News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL Aug 28-29

Started by ThaiFighter, August 30, 2010, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaiFighter

T'was a beautiful weekend at the Manatee County Gun and Archery club in lovely Myakka City, FL.  This was the first Appleseed in memory where it was hot, but not oppressively hot.  We found ourselves Saturday Morning with eleven eager shooters chomping at the bit to get out of the gate and practice their heritage!  After a brief intro, the safety rules and line commands were given.  Rick B gave a moving first strike and as I surveyed the crowd, they were rapt with attention.

We then sent the shooters to their vehicles to bring their rifles to the line in a safe condition.   We had no less than four young patriots, Matt, Joseph, Fred and Chris, on the line who impressed all of us instructors with their attention to safety and their teachable attitudes.  They remind us why we serve.  I couldn't imagine leaving them a country lesser than what I enjoyed when I was their age.   

Rounding out the lineup Was Debra, who is a wonder of "seventh stepping" and brought most of the attendees with her.  We had Jeff and his friend Jim, affable fellows who both endured the heat and hard work with enthusiasm.  Dr. Fred, who was there enjoying some father/sons time with Chris and Fred.  Kirk and Betty Ann brought humor and a very nice looking Sig 522 to round out the field.

They all spent the better part of the morning drinking from the fire hose of marksmanship wisdom.  We had all the usual issues, dancing fingers, comfortable positions, wood draggers, and ppl trying to shoot the target while forgetting to shoot the rifle.  I was blessed with a crew of patient and capable instructors who worked these issues with the shooters while keeping a sharp eye out for safety issues. They could make even the greenest Shoot Boss look stellar.   That afternoon, we shot two AQT's with some good scores, but no riflemen revealed. OUr Redcoats did show a marked improvement over the morning, with one shooter, Kirk, completely cleaning it.  GREAT JOB KIRK!!!!

Sunday we had six attendees, all of whom were moving a bit more slowly than the previous day.  It always makes me smile a bit to see people's expressions change when I tell them that "Yesterday was a bit relaxed. Today, we'll be picking up the pace.".  In spite of their apprehensions we launched right into the morning program with all due haste.

I can say that as an instructor, I thoroughly enjoyed working with this group of shooters.  Jeff is a southpaw and did a great job of contending with a rifle built for righties.  Watching him take each issue he ran into in stride and come up with ways to resolve them reminded me that a rifleman's greatest tool is the one between his ears.  Matt was our only returning young patriot, and he displayed a maturity beyond his years.  We intentionally singled him out, asking him questions about the instruction from the prior day and he was a veritable machine at recalling the points of instruction.  I watched at one point as a piece of hot brass flew down his elbow pad and instantly went into mitigation mode.  T'was all for naught.  Matt set down his rifle with the muzzle in a safe direction and THEN dealt with the pain.  Excellent work!

By the time we hit the KD portion of the event, I was pleased to no end that ALL of the shooters were shooting 8 MOA or less at 100 yards, most in the 4-5's with one shooting in the 2's.  Great work everyone! 

By the end of the day, we completed 6 AQT's, a KD instruction and courses of fire, and awarded one Madam Yotnottin's Rangers Patch to Debra who shot multiple expert scores to prove that she is indeed worthy.

After a short benediction, we left the range cleaner than we found it and put another event in the books. This one will stand out in my mind for the quality of the attendees and the great volunteers that kept me on track all weekend long.  Thanks to all y'all!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

RickB

I second ThaiFighter's assesment; what a great group of shooters!
I was especially impressed when Matt proved he could shoot 4 MOA on the 100 yard squares--with a rifle that is too big for him!
More than half our shooters were invited by Debra, who is quite the organizer.  After she shot multiple rifleman's scores she stepped up and accepted an orange (instructor in training) hat.  I spent a little time talking with her and her commitment to seeing that the next generation grows up in liberty is most impressive.
It was an honor to spend the weekend with all of you.
-RickB

flnativegal

"T'was the day before Appleseed when all thru the house, every creature was stirring, everyone in the house.....
we must not miss rifles, not ammo or  plugs.... not eye wear, not arm pads, not mats, not us....
we're a youth group with pride who stand for a cause, we're QF's agents of a conservative places....
we love wildlife and land, people and rights... we're the future who holds our freedom in sight.

To display a poor image or wilt on the vine, is never allowed within our young minds....
We enjoyed meeting people who gave us so much... for this we must thank, the Appleseed Bunch!

We arrived at the line with instruction made plain... we never doubted how determined instructors remained.... thru two rugged days though all of us couldn't stay... our leader was frontline every step of the way.
You took your good time to make a difference, for this our new friends... we will continue with vengeance.
To keep safety first, while shooting proficient... we'll represent your traits with our continued deliverance.

Thank you, from the South Florida Flatwoods Chapter of Quail Forever's Youth Program!

img][/img

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

flnativegal

For everyone who worked so diligently to provide training to myself, my youth group,  and my colleagues.... I appreciate you, your time and everything you brought to us as a group.
As the Youth Programs Director (Co Chairman) w/ The South Florida Flatwoods Chapter of Quail Forever, I am pleased to say the youth who attended this weekend gained a tremendous amount of shooting skills plus an awareness of their acestry much needed in today's society.

It was a delight to see young Matt improve from what appeared to be a "scatter gun" pattern to a consistant grouping equaled by few. He is twelve years old, a youth leader within our group, and an avid outdoorsman already at his young age. His parents and those who support him, such as our QF Chapter, appreciate programs for young people that will broaden their understanding and abilities both of shooting and of our great country.

Matt was quick to challenge us to more shooting upon returning to my farm late Sunday afternoon. His father, myself, Larry and Matt all took turns firing at  Red Coat targets where Matt made his "Head Shot" ...which was his top priority.
The patients, time, and effort exhausted by each instructor was not without appreciation and I only regret you couldn't have listened to our conversations riding home.

Dr. Fred is my colleague in QF as active Co Chairman in our Youth Programs development. His two fine sons are avid hunters, sportsmen, and enjoy time spent as a family together with their father.

We encourage "family" participation though it's not required.  Due to the fact, many families do not have extra time to spend outdoors... those of use who mentor youth, work together with families to afford kids the chance to participate in a variety of outdoor programs. Appleseed is terrific and I encourage everyone to experience the opportunity Appleseed offers, and I look forward myself personally to achieving the level required to teach AS courses locally to my youth on a regular basis.

flnativegal

Joseph is excited to be a part of the Appleseed program Saturday..... he regretted not returning Sunday but school projects took first priority. Chris and Frederick also had to complete projects leaving them absent from Sunday's event. However, we're certain to return and pick up where everyone left off.
Matt and his father Scott.... have agreed to return with me next month as Matt is determined to qualify as is "Dad". I've promised to be "ready willing and able"  as part of the AS team....  I will be.

I'll just bet "we old geezers" are moving slower than those young whipper snappers today!

In the mean while... I'm trying to fill in data and contact info on myself via an on-line email link ItsanAKS sent, but I'm having difficulty.... perhaps it'll allow me.. perhaps not... either way.... I'll either call someone directly or figure out the technical issues with this on-line opposition.

I have many great photos from the weekend but need to know how to send them without such a long wait to do so. Suggestions welcomed!

RickB

flnativegal,
I generally cut the resolution on my photos down to 640x480 (I use MS Paint since I'm not a pro photographer).  Then I can upload a whole bunch of them at once.
That's enough resolution for display on a computer screen and you can always email a full res version to anyone who wants a copy.
RickB

SRQ JIM

Great Program. I'll be back.

Congrats Debra.

Sly223

I want to thank all of our Staff and the patrons were great. I left with a feeling that all was not lost home on the couch. Looking forward to later this month, Hopefully see ya'll in Myakka!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

JeffW

Well, how does one begin......by going to one of these shoots !

Actually, the best part of the shoot was the story of April 19, 1775.  From a history buffs standpoint, not much could be better.  All the instructors who told the story were good but RickB has a great handle on it and is an outstanding orator.  I have a number of more "aged" friends that would love to hear this.  What are the opportunities for people a "more seasoned" experiences to come to shoot just to hear the story and not shoot ?  Most would have an awfully hard time going from standing to sitting to prone in the time alotted.

Anyway, I do have a confession to make and an apology to be issued.  I almost didn't come back the 2nd day.  With the number of problems I was having with my rifle, not having a good sling, and with each AQT target being a worse depiction of my abilities (My initial red coat target was the best target I shot all weekend) I was highly discouraged.  I did not expect to earn a rifleman patch my first time out but had certainly expected a better showing of myself since I did print out & practice with the AQT targets a week before coming just so I wouldn't look like a buffoon.  Needless to say, I was extremely agitated by the end of the first day.  It's tough when you know and have proven you're a better shot than what you are displaying that day and really have no way to explain the reason for it

I would like to thank all the instructors and other shooters, especially Debra, for their encouragement and utmost professionalism in trying to assist me with all the issues I was having throughout the weekend.  I would also like to apologize if my "less than enthusiastic" disposition affected anyone else this weekend. 

Anyway, with having just ordered a good sling and a bunch of dry fire exercises, I hope to attend another shoot in the upcoming months and give myself a better showing on the range.

A HUGE thank you to all the volunteers at this shoot.  You are certainly a credit to yourselves and this organization

ThaiFighter

Some of what we expect you to learn is not explicitly taught, but learned from the courses of fire themselves...

One of these is that a rifleman converts frustration into determination, anger into action...

This is something we take away from the line that carries over into every area of our lives...

We look forward to seeing you again.  O0

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

RickB

JeffW,
I'm glad you learned a thing or two!  It was a pleasure to serve you.
More "seasoned" shooters are certainly welcome!  Anyone who has a problem with transitions is allowed to stay in position when everyone else stands--the "most seasoned" shooter I've ever had at one of my events was 88 years old and a veteran of D-Day.  He stuck it out both days in the Florida summer heat.
If a person's physical limitations are such that they cannot participate they are cetainly welcome to observe.  Here's a suggestion--bring a grandkid or two and watch them learn!
RickB