News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR- Big Reno Gun Show- Reno, NV- 8/13-15/2010

Started by gglovesguns, August 16, 2010, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gglovesguns

Warning: this gets long! But I wanted it to be so newbies like myself interested in taking on next year's gun show won't be as nervous as I was because they'll know what to expect.

Pre-show
I emailed the contact us email shown on the Big Reno Show website and I filled out a request for table form also found on the Big Reno Show website. Lou called me back a long time later requesting additional information about what Appleseed does. I called him back and left him a voicemail with a short blurb about the program. Then he called me back and left me a voicemail saying yes, we're in. I called him back, again, and confirmed everything. He told me who to ask for when I came to the show and that the table would be available for me to set up at 8:00 on Friday morning. Throughout the process, NorCal22Gal, Balddragon, Eaglescouter, Jules, Bob210, V, Fred and many others encouraged me, supported me and gave me pointers on how to make this happen. Thanks everybody!

Friday
I woke up entirely too early and went down to the show. I found the table we were supposed to be next to, but there was no table next to it. I walked up and down the hallway outside of the show just to make sure that our table wasn't somewhere else, but no dice. I asked the man staffing the Republican table how to check in, since he had done it successfully, and he directed me to the show office. Once there, a nice lady paged Willard to bring a table and chairs out for us. It took 30-40 minutes to get the table, but when it arrived, it was pretty. They brought out an 8 foot table and garnished it with a red table cloth and a black ruffle table skirt. By then, people were lining up for the show. I hurriedly placed the meager table-dressings I had on the table: four stacks of the national trifolds, two stand-up letter-sized "I want you" Uncle Sam flyers I printed off of the forum, chamber flags, eyes and ears.

Catching people while they were in line was easy, because they were bored and needing something to do until the show opened its doors. But once the show opened, catching people on their way in was more difficult. On the way out, thought, it was easy-peasy. I'd ask people what they bought and men love to talk about their new toys! Ammo? Great, I know a place where you can shoot it. Rifles? Fantastic, bring them to an Appleseed. hehehe. I'm so sneaky.

Around 11 or 12, Desertrat144 showed up. He asked if we had passes or access to power. I told him no, that when I had asked about the passes, I was told I didn't need them since we were outside of the show. When I asked about power, they also told me no, but then placed our table right in front of an electrical socket. I told him to go ahead and plug his power wheelchair in to charge it and if they squawked about it, we'd deal with it then. Then, he went to talk to the show office and returned with passes! Yay! He brought me one with GG on it! How cool is that? He also provided an M-1903 to use as bait. It proved to be very effective bait too. Around 1 or 2 p.m., GB showed up too. I was so surprised to see him because he wasn't excited about tabling for Appleseed and had only signed up to do so from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. I'm glad we got a few extra hours out of him! With the two guys there, we were able to rotate out for some breaks. Desertrat144 went first, then GB and then I did. We each took a quick look at the gun laden tables of the show. GB brought back three slings and he gave me one! Score! Just before close of show, Balddragon showed up too! It was so fun to meet him.

He brought bribes with him too! GB and I only have one Appleseed shirt each, and mine fits rather loose. Which is great on the range, but not so cute for tabling. Balddragon gave us each two shirts, so when we came back to work the table the next day, we'd be wearing a clean one. My shirts fit perfectly! I can save the baggy shirt for the range; I have a good 7th- stepping shirt now. Balddragon also had more table gear with him, including a free-standing Appleseed banner sign. Balddragon and Desertrat144 went to talk to the show office about getting it set up, but it unfortunately was so tall, it blocked the TV advertising going on behind our table. We settled on the idea of using one banner across the front of the table. This was awesome, because I found some people presumed we were an extension of the Republican table next to us. The 2 banners worked as a table cover overnight as well.

