News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR-15 Zeroing (300m Battle Zero)

Started by thor_axx, August 12, 2010, 10:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thor_axx

Does anyone have any good pointers in zeroing in an AR-15 using an A2 site? I would like to get it battle zeroed in to 300 m for my next appleseed but not sure of the procedure.

Mogget

Just zero it at 25 m and we'll show you how to do the rest at your next Appleseed!

Mogs

bedford

There should be a tiny "z" on your elevation knob. Turn knob to this and zero elevation by moving front sight to be on @ 25M. You can use a small allen wrench, a cartridge tip, or get a small tool like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=816450 No tricks for windage.

Muskyjerk

Also not the elevation drum is Cartridge specific, I am assuming M193 which is a 55 grain round and travels at a prescribed velocity. so if you are shoot any other rounds your come ups wont match the drum. Its best to fire at the diferent ranges and learn your "clicks"

get it (the rifle) shooting at 25 and the fine instructors at the next Appleseed shoot will get you straight with your clicks and yardage estimate.

MJ

Son of Martha

Assuming 20 inch sight radius and A2 rifle sights:

Use small aperature, set rear to "8/3" the UP one click.  Set rear sight to center mark on handle.  Zero at 25 yards using front sight for elevation and rear for windage.  This will be good enough to get going at an Appleseed, and if you have a venue where actual distance shooting is available will put the BDC function of the rear sight very close to on.

If you have not attended an Appleseed before, expect to see a zero shift due to position mechanics corrections and cadence change.  Wait until it has "settled in", then adjust zero to new POI.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

crak

Also make sure you're using the small unmarked aperture.  Not only is it more accurate, but it's actually on a different plane than the large 0-2 aperture. 

When zeroed at 300 with the small one, flipping to the big one will change your zero to 200!
Check your drama at the door.

bedford

I could be wrong but I think for a 20 inch flattop - turn to "z" and zero.
For 20 inch A2 1 click up (clockwise from top) and zero.
For M4 turn to 300 and zero.

Let me guess: you have an 18.5 inch barrel with rifle length free float handguards and a flip up sight?  ;D

thor_axx

Actually, I will be trying to zero in two AR's tomorrow:

1, 20 inch A2 Colt stock rifle with nothing additional on it except a leather competitor sling.

2, 16 inch Colt AR flattop with removable carry handle with a RRA's lower with NM trigger and all the Magpul goodies you can think of.

EEL

20" A2 is as Son of Martha stated.............set rear sight to 8/3 PLUS 1 click up.....then adjust 25m zero with front post.

Flat top w/ removable carry handle is 6/3 PLUS 2 clicks.....yes, there might be a little "z" there....maybe not...then use front post to adjust 25m zero.

Also as previously stated, these setting are for the M833 62 gr grn tip ammo.  While they will get you very close with M193 55 gr ball, when you go distance, it may not be dead on.  Work with your rifle.  Know what it will do, how to work it, how to adjust it's sights for your ammo.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

marrandy

Isn't it   'Base Sight Zero'  nowadays to make it less military/militia sounding.

Just curious.

EEL

My 2 cents....NO!  It is what it is.  It is merely a term we we have borrowed from the military to describe a method of adjusting your sights so, when hunting deer etc, you don't have to use "Kentucky windage" or estimate holdover. 

No different than using an AQT

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.