News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dry firing?

Started by Ricochet, August 03, 2010, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

I see where it is recommended to dry fire during a practice session. My question is do you use snapcaps, spent casing, or just an empty chamber. I was always taught not to dry fire a firearm, but in looking around even at the Ruger web site it recommends to dry fire.

Also why am I not allowed to post in most of the threads?

mikaldulee

The majority of the web site is for instructors and volunteers.  There is a "newbie" section where you can ask questions.

As to dry firing...  Yes we do recommend dry firing with unloaded rifles.  Safety safety safety!  I dry fire my Rugers and AR a lot.   

didactic

Dry firing will damage SOME models, especially some rimfires.  In some, the firing pin can break if it hits the edge of the chamber, uncushioned by the rim of a cartridge, or can damage the edge of the chamber, peening it over a bit and making it hard or impossible to chamber a round.

Ruger 10-22's are made so that the firing pin cannot go all way forward, so as to hit an empty chamber age, so can be dry fired without that worry.  Although MANY tens of thousands of hammer impacts can SOMETIMES peen over the rear of a 10-22 firing pin, so it doesn't go far enough forward to dependably crush the rim and ignite the round.  But firing pins are cheap, so even if that happens, it's well worth the price for the huge benefits of serious dry fire practice.

Just snapping the trigger, without actually practicing the position elements, adjusting NPOA, and executing the six steps, is a waste of time.

And of course, be triple-sure that the rifle is unloaded, ideally with no ammo even in the room.  And point the rifle in a direction that, even if the unthinkable happens and there is a discharge, no one will be hurt.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

nemohunter

we call it dry practice. it's free and it really helps build your trigger and breathing control. if your unsure as to weather or not your rifle is safe to dry practice with place a pieces of paper between the bolt face and the barrel. pull the trigger if the pin leaves a mark on the paper it's not OK to use that rifle. you referenced 10/22 in your post and they are perfectly fine to dry practice with.

make sure you sign in on your state board this will let you post a few more places. AS also has it's own little place over at Rimfire Central. you can post all you want over there. lost of us instructors over there too.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=267
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Ricochet

Thanks for the quick replies all.
I'll try the newbie thread for additional posts because I still have questions.

Ricochet

Sorry to bother you all again but where is the newbie section located?

featherblue

Ricochet,

PM nemohunter for info on making your 10/22 "ACCURATE". He did mine and I cannot believe how it shoots now!

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

mikaldulee

What kind of questions do you have?

Try the TEMP board ask your appleseed instructor...if you can or ask questions on your state board like you have.

But be patient.  We are all volunteers and our senior members are very busy.

Ricochet

I just know that I'll have questions as I go along trying to get ready to attend a AS sometime in 2011.

Do you know when the 2011 schedule will be posted? I work a weird schedule and will have to post vacation at the first of the year in order to attend an AS session. I'm from Poplar Bluff so I am kind of looking at attending one in De Soto maybe in the fall.

I just ordered in a Ruger 10/22 a week or so ago, so far all I've been able to do is work over the trigger and it's not too bad.... for stock that is. I have not been able to run any rounds through it yet.

I'll try not to bother you all too much but it's nice to know where I can come for some help later if needed.

I'll get busy and gather the other necessary items between now and then.

Thanks again.

Any firearm used for self defense is alright with me as long as it begins with 4 and ends with 5.

Old Dog

Too many folks get tied up in knots trying to work over their LTR into a "match" "target" rifle.

The purpose of the LTR is low cost practice/training.  You shoot it at 25 meters and get 500 rounds for less than $20 vs. shooting your .223 or .308 for 50 rounds for the same amount of money.

Once you've spent $240 on the rifle, $500 on the match bull barrel, synthetic stock, match trigger components, etc., etc., you could have bought a lot of practice ammo or a lower end centerfire rifle.  If your 10/22 (or any LTR) has a super smooth trigger and it shoots one hole groups and makes shooting a rifleman score so much easier at 25 meters how much will it help you when you put the LTR back in the rack and grab that AR15 or M1A with the gritty, draggy trigger and enough recoil/noise to bounce your sights right up off the target?

I'm not against a good shooting rifle, just don't lose sight of the LTR's purpose or benefits.

Have fun, learn as much as you can and then put it to use teaching others.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

mikaldulee

I'm sorry if it came across that you were bothering us.  You are not at all.  I was just wondering if it was something complicated.

If you want to do somethings to get your Ruger ready.  I would reccommend the following.

1.  Replace the factory sights.

2.  Get at least 4 mags and be sure they work.

3.  Install sling swivels (1 1/4 inch) and buy a USGI sling.

4.  Find an ammo that you like.  There are many opinions on this one.

I plan to be at Desoto so hopefully you can make it.

Old Dog

I should have added this link before.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9517.0        Its about getting your 10/22 ready for an Appleseed.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14076.0       This one explains the idea/purpose of the LTR - not just a Ruger 10/22 but whatever type of LTR you have/use.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Ricochet

I have the extra mags, will order a sling, and 1 1/4" swivels (only ones I've found so far are nylon......... will they work?)
Going to order the Tech sights and hope that my 60 year old eyes can work with them, otherwise I'll have to scope it.
Need a shooting mat, and jacket,..... I'm having fun right now just gathering the required materials.

As soon as it cools down here some (S/E Missouri is so much fun) I've got several brands of ammo that I'll be trying.
I think I'll also order the bolt holdopen/release then I'll pretty well be set.

Thanks again
Ricochet

Greg in MO

Ricochet,

Since you are from MO feel free to post in this forum.  Welcome to Appleseed!  Hopefully you can get to a shoot soon.  As far as next years schedule, I am not sure how that will pan out.  We are still adding shoots for this year, so I don't know that Greybeard has any dates set for next year yet. 

Desoto and Osage would probably be the closest MO shoots to you, but don't forget to look at out of state shoots, as IL or AR shoots may be closer to you.

Ask any questions you like.  That's what were here for.  And don't forget to drag someone to the shoot with you!

Greg

mikaldulee

I would recommend Uncle Mike's 1 1/4 inch sling swivels.  They are metal and about $10.00 at Wally World.  You will be taking the sling on and off a lot through the various stages each day.  You want them to be durable and quick...time is a factor.

There is nothing wrong with using a scope.

Thomas Embree

Wally World......... I never thought of them, but I'll give them a try.

I've already put the bug in a few of my friends ear and I'm gonna keep on bugging them.

Thanks again guys,
Ricochet

Any firearm used for self defense is alright with me as long as it begins with 4 and ends with 5.