News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Southern Nevada 7th Stepping

Started by TrebleShooter, July 30, 2010, 04:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrebleShooter

This thread is dedicated to keeping each other informed about where, when, how, and who we're 7th stepping to.

For example, on a shopping trip to Wal-Mart the other day, I passed out fliers and talked to the guy behind the ammo counter (who thought it would be a great idea for his teenage kids,) A guy in the back of the line at the checkout stand who was having his ammo held for him up front, and the female cashier who had overheard me talking to the guy in line.
I also grabbed the attention of a customer at work wearing a Remington hat (that's usually a clear sign) who was moving to Missouri.  So I gave him a flier and told him to get ahold of MOGrommit (who was the only MO instructor whose name I could remember). He asked for a couple extra fliers for his buddies and sounded pretty excited.

Also, we've indefinitely gotten the support of a new gun store opening up on Eastern & Serene, more on that later.   O0

~TS

gglovesguns

I just went in to get my teeth cleaned on Thursday and my dentist asked me what I've done this summer. I told him I've gone to an Appleseed shoot. A what? I explained. He seemed amused by my enthusiasm, but not very interested himself. My hygienist asked me the same question and I replied in the same manner. She, however, was interested, asked questions and took down the Appleseed website URL.

Thanks for sharing your 7th stepping and allowing me to share mine. Although, I'm in Northern Nevada  :)

Fred

While you're seventh-stepping, work on building a team if you hit anyone 'hot' on AS.

A team is far stronger than the sum of the individuals in it.

We've prob had hundreds of ASers come to the Boulder City AS, yet we don't have a team (to my knowledge) in the LV area.

Why not?

Surely a lot of attendees buy into our notion of the sinking ship.

Maybe they can't surrender their modern 21st-century "wothless doofus" personas?

Don't know - let's see if you can find out.

BTW, anyone reading this outside the southern NV area? YOU should be working on a team, also... O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Xeyed

Good question Fred,

Southern Nevada has been slow to coalesce. The match has been struck several times, but the fire hasn't started.

Historically, marketing efforts have been inconsistent. The results achieved so far are the results of individuals seven stepping flyer's to the local gun shops. But without local support, these folks have burned out and faded away.

But a nucleus is forming. There is now a team of a half dozen Orange Hats who are working to grow the program.

In fact, The first Southern Nevada Marketing team meeting was held two weeks ago.

The market was discussed. Two million people with high gun ownership rates.

Marketing approaches were kicked around.

Ranges and shoot schedules  were discussed.

Roles and responsibilities were discussed and assigned.

And an action plan was formulated.

Time will tell how effective our efforts are, but for now there is a small team who have picked up buckets and begun to bail.
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

RangeRat

At least 35 good FTF contacts today at Lock-N-Load's Grand Opening.  Lots of families and ladies.  Ran into a couple of previous AS'ers and some out of towner's who will check in locally when they get home.  Working with LNL to 7th step for us at the gunshow next weekend since they'll have a table there.   

Also 7th'ed a counterman at Bass Pro while picking up Persistent_1's new scope.

RR

TrebleShooter

Let's keep it up!
SniperCat and I modified the tear sheet flyer that techres put together for Southern Nevada and all shoots through December within 3 hours of Las Vegas.  Check it out, print it out, post it up!   ^:)^ ^:)^ :D :D ;)

gglovesguns

Quote from: Xeyed on July 31, 2010, 11:45:42 AM

In fact, The first Southern Nevada Marketing team meeting was held two weeks ago.

The market was discussed. Two million people with high gun ownership rates.

Marketing approaches were kicked around.

Ranges and shoot schedules  were discussed.

Roles and responsibilities were discussed and assigned.

And an action plan was formulated.

Time will tell how effective our efforts are, but for now there is a small team who have picked up buckets and begun to bail.

What is a marketing team? Does Northern Nevada have one too? It sounds interesting

TrebleShooter

I PMed the local instructor crew, gathered 'em up, fed 'em pizza, and we all discussed our plan of action for the next few months and how we were going to get more people out to appleseeds.
We assigned certain things to certain people, like internet promotions (Xeyed's son and I) , other gun board promotions (RangeRat), Gun show coordinator (Xeyed), flyer maker (Sniper Cat), alternate range location finder (chiller) and so on......
It was kinda like a party. 
Odds are, I've found in this program, if it's not being done, it's either for a reason or the fact that nobody has volunteered to do it.... So I did it.
One for N. NV would be a good idea I think.
Don't know if anyone is on it though.

TrebleShooter

These are the minutes for our July meeting.

