News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

opportunity

Started by franklinfarmer, September 06, 2010, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

Saturday October 9 is open range day at the West Georgia Youth Range.  This is an event, as I understand it, put on by the county government who donated the land to the range, and it gives a chance for the government to advertise the range and have an open day for all residents---in some measure justifying the donation to the WGYR association.  There will be some sort of concessions operating and a "turkey shoot" (I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I guess I'll find out).  In any case, we have been offered a pistol pit for our use to advertise Appleseed, set up a demo, or whatever else we would like to do to promote the range and Appleseed. 

Note:  There is a regular Appleseed scheduled for the previous weekend October 2-3. 

Any ideas and participation would be welcomed.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

PHenry

Speaking of "FF", old FunFaler used to say, opportunity missed is opportunity lost.  :o :o

Got any pretty girl Appleseeders up thar? Nothing like a pretty girl to draw attention to your display. Another good attention gitter is a fine, American-made rifle, such as a pretty Garand or even a tarted up 1022.

Go get 'um GA!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

jmdavis

Usually at an organized event a Turkey shoot is a fundraiser where you sign up, pay a fee and fire one shot with a shotgun (using the provided ammunition) at a 5x5 card with X across it. All that I have seen are shot at 35 yards (+-)The winner wins a Turkey or a portion of the entry fees or whatever us being shot for that round It's a fun way to socialize and shoot in a fairly low pressure environment. It's also usually a good fundraiser if you have enough people.

Good luck.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Fred

So, you set up a target line with some Redcoats, and offer them a chance to shoot one for a $1 donation (to pay for ammo) - maybe let the kids and women shoot free - if so, make the donation $2 - and have a donation jug out with plenty of flyers.

This could be a lot of fun - for you, and for the attendees. In between, maybe you can post times for a brief story-telling - if there's not a noisy range right next door.

Lots of possibitities, here...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

jajjie123

I got to know this news from one of my friend. This is a good opportunity for me as I was thinking of donating some amount and now I can go with it. Do I have to fulfill some legal formalities before donating? My friend is also interested in this and may be we both donate as much as we can.

PHenry

jajjie123,
Many, many thanks for your kind offer!
I am not aware of any legal issues. A simple check made out to RWVA and sent to addy below orta do it. Our official RWVA accountant is none other than Master Instructor "Believer". If you send him a PM, I am sure he would know any details I am unaware of.

RWVA - IRP
P.O. Box 965
Morehead, KY 40351

Again, Many thanks,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata