News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where do you practice around New Orleans

Started by air, September 29, 2010, 12:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air

I'm from the metro St. Louis, MO area and am heading to metro New Orleans for a job starting Monday. I'm planning on taking my 10/22 and a couple of pistols but where does one go to shoot Appleseed style in your great state? I would hate to think I've put all these great Instructors and IIT's through torture, only to let their efforts grow moldy until I return back home.

Itchin' to sqeeeeeeeeeze the trigger in LA
Air ;) (this is what kind of face I make when I shoot)

spmcpeek

While I haven't been there personally, Honey Island comes highly recommended.  http://www.honeyisland.org/  Tell them about Appleseed, as I am working on trying to get events there.

alonso1

Hello Air

looks like you are in luck! Louisiana seems to be cranking out new Appleseed ranges all the time.

I believe Sherburne is the closest Appleseed to you for now.  According to google, it's about 100 miles north of N.O.  100 miles may seem like a drive, but it's worth the drive to be around good people who love their country and marksmenship.

Hope to see you on the range.

air

Sherburne is a possibility, but I've got to see what the work schedule looks like. Sometimes it's OT out the ears because they are so far behind. I hope there are plenty of decent places to stay because my camper won't be going with me.

O2 CO2
Air
:bow: Me doing my standing to prone transition practice.

alonso1

Quote from: air on September 29, 2010, 09:49:26 PM
I hope there are plenty of decent places to stay because my camper won't be going with me.

I usually stay at the Traveler's motel 17425 Highway 190, Port Barre - (337) 585-7642.  It's about $45.00 per night and located in the beautiful town of Port Barre which is around 20 minutes from the range.

air

Very cool! Won't know the job condition until I get there, but this is a definite maybe.
I wonder how long it will take for me to break my rifle this time.

O2CO2
Air

skyfein

I go to the Honey Island range pretty often. It's a great outdoor range. It's 45 minutes from New Orleans. The hours are a little limited (right now it's Fri. 1-6, weekends 8-6). You might find the range a little crowded on weekends, since it's hunting season and everyone's zeroing their new scope. But that just means you might wait a few minutes to get a spot on the line. It's a staffed range, with friendly (for the most part) range officers, all of them volunteers. It's very well run, safe, orderly, with good procedures. It's $6 per person.

I've never shot prone there. I'm not sure how they'll accommodate that. By putting you off the end of the line, maybe? I'll be interested to find out.

Okay, some stuff you'll probably want to know... To get to the range, you'll need to enter the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area, which completely surrounds it. And that means that technically, you'll need a "Wild Louisiana Stamp." I think it costs around $5.50 and you can buy it online. (It's not a hunting or a fishing license. Those cost more. This just lets you ENTER state game lands.) When you buy it, you'll be able to print out a page that will serve as a temporary pass for a couple weeks, until your real pass arrives in the mail.

The pass is valid for a year. If you don't buy a Wild Louisiana Stamp and you go to the range anyway, you COULD be checked by a WMA game warden, and you COULD be ticketed. In fact, each person in the vehicle needs a stamp, and each person could get a separate ticket for not having one.

Here is a link to buy a Wild Louisiana stamp...

https://www1.la.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/licCtrl.php?start=1&site=lahf

And by the way, the RANGE doesn't care if you have the Wild Louisiana Stamp, and they will not ask to see it. It's only the state wardens who care, if they're around, that is, and if they're in that sort of mood.

Honey Island has no official street address, which makes it tough to find using Google maps. This address will do the trick:
105590 Old US Hwy 11, Pearl River, LA 70452

If you have other questions about Honey Island, post 'em or PM me, I'm happy to help.

(By the way, Sherburne is also very nice -- it has longer hours, sunrise to sunset, I believe, and is unstaffed, so it's kind of anything goes. That has its ups and downs. It's also on state gamelands, so technically, you'll still need a Wild Louisiana Stamp.)

air

I'm staying out in Kenner so I'm going to try Nick's range in Garyville.
http://local.yahoo.com/info-18145470-nick-s-shooting-range-garyville
It's about 25 miles from where I am and I'll see if I can shoot prone. Otherwise, there's just no point if I can't get the kind of practice I need. I'm hoping I can go up the Sherburne Appleseed next weekend and want to get some range time in before that.

Air
O2 CO2