News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Long Island 10/22 Gunsmith ?

Started by 10lrrp, September 05, 2010, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10lrrp

Anyone know a Gunsmith that's good with 10/22 's on Long Island NY.
thanks
Andy

douglas34474

What do you need done? I'm not in NY, but parts can be shipped easy.

10lrrp

Looking to install rear crossbolt and various accuracy tunes.

sparks1

Rear crossbolt??? You mean bolt buffer? Easy to do...drift out the old one and replace with a non-metal bolt buffer. Makes cycling softer and quieter.

Should you want experts to work on a 10/22, go to Rimfirecentral.com. It is the quientessential guide for 10/22's.
Lots of experience there and they can guide you to someone in your area.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

douglas34474

Quote from: 10lrrp on September 06, 2010, 10:59:39 AM
Looking to install rear crossbolt and various accuracy tunes.

I just glass or pillar bed mine. The crossblot really is more looks then function, there is just not enough recoil in the 10-22 platform to justify it, IMHO.

Have fun.

Douglas

10lrrp

Thanks Guy's
the search will continue,
I'll ask around on Rimfire

KodyJaret

The recoil of a 22 rimfire is not great, but to a precision shooter it is noticible.
In the 10/22 stock configurattion, the 'bolt stop', what I think the OP is referring to as a 'cross bolt' is steel. Replacing that with a recoil buffer prevents 'battering', the clash of steel on steel, aka; 'wear and tear'. I think it's a good idea.

10lrrp

A crossbolt anchors the receiver to the stock as part of a bedding job

douglas34474

Quote from: KodyJaret on September 07, 2010, 03:11:37 PM
The recoil of a 22 rimfire is not great, but to a precision shooter it is noticible.

True, but as the bullet is long gone out of the barrel it effects accuracy very little.

QuoteIn the 10/22 stock configurattion, the 'bolt stop', what I think the OP is referring to as a 'cross bolt' is steel. Replacing that with a recoil buffer prevents 'battering', the clash of steel on steel, aka; 'wear and tear'. I think it's a good idea.

No, 10lrrp is referring to a bedding method that uses the recoil buffer drilling as an anchor point at the rear of the receiver. The same results can be achieved with a glass bedding job.

While I make and use a composite bolt buffer, there are millions of 10-22s out there that have run for years without a replacement bolt stop. The bolt speed is almost nothing when the bolt hits the stop, so fears of 'wear and tear' are unfounded, IMHO. Have you ever seen a "battered" 10-22 bolt caused by a steel bolt stop?

KodyJaret

Many peolple have little use for buffers, that's true. I've put thousands of rounds through my 10/22 before installing the one that came in a 'parts kit'. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and as I say, I think it's a good idea. My 10/22 isn't bedded, it  may get that tratment sometime or other. Then I'll be more familiar w/ 'cross bolts'.

Recoil causes the gun to move,,,10/22 in stock configuration is pretty lite weight, the lighter the gun is, the more it moves. a buufer should contribute to dampen vibration and recoil, that should be a good thing. Bedding adds weight, in addition to dimensional stability, heavy barrels heat less quickly and dampen vibration and hopefully improve harmonics as well. These things are are supposed to be beneficial.

Apparently I misunderstood the OPs' concerns. My mistake.   

RATTLESNAKE

Send me an IM with your phone number and I will give you a call. I can help you if you need help.
"It is not yet too late to accommodate the dispute amicably. But I am of opinion, that, if once General Gage should lead his troops into the country, with design to enforce the late Acts of Parliament, Great Britain may take her leave, at least of the New-England colonies, and, if I mistake not, of all America. If there is any wisdom in the nation, God grant it may be speedily called forth!"
- written in a letter from Joseph Warren to Arthur Lee, 20 February 1775

TN_Dadx5

Most 10/22 problems can be fixed with bedding and some work on the bolt.  I've sent a couple 10/22 bolts to a guy named Que in AL and for $40 he's worked the extractor, profiled & cross pinned the firing pin, headspaced the bolt, radiused the back side of the bolt and jeweled it.  His email is queboltwork@gmail.com.  I had a light striking bolt that would FTF regularly  :wb: and stovepipe.  His work cured it all.

There is another guy, Randy of CPC, who I think is somewhere in New England.  You can get his contact info over at rimfirecentral.
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed