News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

200-500 meter shooting in Kingman,AZ this weekend

Started by mudhauler, July 19, 2010, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhauler

Anybody else going to the Kingman shoot this weekiend?They have actual distance shooting at 200,300,400,and 500 meters on Sunday(I went to the Memorial Day shoot two months ago).Is anyone else gonna join me in a full day of centerfire shooting and roasting in the Arizona sun?Kingman is only 100 miles or so from Las Vegas.We gotta show those Arizonans how we roll Nevada style-ha ha.

gglovesguns

Kingman's too far of a drive for me under regular circumstances, but then my car died! Oh no! But how was it? We need details :---

V

Well, I'm awaiting the AAR to appear for details, but as a teaser - it was brutal...

111 degrees no shade necessitating some interesting variations on the usual line discipline, in the time you put the mats and rifles down, get into prep, the rifles, ammunition, mats are too hot to touch!

We had four shooters who all enjoyed the exercise and got the necessary lessons - yes what we teach at 25 does scale up, yes there is more too shooting at distance, wind, mirage and wow, that really is a long way.

Cheers
V

mudhauler

Man,that 110+ degree Arizona sun drained me!I used my Bushmaster XM15E2S 5.56mm(a semiauto clone of the M16A2,but with a heavy profile barrel).Looking at my target,200 and 300 yard shooting put all my rounds in the head and neck area.At 400 yards,with wind and mirage now mattering a lot more than at 200 or 300 yards,I fired 10 rounds(I think,the sun was brutal on my tender little head),I got 2 shots in the 3 ring,3 shots in the 4 ring and 1 shot in the 5 ring.One of the instructors placed a steel plate on the target line painted orange,it measured 8-10 inches square(I'm not sure,but it was definately smaller than the AQT silhouette).I fired at that plate at 300 yards five times and hit it five times.Did I mention that the sun was beating us up?At the 25 meter line,I shot a 203 with the same rifle.I rushed on stage 2 sitting,I have a .75 x .5 inch three shot group in the 3 ring and the one shot .25 inches from the 3 ring that cost me the rifleman score-ARGH!But I did manage to clear both redcoats-the afternoon redcoat actually showing tighter groups than the morning one after being under the sun all day-go figure!The 400 yard redcoat had all three hits in the head(yeah,I'm tooting my own horn a little!)I'm thinking next time at Kingman I'll take my Colt with the Aimpoint ML3 with 3x magnifier and back up irons so I can try shooting with 3x magnification,1x red dot,and irons.I used one of those "shemagh" cotton scarves like chiller uses,that thing saved the back of my neck from getting burned.I also used it as a layer between my face and my rifle to keep from getting burned by our sun baked rifles.Yes,even keeping our guns covered when not in use they still got hot as hell!Even the little metal end piece on the end of the GI sling,when that touched my arm while slinging up it burned!Hey V,are you the brit from commie,I mean California(I was born and raised in cali,I can make jokes about it!)

AZOpie

The steel plates were 4 MOA for 200 & 300 yards. That 300 yard target it quite heavy - 1/2" AR-500 plate. I wll have to beef up the frame for that one, and build specific frames for 400 and 500 steel when I order that up. I also want to build a "front frame" that will allow paper to be attached in front of the steel targets. This will allow both paper scoring, and 4 MOA audible feedback on the KD range. It's a work in progress... It was great to see all the shooters out there this weekend!

AZO