Overall, Friday was awesome. I had two people sign up for the Appleseed email interest list and I talked and gave flyers to countless others. I don't know if GB talked to many gun show patrons; he's shy. Desertrat talked to a lot of people too, he was especially good with talking to those for whom the Adaptive Appleseed would sound more welcoming.

Saturday
Saturday started out entirely too early. I woke up tired and stayed that way the whole day through! I was so tired, that I ran late on my getting ready schedule and needed to take the freeway in order to get there on time. I don't normally take the freeway, but sometimes, it's awesome. This day, however, it wasn't that awesome, because I was so asleep, I went on autopilot and got on 395 North instead of 395 South. Oops. I ended up arriving a bit after eight, but Balddragon, NorCal22Gal, Jules and Eaglescouter were already there taking care of business. They brought with them inserts for the California shoots, AQTs, 2 rifles, a rifleless rifle used for training, beautiful opalized rocks and other brochures and business cards.

We anchored the banner to the front of the table using the opalized rocks and laid out the large, colorful spread of Appleseed fixings on the table. Then began the 7th-stepping. We added 8 more people to our email interest list and met a very motivated young man who would love to help us add more shoots to Northern Nevada by contacting the Carson and Washoe ranges. We met a muzzleloader who needed more information on the history of black powder rifles in the Revolutionary War and Eaglecouter was happy to oblige. My favorite part of the day was when Jules spotted a bunch of Army recruiters waiting near the escalators and sicked Balddragon on them. He walked right into their circle, disseminated trifolds, delivered the Appleseed spiel and then walked right back out. Whoah.

Eaglescouter brought a lovely certificate and free Appleseed entry card for us to give to Lou, the show owner. Balddragon, as California Appleseed State Coordinator, signed the certificate and presented it to Lou. Lou was so busy running the show, I only caught a glimpse of him that weekend three times. One of which, was this quick certificate presenting-ceremony. We didn't have time to talk to him, but hopefully we were able to express our gratitude for the free table, two shows running now.

There was an accidental discharge at some point during the show on Saturday. I don't know the whole story on it, except that it happened and it was loud. Some say it was a vendor, others say it was a security guard. Tales have the hole in the floor of the ballroom as well as in its ceiling. In any case, we are all so blessed that no one was hurt.

We 7th-stepped a lot of people on Saturday, although I myself ended up talking to fewer people than I had the day before. I felt bad about that until I realized that it was because having so many people there, five in total, the work was more spread out and lighter to bear. It was also nice to see other people's delivery methods in action. On Friday, I was better at calling out to the women who were tagging along with their men, letting them know we are female-shooter friendly and that women shoot free and I was awesome at talking to those who had made purchases and challenging them to bring those firearms out to a shoot. But working in a group, I saw Balddragon hitting up the military, Jules working on the youth shooters, Eaglescouter going toe to toe with the stubborn and NorCal22Gal was great with the women and with her early American Revolutionary war history.

After we cleaned up the tables and headed out for the night, GB and I met up to eat and then do our weekly grocery shopping. I knew I was tired when I left the show, but the drive to meet GB was surreal. I was dead on my feet! I felt just as tired tabling for Appleseed for two days as I did shooting a 3-day Appleseed. Lucky for me, GB took the shopping list and sent me home to sleep because I was walking and talking toooo slloooowwly. Thanks GB for taking care of the foodstuffs.

Sunday
I almost over-slept Sunday morning and I didn't even get up as early as Balddragon, NorCal22Gal, Jules and Eaglescouter did! I left them to man the table Sunday because I have church from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and I had to prepare my 2 hour Sunday school lesson and my gluten-free sacrament cracker before church that morning. I went to meet up with them at the Appleseed table after church, however and I got my ears full!!

It turns out I missed a lot of 7th-stepping. I heard tales of Balddragon and an ornery gentleman and Jules voguing with a local celebrity that looked like Wild Bill Hickok. Jules got his autograph and some photos while Balddragon gave him information on Appleseed. Desertrat144, Chris_H, Mrs. Chris_H and two of their minions were also at the table when I arrived. From the sounds of it, Sunday was very successful, netting an additional 5 interest list contacts.

