News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Desoto range update Oct 2-3.

Started by mikaldulee, September 27, 2010, 11:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikaldulee

Just thought I would post this.

There are 28 pre-regs for the Desoto MO shoot.  There are only 4 instructors signed up so far.
:sos:

Greg in MO

We were waiting to see how the numbers were going to fall out in our 2 shoots this weekend.  Thor's Hammer previously indicated he would be available, and I think he would be best utilized at Desoto.  So that will give you 5 at least.

Gromit, HectorFuego, Robin and I (and maybe Rebel Yell) will cover Bates City. 

I understand we have a couple of new IITs as well.  If they can make it to Desoto they can probably be put to good use.  Mike's right... Contact Instructor Scheduling and get signed up!

Greg

cmidkiff

I'd love to see our newer IIT's at one of these events...  Nemo Hunter, WitchyWoman, TK, CelticMind... Come on out!  Let's get you moving along on the instructor track... believe me, we'll need these fine folks next year! 

CelticMind: I have your orange hat in my truck...

We've long been spoiled here in MO on having a very low instructor to student ratio.  It's great if we can do that... but honestly, 4 instructors and 28 students is a 7-1 ratio... and that's not that bad.  Four is a good number of instructors, gives us a line boss, an RSO on each end, and someone floating.  We can handle a fairly large shoot with that.

If Thor's Hammer is available to come out to DeSoto, that gives us 3 red hats and two fairly well experienced orange hats.  We should be able to handle whatever they throw at us.  An extra orange hat or two would make things that much better.

I'm planning to arrive on site around 6pm on Friday.  If any of the KC area 'hats' want to tag along, there's plenty of room in the truck (Rebel Yell?  Ben1775?).  I'll be camping for the weekend.  Hope to see yall soon!

Greybeard

Thor's Hammer

I unfortunately cannot make the Desoto AS this weekend. I tried to keep the calendar clear, but life has snuck up on me. I am also running into time constraints at the Dar, getting things ready for the RBC and all.

Again, apologies :(

Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

cmidkiff

No problem Jason.  Thanks for all the hard work you've put into the DAR.  We'll be just fine in DeSoto, though it would have been nice to have you there.  I'll see you in October!

Quote from: Thor's Hammer on September 27, 2010, 03:22:42 PM
I unfortunately cannot make the Desoto AS this weekend. I tried to keep the calendar clear, but life has snuck up on me. I am also running into time constraints at the Dar, getting things ready for the RBC and all.

Again, apologies :(

Jason

Jungle George

We will make it alright, I'm bringing a young man with me so that is 29.  So far they are claiming good weather so maybe more will turn out.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

mikaldulee

This is a very nice place to camp.  Big fire ring, running stream, flat ground, latrines...

Chris, or anyone, if you are tight on space let me know.  I have a large two room tent I will let AS folks use.

Greg in MO

Looks like Bates City is up in the 20's on preregs as well.  With the beautiful weather we are expecting, this could be one of our biggest Appleseed weekends in MO thus far...

Sounds like fun!

Greg

mikaldulee

Missouri Brigade

I have the carbine class put on by Templar223 and The Editor this weekend.

I'm sure you will have some shooters affiliated with the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club as well as the 67 Gun Club in Farmington.  These were mentioned quite a bit while working the Belleville, IL gun show.  Talk them up, we need to approach these clubs in the winter.

http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/
http://www.67gunclub.org/

cmidkiff

I have talked to folks at Arnold, in fact, one of their board members is a guy I know from MissouriCarry.org.  They've never shown any interest.

67 Gun I'm unfamiliar with.  If they have a representative at this weekend's shoot, I'd be more than happy to talk to them.

Rebel Yell is coming out with me this evening, that gives us 1 more very knowledgeable red hat.  We should be good to go on instructors.

Greybeard

Greg in MO

Chris,

Can we borrow any of your girls this weekend at Bates?  With only 4 instructors (and one of those calling the line) we are going to be scramblin'.  One of your girls would probably be a big help.  Just curious...

Greg

Greg in MO

Looks like 39 preregs at Desoto, 32 at Bates...  With walkons we are going to be busy!

If any of you IITs feel like coming to Bates, we'd be happy to have you.

Greg

cmidkiff

Sorry Greg, first, I didn't see this until just now, 2nd, the only one of my girls available was Kaitlyn, and she didn't want to do two Appleseeds back to back.

Yeah, it was a busy weekend... but fun!

Greybeard

Jubes

Just returned from the Desoto Appleseed Project. And I felt my first post should reflect how impressed I was at the level of instructors and how humbled I was by the AQT. By the end of the second day, this old body was giving out and my scores were actually going down. I only wish I shot as consistently well in my target as I did in my neighbors... It sure gets confusing when they all look alike!

My best didn't hold a candle to my wife who shot a 202. I was SO proud of her! With a little more practice, and a gun that functioned better, I'm sure she'd be a rifleman!

All in all, great time and decent weather! Thank Greybeard, Mike Dooley, Rebel Yell, Jungle George, Witchy Woman and any others I missed! I'm going to plug it at my local club, Arnold Rifle and Pistol as well. Maybe they'll get enough member interest to show some interest.

Thanks again! Looking forward to using what I've learned and trying again sometime! Got some AQT's on order from Fred's and will see how my Marine son will do next week while he's on leave and also to try to get some interest at the club by targeting the Red coats.