News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR College Fenton, MI Oct. 02/03 2010

Started by techres, October 04, 2010, 03:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Another great shoot is over and ready for the history books.  It was a chilly, wet, and very muddy shoot.  Shooters stuck out some very unpleasant weather in order to spend time learning skills of marksmanship and history.  They all deserve our congratulations and thanks.

Each of you grew and learned - from the kids to the dangerous older folks - you all came away better than you began from my vantage point.  ANd you did it in good cheer.

Below are some pictures take from the shoot just to give a taste of what was accomplished this weekend:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

ITB

Great shoot, everyone, in spite of Mother Nature's best efforts to dampen our spirits.

Thanks to the students for gutting out a cold, wet, muddy Saturday, and a slightly better Sunday.  We really had a great bunch of shooters.  Congrats to Connie for shooting Rifleman.  We had a lot of others knocking on the door - keep dryfiring and practicing NPOA, and you'll be there faster than you think.

Techres and West, thanks for making that crazy drive from southern IN - glad you got home safely.  It was a pleasure meeting you and working with you both.

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Bill Winkle

All considered, this was a great weekend of shooting. I can not help but think everyones' positive attitude picked up those that were struggling at times with the weather. It was worth sticking it out too! There were a few times on Sunday when the clouds cleared, the welcome Sun rays poured down instead of rain and the fair weather shooting commenced  O0.

A big thank you to the club and our considerably generous host. Your assistance was well received and appreciated.

To all the shooters... WoW, you are the cream of the crop. Your dedication, perseverance and staying power really impressed me. More than once, especially during some of the particularly wet and muddy courses of fires, to see you walk out with your head held high was truly inspiring. You have Rifleman in your heart, the patch is just an upcoming formality. And I know you will do it too; sooo many excellent shooters who need just a few rounds to score that Rifleman. Thank you for letting me be a part of your weekend.

....Bill Winkle....

Johnnyappleseed

Looking good Michigan ! Folks who know what they are about  O0
Is that a German rifle Miki is shooting? 8)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Miki

WOW, you shooters really impressed me. The perseverance you showed was truly inspiring! That's the true sign of a rifleman (or riflewoman). As Bill stated, you have the heart, the patch for you is a formality. Stick with it, do that dry fire practice at home and come back.

Kim, amazing...from the 80s at your first AS to 192!!! Now, that's improvement!

MadHatter...we 'pink' gals gotta stick together. Welcome to the club Veronica. Anytime you want to use one of my rifles, just let me know. I'll have it there for you. (That goes for both of you.)

To all the shooters, your willingness to try new things inspired me. Tramping through the mud to see the results was FUN. Okay, I (perhaps) have a strange idea of fun. My idea is any weekend spent with folks willing to fight through the weather challenges to improve their marksmanship and learn about those who fought so we have the option they didn't is a fun weekend.

Techres and West, thanks for making that LONG drive to share the weekend with us.

Softseller, thanks for being the amazing range liaison you are. From setting up the line by headlights to taking it down you are there for us and I appreciate it. Not to mention being our resident photographer. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Connie, Michigan's newest rifleman, CONGRATS! Way to go!

JA...it's a SIG522...lol...I got stuck in the mud and couldn't make it to a seated position. So, as a rifleman does I adapted and did what I could.

Note to self: be sure to return the EIGHT pounds of mud I managed to drag home with me to Fenton next time I'm in the area.

BeeFree

Techres, you tryin' to get me in trouble with the boss for slacking off to soak up the sun on the line?  LOL - that pic is SO not flattering!  &)
I'm glad you and West and the rest of the crew who didn't have to drive as far got home safe and sound (if muddy and tired).  Below is the link to the pics softseller (our fabulous range rep) took...

http://www.shootsweets.com/uploads/AppleseedFentonOct2010web/index.html

There are many fantastic pics, including "proof of mud" shots.   ;D
He is working to get us on the calendar at Fenton again April 16-17, 2011.  I need a clapping smiley for that - oooo this one will work  ^:)^

I have to say that was as persistent a bunch of shooters as we had at the winterSeed last March - probably because it was a bunch of the SAME shooters!! It was good to see you all again - and early thanks to the future orange hats, and a big congrats to Connie on scoring Rifleman.  8) Hope to see you all again on the trail soon!

BeeFree  :~
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

gidaeon

I had barely left the parking lot Sat. when my wife of her own accord stated, "I want to go to another one. Sun. next time.. what about that shoot in Lapeer?" considering the weather that's quite a win! I walked away with new lessons learned, and still greater appreciation for all those volunteering each time. Thanks again! The problem I see is thinking about future events before the current one is over.

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

sprocket58

Miki...thanks for the nice comment.  I had a great time in the mud and hope to get to another shoot soon ...sans mud  ;D

All of the instructors were amazing an I felt that a lot came together for me this weekend and even with the 192 I felt like a rifleman.  I'd rather be in the mud than on the couch any day and hope to see more do the same.

Thanks also to superheat for the loan of a great 22 and thanks again to all of you instructors who stuck it out with us.

Superheat

Sproket,
I'm glad my .22 could help out.  Be sure to let me know when your next appleseed is.  I would be a big kick for me to have you get your patch with my rifle.  Did I hear rumors of and orange hat?    ..:..
Superheat.
"I'd rather be in the mud than on the couch any day"  Huzzah!

Johnnyappleseed

I should have guessed Miki :wall:Sig556 LOL
Superheat ,what an approriate sig line "Fred for President " Whooo Hoooo ^5
Congratulations to Connie   O0  and well done to the Michigan/Indianna folks who truly know what they are about .

Seems like a lifetime ago I had the honor of working with  you great folks at the Fenton venue . As I look at the pictures and see the names posted ,it feels like I was there again . Even rained/drizzled for the occasion  ;D

Nice work softseller O0

JA

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

West

It was so terrific to travel to MI this weekend.  Don't mind the weather, it's Appleseed that's important!

I was really excited about the shooters, they stuck it out and persisted.  Some very good shooters; I think Techres said it was an excellent demonstration of the natural shooting abilities of people from this area.  We had a great deal of excellence in the opening groups of the weekend, and it continued throughout.

It was a pleasure working with you all, and I hope to see you shooters and instructors again in the near future.

See you on the trail,

West :))

Some great mud, and a few good pics:

sprocket58

Superheat I'll be coming to your hood for the Lapeer shoot as I got on the wait list and loe an behold someone decided to ride the couch, oh well too bad for whoever had to cancel...  Oh my!!! I'd LOVE to earn my patch using your rifle ;D.  Sprocket is sure that there's some nutty peanut butter in it for you (not that I am in to bribery)
I was so excited I thought it was this weekend and was on a bit of a downer when I realized I'd have to wait two weeks....
peace to all...and can't wait to shoot at Lapeer.