News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

revolution war reenactment

Started by one zero, August 10, 2010, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

one zero

i have bin thinking to put on a Revolution war reenactment at the home range, with a shoot , that would last a weekend our better
once our twice a year,  it will be black powder only,  
i try to find out if there is intrest in that, before i start it up,
all responces are welcome, let me know about the idea's you all have
RWVA Home Range Controller

cannonman61

Let me know what you have in mind.

I know quite a few reenactors who would love an opportunity to live fire their muskets.

I also enjoy live fire with artillery.

Just as an aside, select a cooler month as the uniforms are HOT.
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Fred

Hmmmm, flintlocks - and cannon?

Sounds interesting.

CM61, think about a historically-appropriate weekend.

If not possible, how about a "most likely to attend" weekend - in other words, the weekend nothing else is going on in reenactment-land.

How about the weekend after Christmas?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

cannonman61

How about that weekend?  I will be in Az for my parents 50th the 16th-28th but will be home by then.
That next weekend  is New Years weekend and it would be a neat time to try and organize something.

It could be a salute to the American victories at Trenton and Princeton. These were the only significant battles of the war. and we won them. See below.

The Battle of Trenton (Dec. 26, 1776) was a crucial early victory for the American forces in the American Revolution. On Christmas night 1776, Gen. George Washington and about 2,500 Continental soldiers crossed the ice-clogged Delaware River from Pennsylvania; early the next morning they surprised Hessian mercenaries in the British service encamped at Trenton, N.J.

By four in the morning there were nine long miles to cover before wintry dawn. There was no smoking or talking or halting or straggling -- surprise was essential on the road that led to sleeping Trenton and its garrison of tough German professionals.

Soaked muskets became useless, but Washington ordered: "Tell General Sullivan to use the bayonet. I am resolved to take Trenton."  And for once, bayonets were available. Ice formed on the roads. Men fell in a clatter of equipment, were pried to their feet, and went stumbling on. Overhead the eastern sky began to pale. The columns broke into what a soldier later called a "long trot."

The hundred-odd scattered houses of Trenton lay silent under the storm, and ice glinted on picket fences, orchards, and the hulking stone barracks built to house Royal troops during the old French wars.

On high ground at present Princeton Avenue, Washington appeared with his staff, and threw in Lord Stirling's brigade, spearheaded by George Weedon's 3rd Virginia. Americans under Captain William Washington and Lt. James Monroe cut down the gunners about two Hessian fieldpieces. Arthur St. Claire's brigade was in, and John Stark, leading its right element, "dealt death wherever he found resistance and broke down all opposition before him."

As their firearms dried out, riflemen took aim and muskets began to pop all along the line. Colonel Johann Raul, Commanding Officer of the Hessian troops, still dazed from his holiday celebrations, raged up and down King and Queen streets, bravely trying to rally his men. Then he was down, mortally wounded. Sullivan swung his whole command up from the river to meet St. Claire crashing down from the north, and the remnants of the Trenton garrison downed arms in a dripping, winrty orchard.

The whole affair had lasted less than three-quarters of an hour.

American casualties were light, but the Hessian commander was mortally wounded in the ensuing battle, and more than 900 of his men were captured. Washington also came away with badly needed arms and stores. After their earlier defeats in New York, the Trenton victory restored the Americans' flagging morale.

© Copyright "The American Revoulution Home Page" - Ronald W. McGranahan 1998 - 02 All Rights Reserved

I will be in AZ for my parents 50th the 16th - 28th of December.

Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

one zero

i just want to get people involved to get it going and decide on a date, and the ideas you all have, yes we can do cannon fire reduced to four hundred yards
but first we have to get every one together,  Fred would like a historical date, but first we have to get it of the ground, we will have camping so we can set it up
so and some rifle man training the old way, storming the hundred yard berm and fire to the two hundred yard line, i would like to hear from so many as possible
and than decide on a date,also how accurate we want to be with the clothing, our make it more available  to every one that wants to participate and to get people motivated, to participate
RWVA Home Range Controller

jmdavis

Quote from: cannonman61 on August 10, 2010, 08:50:58 AM
Let me know what you have in mind.

I know quite a few reenactors who would love an opportunity to live fire their muskets.

I also enjoy live fire with artillery.

Just as an aside, select a cooler month as the uniforms are HOT.

I was hoping that you would post Cannonman. Indeed, I would like to try my fowler at long distance.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner