News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What is the position of AS on inviting campaigning canidates to a shoot

Started by Heimdhal, August 26, 2010, 03:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heimdhal

I know we take a very non-partisan stand here at AS, but there are a few canidates I know running for local, state and federal offices I'd like to inivte to some shoots who I am sure whould love to attend, to shoot with us and perhaps shoot.  I just wanted to get the OK on it.

Also I was wondering if we might perhaps invite some of the big boy campaigners to a shoot before november, perhaps names like Rubio and Meeks (the repub and dem canidates for senate, resp.)

Anywho, just throwing it out there to get peoples thoughts on the idea.

SamD

Last go round Fred authorized elected officials, and candidates for public office to attend free.
That isn't to campaign it is to participate.
You cannot cherry pick candidates, you need to invite all candidates for the office, not just the ones you want, and they need to all receive the invitation the same way.

We have been fairly sucessful here in NM and have 2 that are "regulars". One an excommunicated Republican is what I call a "born again Appleseeder", the other is firm Liberal who keeps coming back for more, missed the Mayhill shoot  >:( because she was taking her CCW class ;D

Sam

MeanStreaker

Absolutely invite anyone and everyone!    O0

Elected Officials attend for free. 

Also, it's a bit of a dangerous undertaking and you'll definitely want to feel out the candidate ahead of time to make sure they are level-headed... but it's been known to happen where candidates speak for a few minutes to the group so long as it's done in a way where it's clear Appleseed is not endorsing anyone, they are told up front not to talk negatively about their opponent, not to talk negatively about their opponent's party, not to talk about specific modern issues, etc.

But if they have a stump speech that talks about getting active, and why they were motivated to get active, that's right up Appleseed's alley.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

marrandy

As long as they understand that its not a political event.  They are just an attendee, hopefully to shoot and not just spectate and preach.

The main problem for them will be time, as they tend to be busy and have large social circles, stroking their benefactors.

The Appleseed has been compared, so I have heard, to a firehose of knowledge/training.  The only time for anyone to speak is at lunchtime or after the event.  I certainly don't come to Appleseed's to be preached to by politicians.  I know who I am and what I stand for.

Be very careful about inviting them and be blunt, in writing, in explaining the rules.  They are of the  'give an inch, take a mile'  type of people.

There is a reason politician is derived from

Poli = many

Tics = blood sucking creatures

YMMV.

PHenry

We had a Rep come out to an event in Bradford and brung his grandson, who participated. They all need to participate, as it is good for their souls - same as any other American.

Also, would tend to be good for program as it would reflect well on us if we have some "stand-up" elected employees who, when asked, will confirm that we are non-political, safe and trustworthy Americans.  @)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Heimdhal

Sounds good, Ill get the invites sent out. 

Its not so much that Im cherry picking (certainly not intending to), its jsut that I know some of them on a personal level and would like them to attend, they also happen to be running for office.  One of them is a local canidate (in palm beach) Mike Lamayer who I think would really enjoy the program.  I know him through the Second Amendment Coalition of South Florida (SACFLA).

But I was also thinking our two new senate canidates might be worth extending an invitation to as well. I doubt they'd be able to make it since they are going to be in full campaign drive for novemember.  Might be worth a try though

4bfox

We had our State Representative show up at a shoot last month for a few minutes....he's a good conservative...is interested in the AS program. Hopefully he'll bring some of his kids (he has 9, is adopting more) to our next shoot.

Ben
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10