Chris_H surprised me with a pink hat which proclaims in blue lettering that I am a RWVA Supporter/Volunteer and Balddragon sent me home with the most gorgeous piece of opalized wood. Opal is my birthstone and this was a particularly pretty piece so it was a very special gift to me. I made out pretty good at this show: a sling, 2 shirts, a hat and a piece of opal. It's like Christmas.   Hopefully the people to whom we 7th-stepped will feel like they made out good at the show as well with their new-found knowledge of their heritage and what they can do to help America.

Readers: I'm sure I'm missing parts of this story. I'm forgetful, tired and I wasn't there for one of the days. PLEASE comment and fill in the gaps. This was a great experience for me and I don't want to leave anything or anyone out of the story. More juicy details on Sunday's happenings would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the AAR on my blog: http://www.girlsheartguns.com/?p=261
And to the photo slide show on my blog: http://www.girlsheartguns.com/?p=299

NorCal22Gal

It was truly an awesome job GG did.

We all showed up and the table was there.  Passes were there.  People were there wondering by...slowing down to read the banner...some stopped to ask. some raced off to the show.

We had one guys come by and talk for a short time...before he left he told me his mother could trace her family back to Abigail Adams!!!

One small correction....it was Eaglescouter who pointed out the recruiters......

Thanks again to GG and Desertrat for getting this all set up. Great work!!

BaldDragn

For those that have not had the pleasure of meeting GG yet she is a wonderfull young lady full of spirit and ability. If the United States was full of people of the determination and self drive that she posses there would be little need of Appleseed, but as thing are we have a great need for her.

After one Appleseed, GG has taken the bull by the horns and made sure the Big Reno Gun Show had a table we could call home for three days. The only help she had, that I'm aware of, is support and encouragement from GB, and a few more experienced Appleseeders. But she did all the work and we owe her a debt of gratitude.

I had planned on getting to the show by early afternoon but the fates conspired and Jules and I arrived some 4 hours after the planned ETA. While I was finding places for SWAT fliers and figuring out how we would display the banner GG was in constant contact with the gun show attendees. I was looking forward to doing some training on how to work a table but her delivery was spot on and needed no help from me.

Except for the accidental discharge (that was very near our location) the show went perfectly. Without trying to plan it out, we found a way to connect the right Appleseeder to each of the attendees that passed by. One of my favorite moments of the day was when a young gentleman and his father stepped up to take some literature and I approached to tell them about our fine program only to be assaulted by accusations that the pittance of $70 for each adult male attendee added up to some fortune that MUST be being missused by this mysterious "Fred". Once I ran a few number by the elder man I made my case, quite clearly, that we barely collected enough to keep this group running and there was no money left over to be misused. The older man then tried every tact imaginable to accuse us of some tresspass, as I addressed each of his theory's I took one more step froward until I had move him well beyond the edge of our table. Once clear I thanked him for an entertaining argument shook his hand and sent him on his way.

Eaglescouter had a similar engagement with a man that thought because we couldn't address each and every trivia question he could pose about the Revolution, that we were somehow deficient. Once again the right person had found the right Appleseeder and Eaglescouters ever present logic and tenacity proved to much to be overcome.

These two were by far the exception. I enjoyed very much several people that stopped by to exchange excited comments about how they were thrilled to finally meet Appleseeders in person and volunteered, without being asked, to take whatever materials we had and spread them about the show so that all vendors would know that we were there and how what we were doing would help them out. I handed out several handfulls of tri-folds. It was clear that there was an effect, several vendors came out of the show to search us out and make contact. I spent a good deal of time last night sending out emails to the vendors that aproaced me wanting more than what we had on the table. When I finally did go inside the show was pleased to see that many of those tri-folds had found homes in the personal posesions of the vendors I bassed by.

