News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Missouri Winter Shoots

Started by Greg in MO, July 29, 2010, 12:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg in MO

Hey gang,

Leave it to me to bring this up when the heat index is supposed to be around 100 for the shoot this weekend.

For those of you who have looked at our numbers, you know that we are behind the curve of where we should be this year, despite our increase in actual shoots.  Our attendance numbers have dropped off this year, for some reason.  So how do we deal with that or make up for it?

Part of our problem is that 3 months of the year (i.e. 25%) we don't have any shoots.  As much as I would prefer to sit in front of my woodstove all winter, we simply can't continue to do so and still meet our goals.

Many of you have already read about the new WinterSeed push that is coming up.  If they can have shoots in MN and WI, I think we can handle it too.  Consider it an excellent test of your winter equipment.  You DO have winter equipment, right?

Now is the time to start planning these shoots and making any preparations we can to help deal with conditions.  Things like Thor getting a mobile home at the DAR that we will be able to use to warm up during history, etc. are steps we can take to help ourselves and the shooters deal with the cold. 

Scheduling around the holidays will also be a challenge, but with us handling 3 shoots a month in the next couple months, we should be able to get several in from December through February.

Feel free to make suggestions afor locations and weather mitigation in this thread.  We are looking for ideas here.

Greg

Cookie Lady

Looks like there are openings in Humansville's schedule if Paulette is willing to host. I don't know what the facilities are there, though, so I don't know if there is a good place to get warmed up.

CL

Greg in MO

Make sure we discuss that with Paulette this weekend. 

G

Gramma Goats

The warming up could be an issue.  We could do barrel fires (homeless campfires :>).  My first thought is if they are not coming out now why would we think they will come out in the cold.  I do know that the response i am hearing is "I would like to come but i can not afford it".  I think we are realizing the effects of the downed economy.

We can talk more about it this weekend
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

nemohunter

i shot in march and we went from about 20 to 2 day one to day two. my small portable heater was the only warmth there and was a life saver. if were gonna winterseed we HAVE to have a way to warm folks up and we also need some kind of shelter from inclement weather. get wet in the summer and jump for joy. get wet in the winter spend the week in the hospital. i have cold weather gear BUT being camo its non compliant. buying a couple hundred bucks worth of good cold weather gear for my wife and myself does not apeal to me. if we could relax the rules to accomidate the weather that would help a bunch. project winterseed will have a home in my home town. in fact it may be the ONLY time we can use the location freely. not sure on that as were still chopping out the details but its looking that way.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Kent

I have already talked to Greybeard in hosting a shoot here in Jan or Feb.  ;)

After this last shoot in the heat I would think he would like the idea!  :D

mikaldulee

Wear snow camo... No one will be able to see us. @)

Thor's Hammer

Osage Beach DAR should be able to handle a winter seed. Getting some 3" clean and some fresh gravel for the entrance put down, hopefully by this weekend. With a heated, insulated building on site, having a warm up area for history and instruction should be helpful. The additional gravel should help the parking situation.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Greg in MO

Fantastic Thor!

We need to fit in a couple more shoots there this year.

Greg

Celt

I live not to far from the Humansville range and will be glad to help out in anyway I can. By bringing over wood to burn in barrels or things Like that. If it would be alright with Gramma Goats I might even be able to bring over a travel trailer to use as a warm up room. Also if I can make it to either Waterman or the Sept OSB shoot I hope to qualify rifleman and become an IIT. So we'll have at least one local IIT for the next Humansville shoot. 

I work outside all year round so I'm used to the cold and ready for it.  Thanks guys, Ian
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

cmidkiff

WooHoo!  Another IIT!

I'll be at the Sept Osage shoot... I'd be simply overjoyed to be able to hand you a Rifleman patch, and a brand new hat!

Thor:  I'm looking forward to some cool weather shooting out at Osage.  The gravel (I'm assuming it's to keep the mud pit at the entrance under control) and the building will be a HUGE help!  Anything we can do to assist, just ask!

A couple of burn barrels to gather round between COF is sufficient down to 20f or so, as long as it's dry.  Cold isn't a big deal, but cold and wet is.  The more of these 'winterseeds' we can have in November, December, and January, the better.  Might be cold, but it's normally pretty dry in those months.  February and March can be just miserable in this part of the country.  I have a hard time scheduling shoots without some plan to cover the firing line during late winter in MO.

Celt

Quote from: greybeard on August 23, 2010, 01:29:33 PM
WooHoo!  Another IIT!

I'll be at the Sept Osage shoot... I'd be simply overjoyed to be able to hand you a Rifleman patch, and a brand new hat!

Thor:  I'm looking forward to some cool weather shooting out at Osage.  The gravel (I'm assuming it's to keep the mud pit at the entrance under control) and the building will be a HUGE help!  Anything we can do to assist, just ask!

A couple of burn barrels to gather round between COF is sufficient down to 20f or so, as long as it's dry.  Cold isn't a big deal, but cold and wet is.  The more of these 'winterseeds' we can have in November, December, and January, the better.  Might be cold, but it's normally pretty dry in those months.  February and March can be just miserable in this part of the country.  I have a hard time scheduling shoots without some plan to cover the firing line during late winter in MO.

Greybeard,

I should keep better track of calender events :-\. Ends up I've got to go to a friends wedding on Saturday, and so I was wondering if I only make it to the shoot on Sunday does that still count as two apple seed events or do I need to be there for both days of both Appleseed events to become an IIT? Thanks, hope to see you all soon.
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

cmidkiff

Quote from: CelticMind on September 13, 2010, 12:24:42 PM
Greybeard,

I should keep better track of calender events :-\. Ends up I've got to go to a friends wedding on Saturday, and so I was wondering if I only make it to the shoot on Sunday does that still count as two apple seed events or do I need to be there for both days of both Appleseed events to become an IIT? Thanks, hope to see you all soon.

Hmmmm... One day only is still an Appleseed, right?  I don't know if there is an official position on this... anyone want to comment?

Greg in MO

I don't think I would have a problem with a person starting down the IIT trail when the 2nd Appleseed is Sunday only.  Probably depend on the person though.  That said, there is still the little matter of shooting the Rifleman score first, and preferably doing it a couple times.

Greg

cmidkiff

Quote from: Greg in MO on September 13, 2010, 02:48:20 PM...there is still the little matter of shooting the Rifleman score first...

Of course... can't neglect that one!

Celt

Quote from: greybeard on September 13, 2010, 06:37:03 PM
Quote from: Greg in MO on September 13, 2010, 02:48:20 PM...there is still the little matter of shooting the Rifleman score first...

Of course... can't neglect that one!

For sure I know that I've got to make that too. I've been practicing and feel like I should be able to make the cut. Thanks for considering my situation guys.