News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Young Americans For Liberty

Started by TBE, August 14, 2010, 11:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBE

So, today I was in a store in Bloomington and saw a young man wearing a "Young Americans For Liberty" shirt.  I told him that I liked his shirt and went into my "do you shoot rifles?  bit".  He listened to my spiel and then countered with his own, "do you believe in a limited government?" bit. We traded information, invitations and websites. 

He said that he's a member of a campus organization, "Young Americans For Liberty" at IU. http://sites.google.com/a/yalatiu.com/home/
  He sounded genuinely interested in Appleseed and thought others in his organization would like to hear about us.  He also appeared receptive to the idea of us pitching our program at one of their meetings. 

He stressed several times that I should attend a talk to be given in September by economist Thomas Woods.  http://www.thomasewoods.com/

Tuesday, September 21st, 7:00pm
Whittenberger Auditorium at the IMU
900 E. 7th St. Bloomington, IN 47405

I am not familiar with Mr. Woods or his theory of history/economics. 

Upon reading the YAFL website, I get the impression that this lecture is a big deal for them and that they have a lot riding on getting a turnout for the speaker. 
So, I figure that since its a free lecture and is put on by a group which could prove fertile recruiting ground, I am going to attend the lecture and I'm going to try and make sure that the person I met today notices that I attended their function.  I think it could help establish good relations with this student group if we turned out a few people for their lecture (hopefully help us get a chance to pitch at one of their meetings).  So, if anyone is going to be in Bloomington on September 21 at 7 pm, you're welcome to attend an economics lecture with me. 

Not only might it help our program, but it's an ECONOMICS LECTURE!   ^:)^
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

hawkhavn

Intersting!  I saw one of his articles on the web earlier this week,  synchronicity at work.
How about a reminder about a week early?

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

TBE

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

J Jessup

Thanks for the heads up.  Sounds like a great 7th step opportunity for someone who has decided to get off the sofa, etc.

Jess

Heavy Cav

YAFL are part of the growing "Liberty" movement.  For You "Older People" Try "Campain for Liberty" or C4L for short.

22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...