News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Billboards up in Terre Haute Indiana

Started by Scout, August 10, 2010, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Hey Guys, there are now two billboards up in Terre Haute Indiana. One on I70 and one on US40. Both are the large lighted freeway signs. Two more are coming for Indianapolis. I am attaching pictures below.

The two signs mean 200,000 views a week, 800,000-1,000,000 a month, 10,000,000 to 12,000,000 a year for Terre Haute alone. The Indianapolis signs will bring that to 20,000,000 views a year total just in Indiana. This is going to greatly increase our program's visibility and credibility just by having interstate billboards and by getting our name in front of 20,000,000 viewers. Having billboards does not make you legit, but it sure helps with giving you credibility in the public eye.

If any of you guys are in the Terre Haute area and can take some photos of these I am sure the Indiana crew would appreciate it. GO INDIANA!!!!  ;D ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

slim

This is awesome!

My little brother goes to school right near there. I'll see how long it takes before he calls me, "Hey man, what's the deal with that big Appleseed sign? All my buddies want to go now!"

Great work, guys. Keep it up!

TBE

Awesome!!  Anyone know how long the initial term is?

Edited to add:

Also, does anyone know the exit/cross street they are near? 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Scout

The signs are at positions #1 and #6 on the attached map below. GO INDIANA!!!!

The signs will stay up untill a commercial contract get signed on that particular sign location, then ours comes down and the Terre Haute rep calls Hawk and sends him another map of possible locations and Hawk picks one and it goes back up.

The signs are guranteed for a year so they will run untill we wear them out. And after a dozen phone conversations the Terre Haute guy likes Appleseed now. So I am hoping he will look out for us.  ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

AuntieBellum

:D

So, and I'm being completely serious here, who wants to meet us at the sign on US 40 in approximately 2 1/2 hours?  (That's 11:15 pm Eastern.)  Rimshot and I are heading out the door in the next 10 minutes so we can be the first to have a real, live picture.  Soooo, PM me for my cell number if you are interested in meeting us there.  I've got my camera and I'm heading out the door...
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: AuntieBellum on August 10, 2010, 09:40:15 PM
:D

So, and I'm being completely serious here, who wants to meet us at the sign on US 40 in approximately 2 1/2 hours?  (That's 11:15 pm Eastern.)  Rimshot and I are heading out the door in the next 10 minutes so we can be the first to have a real, live picture.  Soooo, PM me for my cell number if you are interested in meeting us there.  I've got my camera and I'm heading out the door...

Ahhh!  I wanted to go tonight but I am stuffing envelopes :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb:

I would meet you now, but it would be 2am before I got home, and Denise is still in Ohio, she would be jealous she missed it.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

AuntieBellum

And as promised...

From the Pizza Hut parking lot on 41, just north of I-70:

And just west of the US 41 exit on I-70 westbound:

I have a couple less blurry pics for the first sign that I"ll post tomorrow.  Photobucket and the Verizon network are not playing nice for me right now.
And the lights on the second billboard weren't turned on.   :(

Great signs, though!!! O0

AuntieBellum

Quote from: yellowhousejake on August 10, 2010, 10:26:43 PM

Ahhh!  I wanted to go tonight but I am stuffing envelopes :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb: :wb:

I would meet you now, but it would be 2am before I got home, and Denise is still in Ohio, she would be jealous she missed it.

YHJ

Thanks for stuffing those envelopes!  And, yeah, if I were Denise, I would've been a little upset missing out on that trip, too!

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

techres

I told Scout we would have pictures within 24 hours of getting final word that they were posted.  Guess we beat that by 2/3rds!   ..:..

Just like AppleCore to get it done and take pics to prove it happened...   :cool2:

Great job!

Scout

Quote from: techres on August 11, 2010, 05:04:30 PM
I told Scout we would have pictures within 24 hours of getting final word that they were posted.  Guess we beat that by 2/3rds!   ..:..

Guys, when Techres tells me something is going to get done, my mind is completely at ease because I know, for all intents and purposes, it is already done. The Indiana folks will get it done, Hades or high water :) ;) ;D

Great job Rimshot and AuntieBellum :) ;D  I will call Tom Hill and ask him about the illumination. But the signs are a non profit donation in terms of contract obligations so if they are non illuminated we will have to deal with it for now. I know the sign in Temple is illuminated so it might be a problem with the specific locations or it might be a policy to leave the power off on non profit signs there, but I will find out. We are ready to call in the payment for the two Indianapolis signs right now. As soon as payment is in they will send me a map of the possible locations and we will get them up. This is for two of the large 14X48 illuminated interstate signs.

We will also call in the Decatur Illinois signs today or tomorrow so there will be three signs on the Illinois side and I am trying to push one of them into the Springfield area if I can. This is a big thing as far as getting the APpleseed name in front of folks. Having a sign does not make us legit but it does go a long way towards giving us credibility in folks eyes. You can not have a billboard put up if you are doing something illegal or unethical--they will not put it up. So there goes one limitation on folks wondering about the program, if we were some kind of fly by night org. we would not have a billboard.

Plus, in many cases it takes folks many , repeated times of seeing something before they finally pull the trigger on doing it. These signs will be there day after day for that person driving to work and after a while he/she/they will actually do something about it and go to the website or call the nmber and make the decision to attend an event.

They see the sign, then they hear about it from the internet, a friend, a magazine article etc and then they see the sign again and finally they decide to attend an event and then become part of the program. I think the Indianapolis signs will really give the program a push bing right in the heart of the state. Thanks Rimshot and AuntieBellum :)   
BattleRoadUSA.com

Scout

Quote from: Scout on August 13, 2010, 12:17:26 AM
This is a big thing as far as getting the APpleseed name in front of folks. Having a sign does not make us legit but it does go a long way towards giving us credibility in folks eyes. You can not have a billboard put up if you are doing something illegal or unethical--they will not put it up. So there goes one limitation on folks wondering about the program, if we were some kind of fly by night org. we would not have a billboard.

What was I just saying? This post on another forum was just sent to me by Hawkhaven;

Andrew Said,
August 2nd, 2010 at 11:03 pm
I've not yet gone to an Appleseed shoot, but recently in Killeen, TX (near Ft Hood), I saw an amazingly high production value billboard for the program. This was legit- as professional as any billboard I've seen.

I thought until recently that Appleseed was the sort of thing that lived only in the Shotgun News and Backwoodsman. Awesome that momentum seems to be really picking up.

:) ;) ;D

BattleRoadUSA.com

Fred

There are prob a lot of "Andrews" out there who need the assurance of "mainstream" legitimacy which the billboards will help provide.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SPQR

We just need to hit more folks over the head with the "legitimacy" of marksmanship instruction.  That way they can start making themselves better.  Great looking signs!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

Alright, the kids and I are off to find them and hit the Riley range while we are out!

Will have pics....

techres

Ok, we went, we saw, we have pics to prove it happened!  We could not get a good spot for pics of the big one, but the second one was great with the kids sitting on top of the minivan:

They looked great and you cannot miss them as you drive by.  Very very cool, and I expect they will help Riley and other IN shoots alot.

Techres

P.S.  The kids took this as the somber trip it was (or not):

Fred

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

TBE

Man, your kids crack me up.  It's obvious why you care about our future. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

AuntieBellum

Nice work, techres - the pics looks great!

Jules

Love the pics of the billboard. Really Really love the pics of the kids.  ;)

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

spitstickler

Quote from: techres on August 14, 2010, 10:55:35 PM

P.S.  The kids took this as the somber trip it was (or not):

Oh, I can relate to this pic, Tech. I keep earplugs in every vehicle. The are great from an impromptu range trip... even better when the kid's sugar level exceeds my ability to drive safely.  ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

techres

Hey,

Any chance the Indy ones will be up this week?