News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Appleseeder - Questions

Started by steadyrock, August 24, 2010, 08:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadyrock

Hello,

New Appleseeder here from OC.  Looking forward to taking my son to our first Appleseed event in Corona in October or December!  Pardon me if these questions have been asked before, I have looked around but haven't found them.

My son is in fifth grade, studying American History.  We are in our first year homeschooling him - I think the Appleseed program would be a perfect fit and I'd like him to earn some school credit as a field trip if possible.  Can anyone offer any guidance on how much of the weekend is spent on American Revolutionary history, versus marksmanship?  Definitely interested in both, but in order for it to qualify as an "educational experience" for school I would have to know how much time (percentage or hours) is spent on that topic.  Also, how is that material presented?  Lectures?  At lunch time?  Interspersed during shooting sessions?

Any homeschoolers or others with experience, please reply or feel free to PM me.  Thanks!

V

There are what we call Three Strikes of the Match, the events of April 19th 1775 told during lunch on Sat. About 1 hour though we are known to run long.

During Sunday lunch we tell stories of Dangerous Old Men and Determined Dames, again about an hour, stories of particular men, women and children who played a part in that day.

During various shorter heat/water breaks short stories or references may be told during the whole weekend with the aim of tying the events of then to our situation today.

The aim is not to provide an exhaustive, factual history but more to motivate and inspire people to want to find out more for themselves, to spark the interest in the founding history.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
V

steadyrock

Thanks V, that does help put some context around what to expect.