News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa - SEP 11/12 2010

Started by Gear Head Patriot, August 20, 2010, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gear Head Patriot

I'm looking forward to the upcoming SEP 11/12 Toccoa shoot.  This'll be my Son and I's second Appleseed.  If the shoot boss is out there, I'd like to hear the plan for the weekend, and if they have any tips specific to the Toccoa range. 

snaphook75

Hi Caesar!

I'm far from the shoot boss, but have attended many Toccoa Appleseeds, and help out with a few tasks. Here's my take.

Be sure to bring good ground cover. You recall we shoot in rain or shine, and if the attendance is large, we have to utililize a few pistol pits, or the 300 yd range for overflow. Though some gravel has made it much better, there's still a lot of good old GA red clay around, and a cheap tarp or piece of polyethylene under your mat can make all the difference in rainy weather.

As stated above, there is a 300 yd range, and if it is not needed for overflow, and we have enough instructors, folks who have earned their patch on the short range and have a centerfire rifle often get the chance to take it to full distance on Sunday afternoons. So, if you have a centerfire rifle, be sure to bring it...even if you plan to train with your LTR most of the weekend.

As a courtesy to local churches, we don't start shooting until noon Sunday; however, we use this time to your advantage by offering several very informative (some thought-provoking) lecutures Sunday morning. I've taken a survey in the past, and so far everyone who has responded has said that these lectures were more valuable to their Appleseed experience than additional time on the firing line would have been. So....don't sleep late!!

As far as lodging goes, the camping area is rather small, but next to the clubhouse, so you always have access to a bathroom and potable water. I have often rented a cottage at Tugaloo State Park - about 10-12 miles from the range. They're really nice, and have two bedrooms, two beds each for around $130 per night. Several nice, affordable hotels are located at I-85 and Hwy 17, and a few more are in Toccoa, about 5-10 miles to the North of the range.

Hope to see you there!

Caesar

Great!  Thanks for the feedback, hadn't really thought about ground cover beyond our blankets.  I'll definitely add a couple toss in a couple tarps.

sanderman79

I agree with Snaphook. I would recommend camping if possible. The evenings talks around the fire with like minded folks is one of the reasons that I got involved in the program. I would make sure to bring your lunch so you do not miss anything. Also know how your rifles have been broken in, you have a sling, and bring plenty of magazines. The plan is similar to wherever you go with minor changes.

Doug Carlton

I will be there with my son and as many of his friends and Fathers as will commit. This will be my 2nd shoot at Toccoa.

If we get the same group of instructors as last time you are in for a treat. They like to shoot alot!

Definately bring ground cover and I cannot stress enough, BRING ELBOW PADS! The cheap basketball cotton ones are fine. Not only do they protect from abrasion, but they also mitigate the searing heat stored in the ground cover that blisters and tears at your elbow flesh.

I would also recommend sunscreen and bug juice if it is muggy/rainy. Lots of bottled water for hydration, lots of water. Bring thumbtacks for your targets, speeds things up, and a black pen. You'll thank me....

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Is enforcing the latest bit of bureaucratic insolence really worth anyone's life?

Wabash

Hi all
I will be there at Toccoa as well as my son Mead.  We both looking forward to the shoot and seeing everybody again.  Wade called and said he would be there are well.  Hoping for cooler weather this time. 
See you in a couple of weeks
Kayla

Doug Carlton

Is enforcing the latest bit of bureaucratic insolence really worth anyone's life?

jollynator

QuoteThe evenings talks around the fire with like minded folks is one of the reasons that I got involved in the program.

Yeah, but you forgot to warn us all about the time honored Appleseed tradition of functioning on less than 4 hrs of sleep for the weekend...

....its what I live for....that and freezing my tail off....

Jollynator, Mr. Glutton for Punishment.

sanderman79

So that means your gonna make the trip right Jon. We could always use the help and we gotta bring you back into the GA fold. You have been heading south way to much.

jollynator

nah,  im in st augustine that weekend working with itsy.  i'll make it up there one day.  just keep the campfire hot for me.

Flathead

I will not be able to make it on Saturday, but will try to make it on Sunday. I won't be at the range to open it up until later Friday afternoon. If any one is arriving early let me know and I will try to make arrangements to get the range opened up for set up.

cswhitfield

Hello All,
I am also looking forward to my second Appleseed.  My original plans were to come up early Sat. morning and set up camp before registration (just a dinning canopy and truck).  I can come Friday afternoon and help with setup if that would be of any help. 

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Flathead

Any help will be appreciated. It will be a way for you to interact with the instructors as well. It is usually time for the instructors to get some trigger time and to get reacquainted with each other.

cswhitfield

I'll be glad to show up Friday and offer whatever help setting up.  What time do you suggest arriving?
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

sanderman79

I plan on getting there in the afternoon, like 2 or 3 ish.

Raymon