News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Aug 14-15 Columbiana, AL AAR

Started by Bamanurse, August 16, 2010, 08:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamanurse

My son couldn't wait for someone to start the topic so I did. I worked my first Appleseed this weekend as an IIT. I really had a wonderful time even though we were only able to be there Saturday. Despite the floods it went well. It was great seeing a van load of young men come to train.

For me, the BEST part of the day was the first AQT of the afternoon when my son GNAT SHOT 214 and earned his patch. Thank you to all the men and women who made this possible. He was disappointed that Brandon, Dane, Darryl, Tracey, heather, meanmachine and CD weren't there since he likes them all so much and had hoped they would be there to celebrate. He's determined to shoot it again for that orange hat.

Did Eric make it Sunday?

Friedenmeister , Mrs Burke said to tell you she hasn't aged a bit and my son now has some interesting stories about you.
"We dare defend our rights"
Molon Labe
I might not be the brightest or sharpest crayon in the box but I think outside the box anyway.
All bleeding stops eventually and breathing is over rated.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

Bama

Eric did make it on Sunday. And he is now a RIFLEMAN!!!  ^:)^

CONGRATS GALEN & ERIC!!!!

Both you guys need orange hats, now.

I was just checking to see if an AAR was posted, and have to run back out the door, but...

14 shooters on Saturday
3 on Sunday

Rained most of Saturday. The sugar ants invaded any high ground to be found. I still have ants running around in my kitchen sink bag.

Sunday was dry. Pretty warm but there was a nice cool wind.

It was wierd on Saturday. No Lawleys. No Brandon. No Oldfudd. If the Georgia Boys hadn't come I would have thought the Lincoln Park top-window man was snatch'n em up in here! The situation was confusing enough that it would make you put your pants on backwards.  :cool2:

Seriously, everyone improved, built bonds and learned about their common American Heritage. Another successful Appleseed!

Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

Gnat

Hello I'm gnat as u can c I'm bamanurses son :o  ++) Yes it was a great time except for all the rain and all that it finally stopped raining after lunch  ^:)^ when we shot the most.  I did shoot 214 on the first aqt of the day ^:)^ I figured it out that I had shot rifleman when they told me I shot 209 but they wouldn't show me the target >:( I only trusted Bama to score my target  :)) I hope Eric shot rifleman because he was trying so hard but on Saturday he shot 208 soo close I hope u made it let me know if u did.  I wanted to go Sunday but we coludnt but there was only around 2 shooters but also the iit and red hats  I really had fun I may be at the shoot in guntersville but if I'm not I'll for sure be at the one in moundville and hopefully shoot rifleman one more time so I can get my orange hat I'm only 12 so I'm looking forward to seeing y'all all there  ;D ^:)^ :--- :--- :--- as Robert e. Earny says "shoot straight and keep your powder dry :)"  
"Shoot straight and keep your power dry."
                                -Robert Lee Ermy

Gnat

heyy friedenmeister I talked to mrs Burke and I have a few stories to tell you if u want to u can call me at ***-***-**** it's Galen lee and can tell u all the things soo yepp c ya later Robert Lee Ermy " shoot straight and keep ur powder dry"

Post edited by request - CJ
                                -Robert Lee Ermy

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations Gnat O0 + welcome aboard 8)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Bama

All the shooters braved the weather and I heard no complaints from anyone on the line about circumstances beyond their control. The only compliants I heard were centered around the normal struggles one faces to get their body to do that which their mind desires. Typical Appleseed trail stuff.

I was asked what was the highlight of my weekend. I have to say Gnat running up to me with his AQT in his hand smiling from ear to ear with excitement bubbling out from every pore had to be that pinnacle moment. As unpaid volunteers we sure are rich.  ^-^

Eric & Gnat both exhibited patience, positive attitudes and dedication becoming Riflemen.  @)

Another volunteer who was present on his own dime and time is a personal friend of mine that we call Yoda. Yoda has not yet shot at an Appleseed, but after hearing me discuss the various aspects of my continued efforts in promotion, instructor development, etc, he has willingly stepped forward to help with items that he can. This weekend he videoed the instructors giving their history, narrations and blocks of instruction so that we may use this footage internally to make our presentations better. I watched a little bit of Saturday's footage when I got home and it gives you great perspective to see yourself from 3rd person. Thank you to Yoda for donating your time to this QC effort. Next time we might let you shoot!  ::)

We had extended Appleseed family members at both nights instructor suppers. It was a delight to see LP again and finally meet the lovely lady that can keep Friedenmeister in line. Proof that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.   **). Seriously, I hope to see you ladies often, and thank you for your personal efforts in the continuation of Liberty. I tip my gray kepi to you both.

Sunday, DepDoc was there with his usual insightfullness. Alan joined us and offered his help in one area of expertise concerning business models to base organizational goals on. Yet another shooter willing to 7th step before the patch. I love to see Americans who recognize needs and want to jump in and help fill them. That's the type attitude and behavior that needs to spread through the countryside. Thank you sir!

Family is the heart of America's strength. It gave me pleasure to see a vanload of young men show up to shoot. All of these gentlemen listened to instruction, got better and no doubt will continue in their efforts to become the next generation of Riflemen. Kudos to the man who brought them. A Bama "rebel yell" to you sir!  O0

Thanks to the Shelby County Sheriff's Department & Sheriff Chris Curry for the use of their fine facility. Participants are encouraged to drop the Sheriff a line via mail or email and let him know about your experiences at Appleseed. We should be in the habit of praising proper mindsets and actions by our elected and appointed representatives when they do the right thing, and not just yell at them when they do the wrong thing. Positive reenforcement....

I'm back out to the chain-gang. God bless Appleseed!

In Liberty,
Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

CrankE

All those ants must have gone down to the center tent.  I only brought a couple in with me from Saturday.  Hard to believe only 3 shooters for Sunday-especially since the weather was so great.  Normally it's freezing, blazing hot, raining, snowing, locusts, plagues, etc. for our shoots.  

I too missed Brandon, the Lawley tribe and Old Fudd.  'Specially since Fudd was giving us grief at the last Columbiana shoot about how we hadn't qualified any Alabama men at the SCSD range.  I shot a 216 on Sunday.  Maybe he'll check in and see the good news.  

Anybody got pics/video?  Yoda had the camera rolling for most of the weekend and I think Friedenmeister downloaded it before he left.  

Honestly, scoring rifleman on Sunday made my summer.  Having learned and applied all of the lessons, I'm no longer looking to merely "score well" when I squeeze the trigger, I'm looking to bullseye on every shot.  
"Civility is the new censorship."
- Kathy in Potomac, MD

Brandon1

I wish I could have made it but work and all  !@#) Blasted bill collectors would be calling if I had went to the shoot !@#).

Seriously congrats Galen & Eric! I wish I could have had the pleasure of seeing yall take the coveted Rifleman Patch!
Roaming the world on a klr.

Gnat

-Robert Lee Ermy

CrankE

I was talking with Baggett over the weekend about the 10-22 mod for the auto bolt release and promised to send him a link to the resource I used to modify my Ruger 10-22.  Since we picked up ants, I may have thrown out his e-mail address. Does anyone have it?  If so, maybe direct him to this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsclYouRX3M&feature=related

I used this to generally guide me through the process of modifying the bolt catch-which is a worthy mod for anyone who has a Ruger 10-22.  All you need is a dremel-type tool and a bit to cut/grind metal.  A vise is also great. 

Enjoy,   
"Civility is the new censorship."
- Kathy in Potomac, MD