News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL September 11, 12 2010

Started by ItsanSKS, September 17, 2010, 12:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

This event, as have all previous events at the venerable Ancient City Shooting Range, has been a thing of wonder.  From the obvious talent displayed by the Instructors, to the determination, tenacity, and willingness to learn displayed by those in attendance, a Shoot Boss could not have asked for more!

Shortly before dawn on September 11, 2010, four men donned their respective caps, rolled up their sleeves, and prepared to devote 110% of themselves for the next 32 hours.
Their mission?  To reawaken the passion for liberty within the hearts and minds of their fellow Americans- to instill within them the martial skills of rifle marksmanship, and to inform them of the price paid by so few, so that so many could live in Freedom.

Your instructors for this event were: Jon "JollyNator", Terry "Theri", John "Dr. John", and Eric "ItsanSKS".

With preparations begun in earnest, the stage was set- as the actors began taking their places, the audience slowly filed in.  By 9:00 am, more than twenty of our fellow Americans had arrived, cautiously optimistic. 

With an obviously eager group of folks before them, the instructors introduced themselves and delved right in- first up was Theri, with a flawless recitation of the "Four Safety Rules".  After ensuring that his charges were fully aware of the ramifications inherent to the use of a rifle, JollyNator stepped up to the plate, and informed his students of the various line commands that they would be hearing for the rest of the weekend.  Dr. John then fired the first salvo, aimed directly at the hearts of the men, women and children in attendance.  With his audience fully captivated, John began recounting for them the dire circumstances our founding generation found themselves in on the morning of April 19th- vastly outnumbered, yet unafraid, the men of Lexington stood shoulder to shoulder, determined to stand against tyranny and oppression. 

Freshly educated in what challenges some men are willing to face, these twenty-some students determined to face their own challenges, and challenges they would face, indeed!

As rifles were brought to the line, students were each issued a target representing the "Red Coats" our forebears had to fight- would they be successful?  Would they stand a chance?  As the scores were tallied, it became readily apparent that these fine folk, though enthusiastic, were in need of some serious remedial schooling on how to properly utilize a rifle. 

So begins their education on the fundamentals- from the six steps, to proper cadence, instructors passed along the knowledge and wisdom gleaned from hundreds of thousands of riflemen.  Positions were corrected, sights adjusted, and issues of all kinds were first detected, then overcome. 

Not until they were fully exhausted did the students get a reprieve from the instruction- a short respite to include a delicious course from Sonny's BBQ, and then ItsanSKS took center stage for the presentation of the Second Strike.  Hearing of the reactions in Concord, the preparations made, and of the ultimate sacrifice by Isaac Davis, it would seem that many in the audience had an allergic reaction to some form of pollen that was blowing in the wind, as surely a story of a man who died more than two hundred years ago couldn't bring tears to a grown mans eyes...

With their hunger sated, energy stores refilled, and a fresh perspective of just how good they had it, the students once again delved into the instruction, determined to show their ancestors that they, too, could perservere through arduous conditions.  As their bodies became more exhausted, their positions became more natural- more relaxed.  In spite of the impending loss of motor function, their groups were shrinking!  Could it be a miracle?  Was some divine intervention at work here?  To be sure, some of the instruction was good, but was it *that* good? 

Before testing the students ability on the dreaded AQT, Dr. John once again stepped to the plate and delivered the third, and final strike; a retelling of the retreat of the British Regulars towards Boston, or, the Successful Repulsion of the Agents of Tyranny. 

Collecting their thoughts, magazines and ammunition, the students began making their final preparations.  The AQT was yet to come, and they would need every ounce of energy, the full focus of their minds in order to clear that final hurdle. 

Alas, it was not to be; though many showed great promise, none passed the test this day.  Dejected and disappointed, students were cautioned not to be too hard on themselves, as the day had been tough, and much information had been gone over.  Though they had not yet scored Rifleman on the AQT, their progression was obvious to a trained eye... Time to show them just how much progress they had made, in a single day.  Each student was presented with a second opportunity to see how they would fare against the Red Coats.  Far from their laughable attempt a mere eight hours previous, these tired and sore shooters showed that they had indeed learned a thing or two, with more than half the group now able to consistently make hits on the target representing two hundred yards, and the rest of them able to do so at one hundred yards with dull regularity. 
A few students proved that they had acquired the skills necessary for hits at three hundred yards and beyond, with one young student making consistent hits on every target!

With the days marksmanship instruction concluded, it were determined that the youngsters in our midst deserved recognition for their dedication and temerity.  Nearly two-thirds of the line were under the age of majority, with some too young to be driving.  The ideals that this nation was founded upon are being taken to heart by the generation that follows, and if this event was any indication, those ideals have found fertile soil, and will blossom into a tree whose fruits will be shared by all. 

Sunday morning arrived altogether too early, yet against all odds, students and instructors alike dragged themselves out of bed and off to the rifle range.  Determined to teach, and determined to learn, lessons were gone over in great detail.  Every possible question asked, and answered.  Positions tweaked.  Fundamentals firmly entrenched.  The concepts that once seemed hocus pocus now became clear.  As students were turned instructor for ten minutes, they gained valuable insight into how even minor deviation from the information presented could have a dramatic impact on their abilities. 

During the exceptionally short break for lunch, ItsanSKS began telling the true stories of the Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women of April 19th, 1775.  Upon hearing of men such as Samuel Whittemore, and Hezekia Wyman, and the tremendous courage displayed by the women of Pepperil, the students gained a respect for the sacrifices made, and the price paid, all so that the present generation would have the possibility, however remote, to live in the Land of the Free. 

Lessons given, marksmanship improving a dramatic clip, another opportunity to gauge their skill with a rifle was presented- AQT's for everyone!  Scores showing impressive improvement from the previous days' attempt, still no Riflemen... What are these targets telling us?!  With their targets telling them everything that they were doing wrong, students were given yet ANOTHER opportunity.  This time, success!  After perservering through two arduous days of instruction, dealing with equipment issues and mental blocks, Rifleman Craig finally made the grade, with an outstanding score of 227, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that he, indeed, 'knows well what he is about'. 

With so many scores in the high 100's, and 75 yards behind them as of yet unused except as a place for their vehicles, it were determined that everyone present possessed the wherewithal to push their abilities. 

After a short discussion on some of the finer points of shooting at Known Distances, the firing line was moved to 100 yards.  Strangely enough, those huge squares looked awfully small, nearly as small as those little one-inch squares from that mornings instruction!  Odd how that Minute of Angle thing works in real time, isn't it?

In true St. Augustine fashion, as the firing line moved, so too moved the clouds. 

Dark, ominous, and full of rain, Mother Nature saw fit to give a brief respite from the oppressive heat and humidity.  A light rain accompanied by strong winds tested the mettle of these men women and children, yet undeterred, they pressed on; fully engaged in their Riflemans Bubble, sighter rounds went down range, after correcting for their bullets' trajectory, another group was fired, as confirmation.  With rifles now properly zeroed for the distance, each student was handed a target that seemed remarkably similar to the Stage 1 target from the AQT... Somewhat incredulous, they each took careful aim, worked through the six steps, and began firing in perfect cadence.  Oh what a scene- over a dozen patriots, of all shapes and ages, completely oblivious to the maelstrom around them.     

As shooters retrieved their targets, something astonishing was discovered.  Soaked to the bone, reeling from the days instruction, a young shooter, who, previous to this day had never handled a rifle, let alone shot at a target some 100 yards away, pulled down a target that held no less than 9 holes, perfectly situated within the scoring rings of the target.  (a shame that that last round just WOULDN'T fire)  10yr old Shona received a hearty round of applause, and gained the admiration everyone, even though some were slightly jealous of her score...

With the skies beginning to clear, and their rifles packed away, each student slowly began to file out.  Saddened by the ending of such a wonderful weekend, yet hearts filled with joy for all they had accomplished, each of them in their own way voiced their appreciation for the four volunteers who dutifully gave of themselves for the benefit of our nation. 

I would like to thank each and everyone who attended this event, as both your instructor and fellow American.  YOU are the reason I do what I do, and the smiles, heart-felt thank-you's, and handshakes are all the payment I could ask for.  Thank you for your willingness to put up with the instructors, your desire to push on through the heat, enduring all the small trials and tribulations that each of you had to face. 

I believe I speak for all of my fellow instructors in saying that it was a great honor to serve as your instructor this weekend, and I would gladly share the line with you again if ever given the opportunity to do so.

In Liberty,

ItsanSKS

Now, for some pictures!

Saturday Group Photo:

Working on Prone Position:

A family affair:

Dr. John hams it up for the camera:

Young Patriots recognized for their accomplishments:

I look forward to reading your comments, and hope that some of you were able to take pictures on Sunday... If you need an assistance in posting them, just let me know, and I'll be sure to get them up here.
Again, it was a pleasure, and I hope to work with all you again sometime soon!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Earl

How do you always schedule to finish in the rain? Must be a Florida thing. Nice shoot, and great write up and pictures. Hope to see them all on the trail.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

ItsanSKS

Quote from: Earl on September 17, 2010, 12:39:28 AM
How do you always schedule to finish in the rain? Must be a Florida thing.

I put in a requisition form, in triplicate, nearly two months in advance, for said rain.  Heat and humidity is never enough to truly test ones mettle.  A good gusher, free from lightning, is just the ticket.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

caseyblane

Eric,
Thanks for your dedication of not only attending and running superb events but also giving us such wonderful after action reports. I look forward to reading them.

Dr. John, so nice to finally meet you again and thanks for making the trip down. Theri, always a pleasure, thanks for helping me with my new sling. Jollynator, I'm in awe of your dedication to the cause, thanks for making the trip down to Florida once again and reminding me that you've been at every Appleseed event that I have not shot a rifleman score  &) (That would be all of them. Good thing I CAN cook.)

What a wonderful thing, to take up arms in peaceful practice of the traditions of our forefathers and make new friends in the process. Like Fred has said, you start to look at your regular old friends in a different way and wonder why they don't carry the torch of liberty like the new Appleseed friends.

I've already had a request for promotions materials from a brand new 7th stepper. If any other new Appleseeders would like to get their friends to an event and help let others know about the program, please contact me via PM to get some materials to get started.

New Appleseeders, follow the link in my signature and get signed up for the FL Appleseed Project eNewsletter.
Casey
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

TEA 597

Special thanks to all the instructors: Jon "JollyNator", Terry "Theri", John "Dr. John", and Eric "ItsanSKS
This was the first time I attended one of your events. I had read about them in my "Backwoods Magazine. I have shot handguns several times but only a few times on a shotgun. I was having a tough time with a borrowed shotgun with a tube feed on Sat so I went out and bought my own 22 and yes if you recall it is pink! I went to work on Monday and could hardly move I was so sore. Told my team (they are all ex-military) all about it, even took my targets to show them. They all laughed so hard at my expert groupings :) but that's OK I was happy I even hit the paper! I am practicing and hope to make it back next month. It is wonderful how helpful and dedicated to this project you all are. It was great you all took the time to help this old girl learn to shoot better and I had a great time.

RickB

Ah yes, ItsAnSKS and rain.
I've shoot-bossed a few events where he has joined us.  He always looks a little lost when he realizes that I haven't requisitioned precipitation!
Actually there is an explanation.  ItsAnSKS has, so far, done all of the East coast shoots and afternoon summer rain is almost guaranteed over there.

Good shoot, good AAR!  Congratulations and thanks to all of the shooters and crew.

RickB