News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How to pitch the Appleseed to college students...

Started by SPQR, August 17, 2010, 01:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

Techres has been working on a plan to get the AS message out to students at Indiana University.  I am encouraged by this and attempting to help in any way I can.  I would like to pose some general questions for response if any of you have the time.

Do you know of any particular student associations, at IU or any other Indiana school, that should be approached that may share similar ideals i.e. activation, heritage, marksmanship?

What portions of the program should be highlighted to encourage this groups participation?

What should we be aware of or cautious of when approaching student groups? 

Do any schools in particular have shooting teams/clubs?

Are any forum members currently or recently enrolled at any Indiana school that may serve as point men/women to get the message out?  What can be done to help you do that?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

There is an interested core of students over at Rose Hulman that we have been trying to get together for a Riley or Cloverdale shoot.  Slim has a close contact there and we need to take any promotions that way as well.  YHJ might want to get on the team for that one too.

If we get this right, figure out a good formula, then the sky is the limit!  8)
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

CortJestir

Here in CT, we have partnered with UCONN's rifle club and SCSU rifle and archery club to promote Appleseeds on their campuses (campi?) through their organizations. They flyer on campus as well as include our upcoming events in their e-newsletters.

It's a great way to get younger folks to the line.

Start with a school's website to see if you can view their club/organizations. Most schools have this information online as well as contact information. A few friendly emails or phone calls later (and maybe a free invitation to shoot at an Appleseed) with the club president and/or faculty adviser, and you've got someone promoting AS for you. Easy peezy.  ;)

And of course, highlight that under 21 attend for free.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

DaveD

At a local Tea party meeting I met the President of the Republican Club on Depauw University and gave him the works including fliers and tri-folds.  Stated as soon as students returned would get the info to several students he had in mind + his girlfriend.

I will be seeing him again!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

ksuguy

You might try the ROTC.  We have had a lot of success with the group at Pittsburg State.

nyrasgt

Additional suggestion would be to reach out to ALL colleges with NCAA Rifle teams, e.g. N.C. State, Ol' Miss,
U Alaska, the service academies, etc.  Same for NRA Junior teams and scholastic (HS) teams.
   Will be doing mailing in near future to the 35 or so  HS teams in NYS; every member of every team is eligible to attend AS free...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

GoldFish

Quote from: SPQR on August 17, 2010, 01:06:48 PM
Do any schools in particular have shooting teams/clubs?

I'm planning on trying to go and talk to the Ohio University 2nd Amendment Club at one of their meetings.  I'm not sure if other universities have these particular kinds of clubs, but I would think that they do.

---GF  
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

AuntieBellum

Contact history departments, political science departments - it's easy to mail a brochure to the department for posting on a bulletin board, etc - maybe even invite the professors specifically with a letter.  Also, there are bulletin boards all over college campuses - plaster those brochures everywhere!  Send brochures to the presidents of student activity associations and student governments.  Send brochures to college presidents inviting them.  Maybe too late for this semester, but if you have a truly local Appleseed range (as in, same town or close), see if you can include a brochure in the freshmen welcome packets as a things to do type promotion.

There are over 300,000 college students in Indiana alone and 22% of those are enrolled in private institutions.  No campus is too small!

Edit: I can help come up with ideas, but I don't want to push it too far by promoting Appleseed too much while I'm at work.  I'd prefer to keep my job, thanks.  :)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

The Old Guide

I spoke with one of my clients this afternoon. She recently got her Doctorate in curriculum development. I gave her the five minute story of the strikes of the match. She was amazed at the detail and said many profs don't know this material. That's the angle that could apply to students. Feed the prof some detail he doesn't know, courtesy of Appleseed and David Hackett Fischer.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

crak

Check your drama at the door.

techres

Flyer draft is up in the Indiana Promo section.  SPQR, please review.  Thanks!

I want to have flyers and promo materials ready to roll when the bulk of the students return. 
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

M1FREDQ

Here in Valparaiso Indiana we have a our bi-annual gunshow coming up
Are there plans to have an Appleseed table on Saturday or Sunday ??

POC

There is the "new" local range. Childers is very near to Bloomington. Talk to Shanon.
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

SPQR

Roger that !  Unfortunately our shoots are sold out there until next year.  I am pushing the Cloverdale and Riley shoots pretty hard.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

POC

Once I get things up and running here (if/when) it'll be an hour drive from B-ton.
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.