News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where to find an affordable 10/22 in the Atlanta area?

Started by rej1022, September 14, 2010, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rej1022

My wife is getting a 10/22 to gear up for the Oct. Toccoa shoot and we've been having trouble finding one for a reasonable price.  I was disappointed to see that many of the big box stores around here aren't carrying guns at all as that is usually where I look first.  I live in Marietta if that helps.  Went to a gun shop today and they were asking 250 for a plain jane carbine #)

I know there's a Dick's up in Kennesaw, so I'll probably call and see if they carry them, but it would be nice to find something closer.  The sports authority I struck out at was inside the perimeter, so that may have been the problem.

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Rob

flytz

You can find Ruger 10/22 at Bass Pro in Duluth for about 219-229, also I believe some of the walmarts up north carry them maybe a few bucks cheaper.

I also search gunbroker.com from time to time, I've never seen them for under $200.  They really hold their value, and most people keep them forever.

cswhitfield

The WalMarts in Griffin, Conyers and McDonough still sell guns.  There is also a Dicks on the Southside.  I can't remember the road or exit number but it is the exit before you get to Ga. 20 headed south.  Turn right off of the exit ramp. It is on the left.  Also there is a Dicks downtown Atlanta on Peachtree.  Last time I checked at WalMart the plain jane 10-22 was $157.00.  The synthetic stock S.S. a little over $200.00.  Dicks still has the Marlin 795 for $130.00 and Marlin has a $25.00 rebate good through the end of the year.  I love mine.  It out shoots all three of my 10-22s.  The 795 already has studs installed for a sling.  All you need is 1.25" swivels and sling.  Tech Sights sells the same type of sight for the Marlin as for the 10-22 or you can mount a scope.
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

sanderman79

I got mine at the Walmart in Conyers, but Craig is right, the 795 is a sweet shoot and a good deal to boot.

Deadeye

I'll "third" the Marlin 795. You can't beat it for the price. cswhitfield posted TWO Rifleman scores with one this past weekend!

rej1022

Thanks for the replies.  I think Dick's is my best shot since it sounds like they still carry.

My wife's pretty set on a ruger, but thanks for the suggestion on the marlin.  She has this thing about synthetic stocks.  Also I've already ordered parts to fix up the trigger and the tech sights for it so we're locked in.  Besides, I like the 10/22 as a project gun and mine puts up some pretty nice groups with just a little trigger work.

Old Dog

I got mine at a small gun store for a great price.  It was old, the stock wasn't pretty but it works and shoots great.

Check out the smaller gun stores and pawnshops (unless you're heart is set on a new rifle).  Refinishing a stock (wood stock) is pretty easy and if you spend a little time and effort on it it will look nicer than the new stocks.

Good luck on your search.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

cswhitfield

If you are interested in using up some shoe leather checking pawn shops looking for a "ragged out" 10-22 at a cheap price I have a brand new wood stock and barrel for a 10-22.  Both are in excellent/as new shape (never used).  Several years ago I ran accross a deal on a target barrel and stock.  I ended up buying a new 10-22 just for the action.  I "robbed" the receiver/action the day I bought it, put the barrel back in the stock, slid them back in the plastic sleeve and stuck it in the back corner of the safe.  They have been there ever since. If you are into complete builds I think you can get complete receivers & bolts from Rimfire Technologies.  I'm not sure what they are worth so if you are intrested make me an offer. 

Craig
ps: Check out Adventure Outdoors for both new and used rifles.  They are close to you.
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Piker

Cherokee Gun and Pawn in Canton. They have them for 200 usually, and you can also get a box of Blazer 22lr for $19.99. Pick up a Mosin Nagant for $100 there too while you are at it!
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

BlackSheep

If you are still looking the Walmart in Cartersville has them, Dicks in Kennesaw has them (they feel the need to call in transfers even if you have a GA carry license), and Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna. I like to spread around my purchases a little. :)

I like the little Ruger....the used one I spotted in the stack of used 22s at Adventure Outdoors now has TechSights for my first Appleseed.

Marlin makes good stuff too, I have a Cowboy lever gun from them that is the sweetest shooting gun I own!

Hope that helps.....
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Benjamin Franklin

goose

The Loganville Wally-world carries Rifles and shotguns (still) and has a "custom" sporter-rifle, with the long barrel and swivel included for $212.  Wally's east of town still have FFL's.

To keep your local shops in business...

There is also a new shop in Dacula, Guns and Gear on Hwy 29, 770.338.2300
Mainstreet Arms on Arcado in Lilburn, about a mile east of Hwy 29 toward Killian Hill Rd.
David's Gun Room on Buford Hwy about 8 miles north of 285.

http://www.searchpeopledirectory.com/yellow-pages/yp_results.php?ReportType=44&qbn=Gun+and+Hunting+and+Fishing+Clubs&qc=Auburn&qs=GA

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

snaphook75

I would prefer doing business with a small shop, such as Cherokee Gun and Pawn, in Canton (previously mentioned) where they treat you like something other than a sociopath. Dick's is one of my worst gun-buying experiences. Not only did they eliminate the handgun line when they bought Galyan's (according to one of their sales associates, because "Dick says handguns are made only to kill people"), but when I bought a 10/.22 from them, not only did they require what is legally required (i.e., the Federal 4473), but made me fill out another Dick's gun buyer form, stating how many children under 18 were in my home, and other assorted none-of-your-business type stuff.  Then, as the final insult, the gun salesman had to walk the little rifle to the cashier with me and stood there while I paid. He then walked it out the front door onto the sidewalk before handing it over to me.

You can get a 10/.22 for the same price or cheaper at Cherokee, and other gun/pawn shops, without the humiliation!

Snap

rej1022

Quote from: snaphook75 on September 21, 2010, 10:07:32 AM
I would prefer doing business with a small shop, such as Cherokee Gun and Pawn, in Canton (previously mentioned) where they treat you like something other than a sociopath. Dick's is one of my worst gun-buying experiences. Not only did they eliminate the handgun line when they bought Galyan's (according to one of their sales associates, because "Dick says handguns are made only to kill people"), but when I bought a 10/.22 from them, not only did they require what is legally required (i.e., the Federal 4473), but made me fill out another Dick's gun buyer form, stating how many children under 18 were in my home, and other assorted none-of-your-business type stuff.  Then, as the final insult, the gun salesman had to walk the little rifle to the cashier with me and stood there while I paid. He then walked it out the front door onto the sidewalk before handing it over to me.

You can get a 10/.22 for the same price or cheaper at Cherokee, and other gun/pawn shops, without the humiliation!

Snap

Oops, read these suggestions a bit too late and opted for humiliation at Dicks.  I was prepared though as that's where I got mine.  Not really a big deal.  Price was 209 new and got a box of blazers for 18 so it was worth it.  She really wanted something new anyway, so it worked out.  Thanks again for the help.  Might have to check out that shop and pick up a Nagant as soon as I can scrape together a bit of cash.

cswhitfield

Glad you got what you really wanted without too much hassel.  A deal is not really a deal if you have to settle for something other than what you really want.  I agree with supporting independent gun shops when possible.  However money is tight for just about everyone now days.  I bought both of my 795s at Dick's south of Atlanta.  Two different salesmen, two different attitudes.  Neither called in a background check since I have a CCP.  The first ignored the Dick's Form (children under 18, etc) but the second refused to sell the gun without it (I refused at first).  Both walked the rifle up to the cashier but neither to the door.  Each time I have purchased a firearm from Wally World a manager actually walked the firearm to my vehicle. 

Craig
ps: Both salesmen at Dick's did take some Appleseed flyers to put on their gun counter.  I went back and checked and the actually put them out for anyone interested.