We did meet local celebrity Doc Derdon. He has appeared in Deadwood as "the businessman from the east" in the episode where Wild Bill Hickok gets shot. His granddaughter is the worlds youngest bullwhip champion at the age of 4 and his is truly a bigger than life figure standing 6' 8" from the floor to the top of his beautiful 6X6 black fedora. Never one to let a golden opportunity pass me by I asked his advice one how to present history and received a valuable 30 minute lesson on how to keep an audience engaged and deliver the message our Forefathers handed down to us. I let him know that when his talented granddaughter was ready to for the next logical step of becoming the worlds youngest champion riflewoman the first brick of 22 would be on me.

As much as I went to Reno to get the word out to Nevada that Appleseed was there, and to help northern Nevada to become self supporting, I ran into many, many more Californians that Nevadans. But I know the goal was accomplished, because the answer to northern Nevadas ability to become completely self reliant in manning their own shoots was found, not walking by the table, but standing behind it.

Chris H, GG, GB, Feather Blue, and the rest of Northern Nevada, we are at you service until we are no longer needed.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

NorCal22Gal

Is Jules going to post the picture of her and Doc?   ;D

gglovesguns

Quote from: gglovesguns on August 16, 2010, 03:28:42 PM
We added 8 more people to our email interest list and met a very motivated young man who would love to help us add more shoots to Northern Nevada by contacting the Carson and Washoe ranges.

That very motivated man has just registered on the forum today.  ^:)^ Everyone, please welcome GunPowderTherapy. He has expressed interest in getting new shoots scheduled this year in Northern Nevada and in getting a group of us together to go practice shooting between official shoots. Let's not let him down!!!

gglovesguns

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 16, 2010, 04:20:24 PM
It was truly an awesome job GG did.

We all showed up and the table was there.  Passes were there.  People were there wondering by...slowing down to read the banner...some stopped to ask. some raced off to the show.

We had one guys come by and talk for a short time...before he left he told me his mother could trace her family back to Abigail Adams!!!

One small correction....it was Eaglescouter who pointed out the recruiters......

Thanks again to GG and Desertrat for getting this all set up. Great work!!

Thanks for the correction and my apologies to Eaglescouter. I did not mean to leave you out!  :bow:

gglovesguns

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 16, 2010, 08:18:42 PM
Is Jules going to post the picture of her and Doc?   ;D

Pics or it didn't happen!  ;D

Jules

BEST GUN SHOW ...EVER!!!! ^:)^

Golly, when Appleseeders get together,it's always a good time.

GG: you don't know how much we appreciate you picking up the ball and running with it. I look forward to instructing on the line with you.

I love working gun shows. I love talking to people, and you meet really really interesting people. Although I don't think the vendors did as well as they would have liked ( one poor man looked absolutely horrible as he lamented about the economy, no one buying his merchandise, and he had a case of shingles...........  ouch. We, on the other hand, did great. In the time I was at the table I only had one fellow try to harass me. Thank you EagleScouter for your calm and steady gaze after gently correcting the man.( he wanted to have a Trivial Persuit game on various and random facts from the Revolutionary War.) And we thought Fred grilled Appleseeders on history. This guy was intent on making me wrong. He felt we should be shooting with ball and powder..... exclusively..... okie dokie......

Loved talking with families and playing with their kids while the other instructors could talk with the parents. We all worked well together, and the table was well organized. I am kind of glad they wouldn't let us put up the banner, we draped it over the front of the table and held it in place with nice opalized wood and lead bricks. Sometimes folks came over to look at the rocks, and some thought the lead was silver at first glance. Not.   (and yes, we told them to go wash their hands after handling them)

BANG!

I wanted to hit the floor. I knew it was a live round going off. " I think something fell over in there", someone said. "no, that is definitely a round", I said skulking at my seat. There were several stories about what happened, but we will never know. I am glad no one got hurt, and that they didn't close down the show.

