out cold, got sunny and then cloudy and cooler again quickly. Didn't seem to deter our returning crowd. Norm and his daughter Krista returned and brought mom and brother. Krista had not shot before and AQT'd a 183 and also did very well on her Redcoat, her brother Andrew (I'm having an old timers moment, forgive me if I remembered incorrectly) got the HS. Another great family to have on our shooting line. Mark was back for his second day and a repeat AS. Always smiling, receptive and shooting well, an great person to have on our line. Oh yeah, he must study between classes as I see him silently mouthing the 3 strikes as we speak, good job  ;)
Our Sunday group was much smaller, 10, and our instructors shrunk to 4. More family like. We shot 7 AQT's that day and destroyed the cookies in an NPOA drill. Interestingly they all complained when we had them shoot 5 rounds from prone LEFT HANDED, at the 100yd redcoat target  :'(  and when we checked only one shot missed the red  ++)  ..:..   
The 'pumpkin' drill, 10 rds from prone, knocked it off its perch at 100 feet and then they cut it in half as it lay on it's side  :D  :cool2:   ^:)^  :~ 

Officially I regret  to report that no one shot they sought after >210, many promised to return and do so. Persistence, gotta respect that.

I also get to report the 'Return of Kool Aid' to the Inland Empire. Thank you for all the assistance  **) ^:)^

"Last, but not least," fun words to use, but nahhh, not the right ones, hummmmm how about yippy/cudo's/smiles all around/it's about time/welcome to the club/yessssssss/hi 5   FREEMAN is now a Red Hat!!
Congratulations Chris!   ..:..

CAHR

P.S. Laylo promise's me he will add pictures as soon as the  !@#)  >:(  ++) company fixes the problems with his lines in and out of the computer.
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Boondock saint

Well I can certainly say I had a great time! And having an appleseed shoot at west end is probably better than the corona range.  >:D I also have to so say my shooting has gotten a lot better than it was, now all i need is my riflemen's patch and my orange hat!!! Witch I'm going to get at the next appleseed in corona. **)   :~  :~
"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Freeman

Well...my top AQT score at my first Appleseed was 189, if I remember correctly. I shouldn't have told her on Saturday... That said, she beat me fair and square. >:(

Thank you for the congratulations all. The red hat means a lot to me.
Freeman
n.
1. A person not in slavery or serfdom.
2. One who possesses the rights or privileges of a citizen.

"Liberty is not a means to a political end. It is itself the highest political end." – Lord Acton

Appleseed: The only program endorsed by the Founding Fathers and GSG9.

Boondock saint

Yeah dude congrates on getting the red hat!!!!!!!   :~  :~
"And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

CSHR

Jacob was fine, came back for Sun with his wife, Karen. He has an area of eccymosis, linearly about 1/4" long, no other symptoms.

Karen's rifle is another story.

Oh yeah, lets not forget that Laylo said she beat his first time score too  **)  :---  ..:..

Chris, wait for the IAAR  ;)  :cool2:

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boondock saint

asminuteman

passinthru

CSHR,
    For the rest of us:
     Eccymosis - definition of Eccymosis in the Medical dictionary - by ...An injury to underlying tissues or bone in which the skin is unbroken, often characterized by ruptured blood vessels and discolorations; a contusion. ...
     In other words; a bruise, I get lots of those wrestling with my 5 year old grandson.
I always read your Glen Helen AAR's because that's where I shot Rifleman in May......................steve
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson

Rocket Man

Quote from: CSHR on October 25, 2010, 07:16:59 PMKaren's S&W 22 had a case head separation that took out her ejector and sprayed her and her husband Jacob with gas and parts.

:o

That's why we wear our eye protection!!  Glad everyone was safe.  Better it happens with knowledgeable instructors around than on your own somewhere.

Quote from: CSHR on October 25, 2010, 07:16:59 PMTara had never shot a firearm before and by the last of Sunday had a high AQT of 190, congratulations  ^:)^ 

190's a good AQT score.  That's what I got my first Appleseed.  (Sure, I'd been shooting for 15 years up 'til then, but whatever.)  I think my wife got a 188.  The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.   :cool2:

Sounds like you all had a great shoot.  Congratulations, Chris!  Wish I could have been there, or that you could have been here, or whatever.  See you all soon.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Xeyed

Congrats on the Red Hat.

Freeman.

Well done.

Huzzah!

I like the updated headgear   "Pretend that this is a  Red Hat"

X

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Johnnyappleseed

Congratualtions Freeman O0
Sorry I missed all the fun  .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

NewMOe

Congrats on the red hat Freeman !!!!
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

CSHR

My apologies to ZACK and his mother Sherri  :bow:  :bow: :bow: Zack is Krista's brother, Andrew was in the same spot on Sat.  ++)

Passinthru/steve, apologies again, I forget and use technical terms at times. Thanks for the assist  :sos:

Laylo's disagreement with the company is not resolved yet, soon he hopes, he has a shoot in Las Vegas and needs to communicate with the crew.

Thanks again to all of you who signed up and participated, the cold and wet was not a deterrence, great people  ^:)^

CSHR

artkat2

I do regard with horror a state of affairs which would make our country both unready and unwilling to defend its honor.
George S. Patton jr

Justin

Freeman! Way to go! Congratulations, it was well earned!

I wish I could have been there but I do not regret being at another AS at a new range. I can't wait to run into you all again and be at an AS and see Freeman is a SB!!! Congratulations! Hope everything went well, the American Spirit was awakened, and fundamentals were ingrained!
"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

kool aid

First things first: I you have a problem with praise, enter at your own risk.

This was my first shoot officially "working" in over six months. Casualty and all.......

I have been to bootcamp this month, attended numerous seeds, heard a lot of history and I have this to say in general about what I am seeing:

Way to go, guys!
I find things well in hand since my injury enforced sabatical.

Tighter ship now than I've ever seen yet.
The people who are becoming instuctors (here and now) are 'packing the gear' when they get here to be accomplished RWVA instructors in very short order.

And this shoot in particular brought it all home to me.
more on that in a sec...

To the casual observer, Eight 'hats' and sixteen shooters seems a bit excessive, right? The Gods of Unintended Consequences saw fit to put SIX(?) brand new shooters on the line.
Provident hapanstance, I say!
We were well staffed for the mission as we found it. Kids got intensive 'first contact' firearms training, more experienced shooters got nuance coaching, etc etc. safety was covered because there was much overlap.

A fine outcome, on that account.

Now, about this Freeman getting his red hat thing:

I was line-mate with Freeman At PIRU 10CUBE ( My LOUD 30 calibre goodness next to HIM,  LTR guy). I watched him ride his rodeo there.
And it wasn't easy....

None of this stuff is easy.

But I welcome you because I think you will find it was worth the effort. And we need the help. And because you 'pack the gear'. I seen it with my own two eyes.
Thank you for your troubles.
I am afraid we offer a sparse compensation package consisting mostly of
all the dust you can eat.
And if you behave,
Haiku!
LOL
and if you misbehave-
Haiku!

So- an abundance of competence! A seamless execution of the material.

CSHR- Full marks, dude! I see New Mexico does fur4ter!
Seriously- thanks for stepping up. Lots of work to be done.

Nice to welcome you to the shoot boss roster. Talk to one of the senior instructors about that 'special' shooting jacket you get with that job...... the one with the buckles and straps on the sleeves?????
JUST KIDDING!
Nice to see a guy prepared, who can think on his feet as well.

LLP- What have you been feeding these guys? Quite the training cadre you got there........
22CG- Finally- get to work a shoot with you. The Pink and Black Accents were quite-----------interesting. I thought the leopard print in that colour scheme was quite BOLD. zoiks!

R & S;  Same same- nice to have a chance to see how YOU do it. Very well indeed.

Bud- nice to meet you- go bold on the scope adjustment! ur mom's okey. be nice to her so she'll keep buying you ammo!

ASMM- YOU ARE THE MAN!
Poster child for why I love this outfit.
never seen a guy look like he's in more paces at once......... than that guy working the line.
nuff said.

As has been said before- great team, great group of shooters, nice venue and a hopeful beginning on the road to rifleman for the students.

Thanks all.

Anybody I forgot or neglected or whatnot- apologies.
I gotta hit the hay.

Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Boondock saint

Yeah Evan it was nice meeting you as well. And let he accord show that I bought my own ammo and using my rifle so HA!!!!!  :cool2: Anyways to throw it out there my plan A to get rifleman kind of got blown out of the water but luckily there's a plan B just go to another Appleseed.  ^:)^ But I have little problem I have no means of transportation to get myself out there  !@#) and the thing is I really want to go and get my rifleman's patch and a orange hat...  :sos: So basically what I'm asking is, is there anybody going to the Piru Appleseed on the 13th and 14th where I can get a ride? I've asked Freeman and he said that he has a 50/50 of going so I'm asking around in case he can't. so if anybody can that it would be great and very much appreciated!!!!  :~ :~