Minutes for Southern Nevada Appleseed Meeting on July 13, 2010
Attendees:   TrebleShooter - Team Leader
      Xeyed - Publicity Coordinator (Newly Appointed)
      RangeRat, SniperCat, Chiller, Xeyed Jr (No forum name?)

Next Meeting:  August 24, 2010 7:30 pm   Location:  Same as last time/contact an attendee if you'd like to attend the next meeting  :)

1)   Ways to increase participation/number of shoots in SNV
      a)   More Shoots possibly add a November shoot

b)   More Ranges
                 i)   Desert Sports Rifle and Pistol Club (DSRPC)
                       (1)   Requires NRA RSOs
                       (2)   $5.00 per day per person
                       (3)   Chiller will talk to Arley/Robbie
                ii)   Clark County Shooting Range
                       (1)   Research Range COF - RangeRat
                       (2)   Research Private area
               iii)   Research other options (Indoor ranges)
               iv)   Comps to Range Board Members

c)   Increase Public Awareness
                i)   Post Flyers at Ranges
                ii)   Appleseed Sign at Range turnoffs
                iii)   Gun Shows/Staffing
                       (1)   Claude Hall, Sept 4 & 5, 2010 (Trop Sports Center) -  Xeyed
                       (2)   Crossroads, Oct 16 & 17, 2010 (Cashman Field) - RangeRat, Persistant_1
                       (3)   Claude Hall, Oct 30 & 31, 2010 (Cashman Field) - TrebleShooter, SniperCat
                       (4)   Crossroads, Dec 4 & 5, 2010 (Cashman Field) - ???
               iv)   Hunter Safety Courses
                       (1)   Check with NDOW - SniperCat
                       (2)   Henderson Park & Rec/NDOW Hunter Safety Courses
               v)   DSRPC Events
                       (1)   American Heroes Competition, Fall of 2010 - Chiller
               vi)   Bass Pro Events
               vii)   Gun Store Visits
                       (1)   RangeRat scheduled to attend Lock & Load's Grand Opening
                       (2)   Xeyed provided list of stores and pawn shops for marketing material distribution
              viii)   Venture Crew Visits
               ix)   Other Groups -  TrebleShooter
                       (1)   Research local Daughters of the American Revolution
                       (2)   Research local Sons of Liberty
                       (3)   Active Duty Military/ROTC
                       (4)   Other Service Organizations (VFW, American Legions, Masons, Elks)
                       (5)   Home Schoolers
                       (6)   Community Service Members (Fire/Police)
                       (7)   Other shooting groups (State/Local)
              x)   Community Calendars - Xeyed
                       (1)   Las Vegas Review Journal
                       (2)   Sun
                       (3)   Community Papers
              xi)   Internet Presence
                       (1)   Create SN Appleseed Facebook Page - TrebleShooter
                       (2)   Research accessibility to DSRPC and BRPC Webpages
                       (3)   Participate on NevadaShooters.com, AR15.com (Nevada Home Town Forum), LasVegasShooters.com
                       (4)   Craigslist

d)   Local Marketing Materials
                i)   Local Flyers
                ii)   Local inserts to Appleseed tri-folds
                iii)   Tear sheets
                iv)   SWAT Articles

e)   Acquire flags and banners to fly at shoots to draw attention from other range members.

2)   Ways to Improve Shoots
      a)   Distribute local marketing materials
      b)   Find local retailer to carry slings and other supplies - RangeRat
      c)   Get access to registration information before shoot.  Personally contact each participant before and after shoots - Xeyed
      d)   Create SN Appleseed shoot boxes that contain supplies and extras.  In addition to targets and  literature, the totes should contain:
                 i)   Duct Tape
                 ii)   Marker Paint
                 iii)   Black Markers
                 iv)   Pens
                 v)   Towels or Washrags for padding or bulking
                vi)   Cable Ties
                vii)   Electrical Tape
                viii)   Skateboard Tape
                ix)   Scissors
                 x)   Weed Whacker Line
                xi)   Drinking Straws (large ones used for milkshakes)
               xii)   Slings
              xiii)   Safety Glasses
              xiv)   Foam Plugs
              xv)   Suggested Reading Materials
      e)   Acquire CoroPlast Signage
      f)   Acquire additional visual aids
               i)   April 19, 1775 Maps
               ii)   Sight Pictures

FreedomV

Hi from Parump NV.  Here from MN Taking 4 day Defensive handgun course at Front Sight and 7th stepping to as many of the 450 attendees as I can- People are here from MOST of the 50 states including Alaska, Hawaii and Perto Rico  (SP)
Attending with one Rifleman future IIT and one future Rifleman. I have promoted Appleseed to about 20+ so far. These are 12-16 hour training days familiar to AS instructors.  Front Sight and AS both have goals of changing America for the better in unique and complementary programs. Appleseed is more able to reach local areas and has the great message of April 19, 1776 and the sacrifices that were made for us.
FV
Illegitimi non carborundum

Xeyed

Freedom V

Thanks for grabbing a bucket and  baiiling. You are now officially about as far away as you can get from the Land of 10,000 lakes.

FYI. We are having two shoots in October.

Boulder City (half hour from Las Vegas)October 16-17
Las Vegas Clark County shooting park October 30-31.

How is Appleseed being received with the Attendee's?

Have great course.

DesertDog

Quote from: FreedomV on October 10, 2010, 02:42:14 AM
Hi from Parump NV.  Here from MN Taking 4 day Defensive handgun course at Front Sight and 7th stepping to as many of the 450 attendees as I can- People are here from MOST of the 50 states including Alaska, Hawaii and Perto Rico  (SP)
Attending with one Rifleman future IIT and one future Rifleman. I have promoted Appleseed to about 20+ so far. These are 12-16 hour training days familiar to AS instructors.  Front Sight and AS both have goals of changing America for the better in unique and complementary programs. Appleseed is more able to reach local areas and has the great message of April 19, 1776 and the sacrifices that were made for us.
FV

Good job!!  I live 3 hrs from Pahrump and go to Front Sight often.  Almost all my break time is spent discussing AS with people, as I always wear AS t-shirt, hat, etc. when I'm there.

FS's Practical Rifle class is different than ours.  Theirs is about putting one round on target as fast as possible.  They also get into clearing malfunctions and a some tactics, much like the HG class.  When people ask me "What can I learn at Appleseed that I can't learn here?"  My response is, "We are a little more precision orientated."

I fully support FS's mission.  If I hadn't found AS before FS I would have become an FS instructor.

Who's your Range Master?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FreedomV

Range Master Daren Hines  ?  Not sure on the last name
All of the fellow students have been positive about Appleseed when I tell them what it is about and our mission, 90% have thanked me for the flier and for telling them about the AS program. 4-5 students have told me that they have been planning for an AS weekend but have not had the weekend fall into their planning schedule right yet- these were CA and WY/MT students.
FV
Illegitimi non carborundum

featherblue

Quote from: TrebleShooter on August 03, 2010, 09:23:53 PM
I PMed the local instructor crew, gathered 'em up, fed 'em pizza, and we all discussed our plan of action for the next few months and how we were going to get more people out to appleseeds.
We assigned certain things to certain people, like internet promotions (Xeyed's son and I) , other gun board promotions (RangeRat), Gun show coordinator (Xeyed), flyer maker (Sniper Cat), alternate range location finder (chiller) and so on......
It was kinda like a party. 
Odds are, I've found in this program, if it's not being done, it's either for a reason or the fact that nobody has volunteered to do it.... So I did it.
One for N. NV would be a good idea I think.
Don't know if anyone is on it though.

I nominate gglovesguns as northern Nevada Marketing Director.  O0

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

TrebleShooter

I Agree. She's awesome. But we kinda have to run that by her and I know she's been busy lately. Speaking of which, fb, is there any gun shows coming up that we are planning to be present at before the Gardnerville shoot? And/or do you need any materials to get out to gun stores to help fill the lines?  What can we do to help you guys fill that line? I just put together a n nv 7th step page as well, let's get some ideas going so that when we do find a marketing leader, half the plan is in place.

Chris_H

I'd third the nomination, but yes, it does depend on her time/workload.

I posted on that Northern NV 7-stepping page (thanks for that!) that there is a Crossroads of the West gun show May 20-22, at the Reno Convention Center. Just one week before the shoot. There is no "plan" on being there, as I don't think anyone has any kind of contact info to try to see if we can get a table like at the Big Reno Shows.

I do have a bunch of materials on hand - flyers, tri-folds, etc..

I haven't had a lot of time to do much for a bit, but things seem to be smoothing out. (Not necessarily less busy, but at least I'm able to manage them all a bit better! ) ++)

Chris

Xeyed

I've dealt with the cross roads folks for Las Vegas.

Good people.

You can probably still get a table. O0

If you can find the people to staff it for the weekend it would be a great opportunity.

PM me if I can help.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

TrebleShooter

Quote from: asminuteman on April 09, 2011, 12:18:46 AM
Off topic.....
are any of you So Neva folks going to gardenerville, memorial weekend?
X / treble anyone?, PM me if so, I may be in town (LV) for 7 10 days, and LLP and I were "chatting".
I maybe looking to car pool, up and down, share the load.......

K

Depends on what pre regs we see.  Gardnerville is Nevada's version of Piru, I think.  It's gorgeous and we get to rough it. ;) 

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine