News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IL resident buying a gun in MO?

Started by bulletsnbows, September 02, 2010, 10:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulletsnbows

I was thinking about heading down to the Cabela's in Hazelwood, MO and picking up a new 10/22.    Never tried buying a gun out of state.  Will the Mo store sell a gun to an IL resident?  (I have a FOID)

Do they apply the 24 hour wait for a long gun?  (I really don't want to drive down there two days in a row but I have $300 G.C. to Cabela's and this would be a good use of it)

Thanks,
Christine

Shooter30-06

You can buy the rifle but shipping and transfer will have to be through an Illinois FFL.  The Illinois FFL will have to do the background check and comply with the required waiting period.  The Illinois FFL will charge you for this service.  Taken as a whole, the process is not worth it unless you are getting a very good deal from the Missouri dealer.  I hope this helps.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Missouri Brigade

I bought a rifle at a Missouri Wal-Mart.  Being an Illinois resident, I had to swing by the next day after 24 hours had passed.  Handguns likely require a transfer, but long guns do not.

Check around on the price.  As a general rule, stay away from Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and Gander Mountain.

EEL

MB is correct.  You can buy a long gun in any state that "touches" your home state.  (IN, WI, KY, MO, IA)Handguns need to be transferred to an FFL in your state.  Waiting period would apply for your home state (24 hrs here).
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

bulletsnbows

Thanks everyone!

I guess I can find $300 worth of other stuff to buy at Cabela's.   :)

I'll look for a 10/22 closer to home.