News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN, - - September 4, 5, 6, 2010

Started by dond, September 07, 2010, 12:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

This is just a placeholder. I have just finished an RBC and the three day AS at Puryear and must go to Nashville for a couple of days. I invite others to pitch in with comments and pictures.

We did have 31 shooters and 12 Riflemen.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

sleepy Joe

By the numbers

MosinMan

Had a GREAT time Sunday (I could only do one day this time).  Thank you all so much for hosting the event and for all the help and pushing me over the top to get my Rifleman patch!  Looking forward to coming out next time you host an event in Puryear.  Range was super and the folks were ALL incredible!   :bow:

Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing some pics!

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. 
~Thomas Paine

dond

This three day Appleseed came at the end of an RBC, and as a result, we had several instructors available to help. We assembled in the air conditioned clubhouse for an introductory meeting. Redbeard  presented a fantastic history preamble. An introduction to April 19 was also given, followed by the typical Appleseed expectations, safety, and commands.

With a total of 31 shooters for the three days, the line was fairly long and we proceeded somewhat slower then normal.

Appleseed playing cards were handed out to the shooters during the morning meeting, and they were told to assume the identity of the cards during the day. During lunch, each of these Patriots introduced themselves and revealed their short biographies. The story of Lexington was also presented. In order to tell something of all three strikes on the first day, a very brief synopsis of Concord and the retreat along Battle Road was also given. The complete story of these events was given on the second day, with Big Mama presenting a heart wrenching  story of Concord, while Redbeard produced another superb performance with the third strike.

Returning to the firing line on the first day we managed to complete one AQT, which produced two Riflemen. The following day, nine more Riflemen were produced, while an additional one earned his patch on the final day. We were delighted to have 12 Riflemen out of 31 shooters, a 39% rate.

During the afternoon of the second day, those who had shot RM scores were given the opportunity of moving to the 100 yard range with their 22s or moving to the 600 yard range with centerfires. They chose the 100 yard range. On the third day, some chose to zero their centerfires, but only one of the RM who remained afterward chose to go to the 600 yard range with his centerfire, as well as with another centerfire he had borrowed from a generous instructor. He was enthusiastic about his experience.

In fact, everyone seemed appreciative and enthusiastic about what they had learned during the event. One lady had flown up from Southern Florida to attend with her family from Tennessee. She was so pleased that she intends to try to find a range for Appleseeds near her home, upon returning, and become an instructor. Are you reading this ItsanSKS?  ;D

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

dond

OOPS!  #) After going over my notes more carefully, I discovered we only had 11 Riflemen instead of 12.

Furthermore, I neglected to mention that we had three very young people who were mature and well behave beyond their years. Two shot from a sandbag. They all did well and earned their Youth Patches.  O0

ie

Those three young people (11, 10, 8 years old) truly enjoyed the event. They shot over 1500 rounds between the 3 of them. This was more rounds then they had shot in their lifetime, previously they probably had less than 200 rounds through a rifle between them. The first day they needed help getting their magazines loaded, slings on, etc. That night they were very tired and so I did not bring them back on Sunday. By Monday they were ready to shoot again. By the end of the day Monday, they knew the routine and were prepping mags and ready to go before "Shooters, your preparation period begins now".

I see quite a few ruger 10/22's in my future. I might have to make them buy their own ammo, because they will want to shoot all the time at home now. Once the younger kids see how much fun these 3 are having, I will need to buy quite a bit.

I would like to thank all the instructors and fellow appleseeders who lent guns rifles to the kids and me. I also shot more rounds during the bootcamp then I had previously shot in my entire life.

I also learned a ton at the bootcamp, including that Riflemen shoot rifles, not guns, don't drag wood unless you want a sore finger (dond has a way with reminding me not to that eventually got through even my thick skull), and good people abound at appleseed events.
One other thing I learned is that wearing a shooting jacket that says "Master Instructor" helps you shoot a rifleman score. :)

Instructing others was really fun. It was great to see them get their rifleman score. Looking forward to getting more chances to instruct.

Big Gear

Had a great time in Puryear! Instructors were great! Looking forward to the next time. :D