I made a lot of new friends in the outer hallway near the Grand Ballroom where the show was set up. The bartender set up to the left of our table, and I got to 7th step him much of the weekend. Actually we 7th stepped anyone warm and breathing. The day after Rod talked to the Army recruiters, I rode down in the elevator with a soldier from their group. He had not heard about Appleseed the day before, but between the 19th floor and the casino he got a true 'elevator speech'. I thanked him for his service as he exited, and could tell he was touched.

Ok, best moment ever:

I looked over to Mark ( the bartender ) and see Wild Bill Hickock standing there. I mean, this guy was TALL and dressed in a black duster and boots and a hat that must have added 8 inches to his already tall self. I grabbed a greenie and went over for an autograph. In the course of my child like admiration, I found out Doc (his real name) was the ambassador for the Nevada State Fair, he has a radio show on Fox. ( hmmmm something tells me I will have to follow up on that lead) AND he was in HBO's production of Deadwood. After Rod took the picture of Doc and I, Doc shared some wisdom on addressing a crowd, and how to keep em wanting more. It was so cool in every way....... I look forward to contacting him after the fair is over, and am even considering going back up to see him at the Nevada State Fair. He does a Wild West Show. He even came over to our table later to talk to Rod some more, and Rod told him the story of Hezekiah Wyman........... yes, Doc has long flowing grey hair.

All in all a great weekend. It is always great to work with friends, and to meet new ones. I am glad to have met GG and GB, see Chris H again, and to finally meet Desert Rat. He was kinda sneaky when he approached our table. He asked if we were 'disabled Veteran friendly'.  I told him "yes we are", and proceeded to tell him about our Adaptive Appleseed Board. A big grin came across his face, and he told me I had "passed the test." Sneaky sneaky man, and a fine Appleseeder.

There is another show in the Fall.

Just try and stop me from going. O0

love,
Jules

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

TrebleShooter

Oh goodness.
You guys are FANTASTIC!!!   ^:)^
I had the pleasure of working with GG at her first shoot and her persistance was admirable.   O0
And now she's running gun shows  :))
Congrats guys, and  thanks for the support cali people.  (you guys are really great!)
hey GG, now you get to give me gun show pointers, we're looking at setting one up for the 4-5th of Sept.  Xeyed is in charge of that, but any advice you can give is valuable.
;D :) :)) O0

~Treble

gglovesguns

Quote from: Jules on August 16, 2010, 10:48:55 PM

All in all a great weekend. It is always great to work with friends, and to meet new ones. I am glad to have met GG and GB, see Chris H again, and to finally meet Desert Rat. He was kinda sneaky when he approached our table. He asked if we were 'disabled Veteran friendly'.  I told him "yes we are", and proceeded to tell him about our Adaptive Appleseed Board. A big grin came across his face, and he told me I had "passed the test." Sneaky sneaky man, and a fine Appleseeder.

There is another show in the Fall.

Just try and stop me from going. O0

love,
Jules

I had a wonderful time meeting you all. Everyone made me feel comfortable and even though it was our first time hanging out, I felt right at home. But that sneaky thing Desertrat did to you, Balddragon did to me. He walked up, shook my hand and asked me about Appleseed. I was so shocked someone wanted to shake my hand before hearing the spiel, I almost didn't know what to do. I got going on the elevator speech and then he stopped me: just kidding! Darn those sneaky Appleseed boys!  :D

I would be so, so happy if you guys came up for the fall show.  ^:)^ I'll let you know as it gets closer what the plans there are.

gglovesguns

Quote from: TrebleShooter on August 16, 2010, 11:24:44 PM
Oh goodness.
You guys are FANTASTIC!!!   ^:)^
I had the pleasure of working with GG at her first shoot and her persistance was admirable.   O0
And now she's running gun shows  :))
Congrats guys, and  thanks for the support cali people.  (you guys are really great!)
hey GG, now you get to give me gun show pointers, we're looking at setting one up for the 4-5th of Sept.  Xeyed is in charge of that, but any advice you can give is valuable.
;D :) :)) O0

~Treble

Thanks TrebleShooter. It was a pleasure experiencing that first shoot with you. Thanks for the help with positioning and target reading. GB and I had an interesting first shoot. I was on pain killers and muscle relaxers and wearing a back brace due to a psoriatic arthritis flare-up and poor GB was sick that weekend. Add in my inexperience and his using the wrong sight picture for half of the shoot, we were an interesting pair! But you know, even with all of the difficulties, that weekend is still is in the top two most awesome weekends of the year. It's second only to the weekend when GB proposed.  :) I know, I'm such a dork!

My suggestions for the gun show are to go for the girls because they'll admit they could use more training and then challenge the guys because they're cocky. Bring a table cover to shield the table overnight if you're doing a multi-day show. I forgot to do that, but luckily Balddragon and Eaglescouter brought supplies for that. Other than that, just have fun! When you're excited about the program, the people walking by will notice that.

NorCal22Gal

Jules

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 17, 2010, 01:55:49 PM
Jules.....coool picture!!!!  ;D

Thanks. You know what? BD and I looked Doc Durden up online....... he is the ambassador for the fair. AND he told us he had a 13 acre ranch that has it's own movie lot with a saloon, bank, school house, gazebo, etc. Guess where it is? 15 miles from here! I am so there. I would really like to try and work with him to get an Appleseed endorsement. He does a lot in Nevada, and is a 'regular' on the streets of Carson City. And his little grandie girl is 4, and the youngest  bull whip champion to date. http://wildwestfair.com/about-us/fair-ambassador/

check it out.

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

desertrat144

For those who spoke with Doc and you think he is interested in AS, perhaps an invite to the next G'ville AS might pay off.  It shouldn't be too hard a pitch to Admin.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Jules

Quote from: desertrat144 on August 17, 2010, 10:30:12 PM
For those who spoke with Doc and you think he is interested in AS, perhaps an invite to the next G'ville AS might pay off.  It shouldn't be too hard a pitch to Admin.

Tom

I think that if he lives so close to us, I might try to get him here in Sacramento. When the fair is over, I am gonna actually drive over there and check the place out.

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Antibubba

It sounds like this show went even better than the last one.  Congratulations!  Reno is set up, and it sounds like the word is spreading throughout Northern Nevada.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

gglovesguns

Quote from: Antibubba on August 24, 2010, 08:09:00 PM
It sounds like this show went even better than the last one.  Congratulations!  Reno is set up, and it sounds like the word is spreading throughout Northern Nevada.

The word is spreading. The Northern Nevada Match has been struck, but I fear its flame is going to die out if we can't get a Northern Nevada shoot scheduled ASAP. What can you do to help me make one happen? Know any Northern Nevada folks you can get on the phone and kick into gear for me? I don't know where all of the Northern Nevada people have gone. It can't be just me, Desertrat144 and Chris_H, can it?

BaldDragn

Quote from: gglovesguns on August 24, 2010, 08:12:47 PM
The word is spreading. The Northern Nevada Match has been struck, but I fear its flame is going to die out if we can't get a Northern Nevada shoot scheduled ASAP. What can you do to help me make one happen? Know any Northern Nevada folks you can get on the phone and kick into gear for me? I don't know where all of the Northern Nevada people have gone. It can't be just me, Desertrat144 and Chris_H, can it?

Right at this moment, yes, that's is the active inventory of North Nevada's instructor core, but once about 18 months ago, Northern California was in the same boat.

No fears GG, we will make this happen.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

desertrat144

QuoteRight at this moment, yes, that's is the active inventory of North Nevada's instructor core, but once about 18 months ago, Northern California was in the same boat.

Who left the barn door open??   ;D

We might be able to get some One Day Seeds together.  see Mogs notice sent today.  We would need a SB or three, and figure who is wearing what hats- as for me I really need to complete a AS, maybe even qual for a hat.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan