News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructors Needed! Shortages and volunteers report here

Started by ItsanSKS, September 04, 2010, 08:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Folks, we have a few events coming up that could use your help.  If you have shot 210+ or greater, and attended at least two Appleseed events, now is the time to give back to the program that helped you achieve your current level of marksmanship proficiency.  

While the Florida cadre of instructors has been very dedicated to our cause, we are fast approaching a time where there will be more events than our small team can handle.  I urge you to step up and don the Orange Hat.  You will find your time spent with Project Appleseed to be some of the most gratifying possible, and an opportunity to meet many fellow patriotic Americans.

Some of the events coming up, which desperately need your assistance:

Hernando Sept. 18th (one-day event)
Pensacola, October 2,3
Ft. Lauderdale October 2,3
Bunnell, Nov. 6,7th

Please, please, help us staff these events.  The last thing I want to do is tell our fellow Americans "Sorry, there just aren't enough people willing to teach YOU how to shoot".  

The motto of Project Appleseed, and the reason for our tremendous growth, is "Learn Today, Teach Tomorrow".  If you found your time at an Appleseed to be worth while; if you learned just one thing from our volunteer instructors, please consider giving back to this fine organization.  

We cannot succeed in our mission without YOUR help!

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

marrandy

Hernando Sept. 18th (one-day event)   -   Maybe, if you need me.

Pensacola, October 2,3   -  No, other event going on

Ft. Lauderdale October 2,3   -   Ditto as above

Bunnell, Nov. 6,7th  -  Pretty far but could make it if no one else steps up.

Regards...Martin

PHenry

'SKS has offered to run the Hernando one-day in September and I will take the October single day event there. Clinnon has offered to help with promo and instructing in Ft Lauderdale, but likely need another IIT or two for that one.

We also need to PROMOTE these dates, so anyone who can do some BOTG, or Emailing to raise interest for these events, please step forward and be heard!

panhead has agreed to sponsor us at Hernando for September and he's working on clearing his schedule for November as well - way to go sir!

Many thanks for letting us know what you can do marrandy - now who else knows well what they are about?  :sos: :sos:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

PHenry

Just in from SavageShootr! (the tireless individual who keeps the schedule up to date, and by tireless and just in, I mean she's working on Labor day weekend to do it)

More events in need of staffing and these are tough - Pensacola! Time for car pooling.  :sos: :sos:

October 2-3, 2010   NEW
December 4-5, 2010   NEW

Who's in?

Has anybody seen this page for the Project 1000? Look at Florida! http://www.appleseedinfo.org/Project1000/

Thanks to ItsaSKS, we are at 0, meaning he has acquired the needed number of events for Florida to hold up her end of the program. Now, we the instructors needs to step up and man these events pronto and also get them promoted, so we don't look silly standing  around all by ourselves!

No need to sit on our laurels either, just because we have made "0", we can always take up the slack of some of the struggling states by adding more. More events, means more shooters, means more instructors, means more awakend Americans - the reason we are all here.  ..:.. ..:.. ..:..

Now I know some of us are in pretty strung-out shape, but we gotta stay frosty - we can't afford to let one of these events git canceled.

And, I know we have a lot of IITs that have been busy elsewhere, taking care of kith and kin, but now's the time to step up - we're close to the finish line and no time to let up! Please step up and make one of these fine events your own. The last elections here in Pinellas stand as cold, hard, proof that Americans are not worthy of Liberty (keep re-electing same old people). We need to educate them on the finer points of the cost of Liberty. Who better to do that that the people who know the story - who know the cost all too well - volunteers in Appleseeds!  O0

Please don't make me call and beg - I hate groveling and you hate hearing it.  :'(

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Heimdhal

I can help in Ft lauderdale on Oct 3rd, but not on the second as I have to cover some ones shift at work.  If thats ok, I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll just come and shoot.  :--- :--- O0

PHenry

H,
U R in my friend. Many thanks! Please to inform instructor scheduling.
Thanks agin,
PH

marrandy

Update.

Hernando Sept. 18th (one-day event)   -   Yes, if you need me.  I'll sweet talk the misses.  At least its not Two days.

Pensacola, October 2,3   -  No, other event going on

Ft. Lauderdale October 2,3   -   No, other event going on

Pensacola October 2-3, 2010   No, other event going on

Pensacola December 4-5, 2010   -   If no one else stands up, then yes.  Long way though.

Bunnell, Nov. 6,7th  -  Not as far as Pensacola.  But if no one else stands up, then yes.

PHenry

ItsanSKS! Emergency sir! Emergency! Yikes!

Florida has only two active IITs left (3 counting Ms. Clinnon as she is promoting and serving at Pop's October 2/3)!  :sos: :sos: :sos: :sos:

All of them sharp looking orange hats handed out and only three to show for it here. We're gonna have to answer to Fred for this for sure.  &)

Well, we can't let this slow us down - we've got three and we'll git more - full steam ahead! Damn the torpedoes!  :--- :--- :--- :---

I just looked Pop's gun club up - I will have to take Alligator Alley to git there and won't even be going diving! It's just over 4 hours for me and 5 for Clinnon - anybody want a ride? Foolish to take any more vehicles than needed for this trip.

ThaiFighter

I'm trying to see what my work schedule will allow for before committing to either Ft L or Pensacola.  I will be at one or the other.  I'll go ahead and reg for Hernando too.   Will see if my brother can step up for that event.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

I can feel some momentum here!  O0

douglas34474

Clinnon called me this afternoon. I can run down with her to Pops. That should help some.

Douglas

PHenry

Huzaah! That makes we three for that one!

Heck, one more and I can take my usual "administrative posture", working little more than my finger (for pointing out tasks needing completion) to an able crew. The note taking alone is a lot of work you know.  ^-^

Just wait'll ya'll make SB - the pressure and stress of it - seeing that everyone has enough work to keep them occupied and all - it's tough!  :cool2:

Seriously, it's a long drive and I mush appreciate the effort. We'll take some "ordinary" Americans and see if we cain't make 'um even better!

Pop's looks like a great venue - see ya'll soon.

Heimdhal

Quote from: PHenry on September 05, 2010, 04:48:10 PM
Huzaah! That makes we three for that one!

Heck, one more and I can take my usual "administrative posture", working little more than my finger (for pointing out tasks needing completion) to an able crew. The note taking alone is a lot of work you know.  ^-^

Just wait'll ya'll make SB - the pressure and stress of it - seeing that everyone has enough work to keep them occupied and all - it's tough!  :cool2:

Seriously, it's a long drive and I mush appreciate the effort. We'll take some "ordinary" Americans and see if we cain't make 'um even better!

Pop's looks like a great venue - see ya'll soon.

Hmm, if we get enough at pops, perhaps we can rotate some range time in for the instructers to do an AQT or two........hint hint, nudge nudge.  :--- :--- :cool2:

marrandy

Quote from: Heimdhal on September 06, 2010, 09:46:59 AM

Hmm, if we get enough at pops, perhaps we can rotate some range time in for the instructers to do an AQT or two........hint hint, nudge nudge.  :--- :--- :cool2:

Always a good idea, even if its just  10-20  rounds.

PHenry

I'm all for that, but understand that safety is job #1 and marksmanship ed is job #2. That leaves precious little room for us. The cobbler's kids go without shoes you know. :)

I have instructed and run more shoots than I can recall, but I can recall how many times I got shoot myself - three. One was some sighters on a 1" square and 5 rounds for educational purposes only was the second . The third was an AQT and some KD when there were less KD shooters than targets.

In the second and third cases, I was afforded an SBIT that was running the event so well, that I was but a "fifth wheel". Instructor to student ratio is what determines the possibility - that and the experience level of staffing. The ed process is not limited to the attendees - it involves we the instructors as well. Time spent shooting is time lost in learning our craft.

Sacrifice is one of the aspects of instructing and shooting in general is one such sacrifice. It's a fair trade IMHO. We'll see how it goes - ya never know. It is important that we stay sharp, but the most effective way to do that for all concerned is dry-fire.

Some time back, instructors shooting at an event was impossible owing to the ratio - lots of shooters and few instructors. Of late, the lines are so spares that we end up with a high, instructor to student ratio and that is not a good thing. We are failing to get the word out sufficiently to maximize the benefits of our sacrifice.

Might be time to work up another KDC, cuase that's for instructors only and it offers a lot more than a few rounds down range during an event at 25M - a KDC is the real deal and offers indispensable info and skills.

Look forward to seeing you guys soon,
PH

ThaiFighter

you've shot yourself three times?   ++)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

PHenry

What, is that BGH? (big guy humor).  ..:..

You know it's unlikely that anyone would shoot themselves with a rifle!  :cool2:

ThaiFighter

given my sense of humor, it's much more likely that someone will do that for me!  O0

-GBS

PHenry

I kinda doubt that. SBs are too hard to come by, and Lord knows my sense of humor is not always well received.  :-[

marrandy

Quote from: PHenry on September 06, 2010, 12:02:08 PM
I'm all for that, but understand that safety is job #1 and marksmanship ed is job #2. That leaves precious little room for us. The cobbler's kids go without shoes you know. :)

I think we mostly understand the push to get as many people through as possible.  Getting the numbers up at the events would help significantly.  Have you checked the  'occupancy rate'  for Florida Events this year ?

I quickly crunched some numbers.

Average total occupancy 52.57%   -   occupancy (best ave. 93.48% (Starke), Worst ave. 25.75% (Myakka).  Single event best 98.2% St. Augustine  Worst 5.7% Gainesville.

My aim, with the agreement of my wife,  was to shoot/Appleseed a maximum 12 times per year.  aka Once per month.  I also want to shoot 100 yards through 1,000 yards 3-4 times per year.  If that doesn't happen at an Appleseed event, then those 3-4 shoots will subtract leaving only 8-9 Appleseeds.  Unfortunately, that's the way it is.  We all allocate time as we see fit that meets our individual needs

YMMV.

Sly223

I'll do Myakka sept.24-25.
Ft.Luaderdaleoct.2-3 in hopes to help Wiley Travel to Pensicola thats too far for me.Approx. eight hour drive!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

PHenry

marrandy,
I fully understand and greatly appreciate your efforts. Not sure what Pop's has, but not likely long range. We will have a KDC here before too long and of course the IBC will involved full distance.

Sly,
Sounds good to me - does TF know the plan? We need somebody to do that darn Pensacola. He is the NFG isn't he.  >:D Many thanks for you help sir - please to give my best to mama.

Hey, looks like we have seven people still active in Fl program, judging by replies here to 'SKS's post. Let's crunch those numbers. Let's see, Fred sent me 50 orange hats and I have maybe 5 left. Hmmmm..............  !@#)

spmcpeek

I may be able to SB the Pensacola shoot.  I'm still trying to finalize my schedule around that time.

ThaiFighter

pm sent to LadyZipper for Pensacola!  O0

-GBS

douglas34474

How are we looking for the Hernando one day on the 12th? I can make that one if needed.

Douglas

douglas34474

Quote from: PHenry on September 07, 2010, 05:48:12 PM
marrandy,
I fully understand and greatly appreciate your efforts. Not sure what Pop's has, but not likely long range. We will have a KDC here before too long and of course the IBC will involved full distance.

Pop's only has 100 yards available.

petiteshooter

Bunnell, Nov. 6,7th

I was looking at the above dates and somehow they don't show up in the Florida upcoming events. Bunnell is only 50 miles from my house, that would be perfect.

Thanks everyone

Danièle

Pledged on April 19, 2010

marrandy

She means here   -   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8132.0

Well  spotted Daniele

Quote from: petiteshooter on September 08, 2010, 11:54:03 PM
Bunnell, Nov. 6,7th

I was looking at the above dates and somehow they don't show up in the Florida upcoming events. Bunnell is only 50 miles from my house, that would be perfect.

Thanks everyone

Danièle

Pledged on April 19, 2010

ThaiFighter

Bon pour vous voir Danielle!

Pardonnez le mon francais! :)

bon tir! Je pense...  

Bienvenue! laissez le bon temps roulez!  <<====this is the only thing I have any confidence in as I heard it so many times in New Orleans!  ++)

-GBS

PHenry

Douglas,
I know 'SKS is SB - who's helping him out? I wish that I could pop up - even just to shoot some, but have RO duty at my range.