News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full range AQT

Started by mtknives, September 24, 2010, 09:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtknives

How do you do the full range qualifying? how big of target? timed the same way as the aqt?

nemohunter

it simply depends on whether or not your ready for a KD AQT. we shoot D targets full size targets at full range. KD rifleman score is 200 VS the 210 for the 25 meter AQT. wind and mirage can and do play a big role in KD. same time frame but no shifting.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

mtknives

KD? what is that. so the targets are square of same shape with multiple scores or is it a hit or miss type of thing. And can you do that at a normal appleseed shoot or only at the bootcamp and stuff?

eaglescouter

KD = Known Distance = Full Distance AQT

Bell shaped targets that are engaged at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards using the USGI 'D' Target.  Done on Sunday at Appleseed where possible.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

mtknives

Thanks for clarifying that. I hope to do that soon.

marrandy

Quote from: eaglescouter on September 25, 2010, 12:12:27 AM
KD = Known Distance = Full Distance AQT

Bell shaped targets that are engaged at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards using the USGI 'D' Target.  Done on Sunday at Appleseed where possible.

Let me clarify this.

KD = Known Distance  This can be ANY known distance.  50 yards, 100, 200, 300, 400 or anything in between.

Full Distance AQT = 400 yards

Thor's Hammer

mtknives, come out to the Oct 23-24 shoot in Osage Beach and you will have an opportunity to shoot a KD AQT. I know you shot the score in Sept at the 25m range. We will also have the new 100yd AQT range set up, with targets at 25,50,75 and 100. This will enable students that only have a .22 to be able to shoot at different distances.

At the Sept AS, some of the students went over to the KD range. They did not use the paper targets, but rather a steel plate painted with a full size redcoat. Nothing was actually done for score, but "hits" were counted. This gave the students an opportunity to apply their learned skills to actual distance. It was a tremendous example of NPOA and the 6 steps. Pulling a shot 2-3MOA at 25m translates to 6-9" at 300 yds. Add to the fact that the target is only 20" wide, if you tug a shot by 4 or more MOA, you will surely miss. Also adds the dimension of being able to see the target. This amplifies the need to focus your eye on the front sight, because if you don't, another miss.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

mtknives

That would be fun I'm not sure if i will make it or not.

dart67eb

Quote from: Thor's Hammer on October 04, 2010, 06:53:29 PM
mtknives, come out to the Oct 23-24 shoot in Osage Beach and you will have an opportunity to shoot a KD AQT. I know you shot the score in Sept at the 25m range. We will also have the new 100yd AQT range set up, with targets at 25,50,75 and 100. This will enable students that only have a .22 to be able to shoot at different distances.

brilliant!  I'm going to try to round up some of those election sign stands after the election and post some of the 100yd targets at these distances for a 100m  mini fd aqt.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

nemohunter

we do that quite a bit. print out the 100m standing portion of the QDAQT. post one at 25m one at 50m one at 75m and one at 100m. they will be your 100, 200, 300, and 400 repectivley.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

DWillis

Quote from: nemohunter on October 07, 2010, 07:26:39 AM
we do that quite a bit. print out the 100m standing portion of the QDAQT. post one at 25m one at 50m one at 75m and one at 100m. they will be your 100, 200, 300, and 400 repectivley.
Thanks for this suggestion. I would not have thought about it.  At my range, I don't have a 25m mark, but I do have a 50m mark and am looking how to set up the AQT at 50m.  So, I would think that in using the 100m @ 50 covers the 200m, and the 200m @ 50m would cover 300m, and the 300m @ 50m would cover the 400.  I guess if I'm able to hit those @ 50m I'll be good to go @ the 25m.

jmdavis

Shoot them as is at 50 yards or meters. If you get good at it, you will really shine at 25m.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner