News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard 7/18-19/2010

Started by dwarven1, July 20, 2010, 07:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

Another Harvard shoot in the books!

Well, we didn't get rained on this time! Yay!!! Instead, it was sunny and 94 on Saturday, and only 89 on Sunday. Little breezy on Sunday, blowing the target backers around.

We made 2 Riflemen out of 13 shooters, both on Sunday, both named Steve, both at their first shoot. One took an Orange Hat and the other is thinking about it.

THe shooters were awesome. The heat was NOT stopping these guys in their quest for knowledge. Let me put it this way... every time I tried to get the shooters to try a little break, like, say, shooting a "Parker's Revenge", they wanted to shoot another AQT instead. How can you stop guys like that?

We had a father/son team drive up from NY for this. The father, David, just can't seem to catch a break with the weather, though... he was last up here with his older son at the Athol 2/09 shoot... when it was 1 degree and he was lying in a foot and a half of snow! Our Instructors stepped up and brought about 4 cases of water - which the shooters went through staying hydrated. It worked - no heat stroke, just a few folks with some minor sunburns.

Pictures...

Rifleman Steve C. accepts his patch - Steve shot a 216, I believe. (forgive me, my notes are MIA at the moment so I'm doing this from memory)

The centerfires make their appearance on Sunday - L to R, shooter Dillon with his M1 Garand, IIT Mike93LX with his Garand, and (I think) shooter Dave with his AR-15.

Dave showing us that "chicken wing" form.

Hey, Dillon! At 50ยข a round, why aren't you using that SLING???

Or putting that elbow on your knee, or at least chicken-winging it?

Father/son team Peter (l) and David (center).

Rifleman Steve W (l) and heartbreaker Dan (R). Steve shot a 227 and Dan shot a 208... and a 209... and a 209.  :wb:

Steve gets a well-earned Rifleman patch - Steve is just 18 and now an IIT. (and his father says that there's going to be no living with him. Hey, Dad... Best way to get bragging rights is to come and SHOOT next time and outshoot your son!  ;D)

Peter hung in there all weekend, sunburn and heat notwithstanding. For his efforts he got a patch. I have a feeling we'll see him again...

Get a good look at Sprocket and Mike93LX as IITs...

Cause they got promoted to Red Hats this weekend. They both did a GREAT job this weekend. Massachusetts is growing it's own crop of Red Hats and the crop is doing just fine.

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dziner

Heartbreaker Dan here.  I got SO close I could taste the rifleman patch.  Or was that the sweat pouring off my brow?  Anyway, I will be back and I will be getting that patch.  Count on it. 

It was a great time, short of catching a few burns here and there from flying brass.  Try as I may to stay in my Rifleman's bubble, a hot casing under your elbow in prone is hard to ignore.  But with scores like 208 and 209 I feel I pushed forward as best as possible. 

Crak and Sprocket spent a lot of time helping me refine my position and I learned a ton.  I appreciate the training and now have a new hero in Mr. Sam Whittemore.  My gf, a Whittemore from the Westminster area, has been inspired to look into her ancestry after I brought the story of Captain Whittemore back with me after my Appleseed experience. 

I will see you Appleseeders again and intend on walking away with several Rifleman scores!! 

Thanks again for the opportunity.

dwarven1

OK, got the Redcoat counts dug out.

Saturday (7 shooters on my line)
      AM      PM
100      4   6
200      3   3
300      1   2
400      1   2
HS        2   3
Clean     1   0
No hits   2   0

Sunday - 10 shooters (combined line)
      AM      PM
100      9   7
200      7   8
300      1   3
400      1   3
HS      1   4
Clean      0   0
No Hits   1   0

I give up on trying to format with this bb software. Y'all get the idea, though. Improvement on both days, noticeable improvement.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON