News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

what should a new IIT bring to an event?

Started by bill o rites, August 26, 2010, 09:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill o rites

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

crak

Bring everything you can think of, so you can bail out the SB who stopped bringing a car full of stuff years ago.   We count on new IITs! **)

Or, just bring a stopwatch so you can call the line correctly.  If you can't remember the line commands verbatim yet, bring those, too.

If you're feeling really ambitious a sight tool and a cleaning rod can really brighten a shooter's day, but there are usually some of those around anyway.
Check your drama at the door.

Grandson of Liberty

If you could only take ONE thing with you . . .

. . . best be sure it's your IIT 1 Progress Check.  &) :)
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

lupis42

A teachable attitude... the more hats you have, the harder this can be to remember, but it's always handy.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

ksuguy

I usually bring extra slings, my Ruger 10/22, ammo, sunscreen, stapler, insect repellant, sun shade, lawn chair, shooting glasses, disposable earplugs, shooting mats, binoculars, water and gatorade, lunch,  and one of my M1 Garands.

I always like to let anybody that shoots their first rifleman score fire a clip through the Garand as a prize.   The students usually really enjoy that.   

Xeyed

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Old Dog

I will take the blame for all the stuff I've loaned out and "lost".  I finally realized the only way to stop "loosing" loaned items was to stop loaning them (I can live with the lost staplers, slings, sight tools, etc. but "losing" a rifle would have really set me off, so I had to stop before it got to that point ::)).

My range bag contains:
some chewing gum (you have to stick you face in their ear sometimes to be heard, no use distracting them by letting them smell what you ate for lunch)
some hard candy (when you're talking your mouth is going to get dry and your throat can get irritated - the candy helps)
a few sets of foam ear plugs (sooner or later someone will lose theirs or show up without them)
a couple of pins
something to card sights with (I do this during prep. periods for the folks I'm watching over on the line, it's helped a lot of folks better understand NPOA)
a multi-tool (for tightening up loose screws)
an AK/SKS front sight tool
a couple of AR front/rear sight tools (the 4 post and 5 post tools as you will encounter both on ARs and while you don't see many A1 type rear sight/carry handle on AR's these days they work great on Tech Sights)
a 6" ruler
staple gun and staples (for absolute emergencies)
a pair of binoculars (for the .22 caliber holes, I can still see the .30 caliber holes at 25 meters, if someone brings/shoots a .30 caliber @))
a rain poncho
some sunblock
some bug dope/spray
a pair of safety glasses
my hearing protection with back up (I can't stand the muffs, I've always used foam plugs of one type or another)
a bottle of lube (I use Mobil 1 these days, on the 10/22, the AR's and handguns - I never carried grease for the M1A/M1 folks but never needed it either)

It would be a good idea to print out the latest copies of the range commands and get them laminated before gluing them to the back of your clipboard.  Then you could carry a copy of the shoot bosses POI on the front of the clipboard with a page or two of blank paper included in case you want to take note of something.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle