News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beat the Monday blues - thread obsolete

Started by azmule, July 19, 2010, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

Oct 20 Update:  Pay no attention to this thread, please read the Tucson Wednesday evening LTR practice thread instead.  Thanks!
-------
If you're like me, there just isn't enough weekend time to practice as much as we should   ~~:) - especially when you have to waste an hour or more driving round-trip just to get to an outdoor range; and dry-fire practice at home only goes so far.

Therefore I'd like to hereby declare Monday nights to be LTR skill-polishing night at the Marksman-I indoor range at 5051 E. 29th street in Tucson.  I've been going in on Monday nights, and will continue to do so (though it looks like I might have to miss a couple in August) from 6:30pm or so 'till they close at 8  make that 4:30/5:00 to 6:00 during "summer hours" see my update below, with a stack of quick-n-dirtys and a kitchen timer to work on my basics - feel free to join me (.22 LTRs only please - though they may allow other pistol caliber carbines, but I don't have any of those so I didn't ask) and maybe we can turn it into a "thing" to help generate Tucson interest between Appleseeds.

Marksman info and map can be found at http://www.marksmanpistol.com/
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

AZOpie

Excellent idea! A great way to keep up your skills and keep out of the summer heat.  >:D

AZO

AZRedhawk44

Good job, azmule!

Have to see if azbinary joins you down there.  He's been itching for more 'Seeders in Tucson.

azmule

Well, here's a fine howdy-do.   >:(  I showed up tonight just as they were locking up - seems they just reduced their hours and now close at 6 on weeknights.  This really yanks my chain, as I told them when I was buying a year membership that I was doing so solely so could shoot after work during the week, and they said nothing then about the impending "summer hours."  Looks like I'll (we'll) now have to shoot from 5 to 6 on Mondays starting next week until either "summer hours" are over in September or we have enough people showing up to negotiate longer hours on "Appleseed Night" before then.

AZbinary

I'll try and make it next week, it sounds like a great idea!  Let's see if Mrs AZB agrees with us...We also shoot every other Saturday morning at the Southeast Regional range by the fairgrounds.  We'll be out there this weekend from 0800 to 1000ish, it's not too hot yet, and I'd love to see other 'seeders out there.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

I remember a couple of months ago seeing one other guy on the line out there shooting from prone - that must've been you.

So how many Appleseeders *are* there in Tucson Anyway?  Seems like at least half of the people I talked to at Sierra Vista in April drove out from Tucson, but you'd never know that counting names here.  How do we let *those* folks know?

AZbinary

There must be more 'seeders in Tucson, half the line at the last Sierra Vista shoot were from Tucson and environs.  I post practice AQT's and redcoats at the range in the hopes of "dog whistling" up some fellow 'seeders, but havent'' had any nibbles yet, beyond a few folks who were at the Sierra Vista shoot last time.  I'd say there are four pretty active 'seeders shooting at the southeast regional range, with a couple more who say they'll be going this September.

Hope to see you out there, we tend to arrive early and grab a few lanes on the right (short) side where we can move the little steel stands out of the way.  Once in a while, we'll use the long side and shoot the 200 yard targets, but it's too hot to walk that far right now :-)

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Yeah, the Marksman summer hours really suck.  I went in to work an hour early so I could get out early enough, I still didn't get signed in 'till nearly 5:15, and barely got settled in and shooting before they were all in there sweeping up around me.  Guess I'll just have to pick the Monday night thing up again in September.

AZbinary

I didn't leave work until after 5.  Mondays are bad work days, it's almost impossible to get out before then.  We still do the Saturday morning thing at southest regional though.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZSongdog

mule,

Yeah, the "summer hours" at the Marksman kinda suck. Hoping soon they will go back to regular hours. Dunno yet, tho.

As an armed security officer, my company gives me 100 rds of .40 cal per month and a membership to the Marksman...and pays me for 2 hrs time there. Not a bad deal as I usually take either my .22 pistol or rifle to practice with them as well. I finally got the sights adjusted on the 10/22 just right but now find I probably will not be able to attend the SV appleseed this coming weekend. Its a bummer but I have to do what I have to do.

They let you shoot prone at the Marksman? I asked about that and they said no. Sitting or kneeling ok, but not prone. Probably because they can't see you so well from the showroom area. A liability issue. But if they let you, they should let me.

With my schedule, I'm either working a Monday night or coming off a 3 day work weekend and too tired to concentrate on shooting. Mostly I've found that Fridays work for me and, surprisingly, there is not much of a crowd there. However, after October, other weeknights could work as well..as my work schedule permits.

It would be great to shoot with other appleseeders. Maybe the Marksman will go back to regular hours now and we can work out a day/time that's good.

Keep me informed,
Coyote

AZbinary

When is the Marksman going back to regular hours?  Mondays and Fridays are mostly out for me, but Tuesdays could work.  Hope to see you  guys at Sierra Vista this weekend.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Judging by the signs all over the place, I think their main concern is people hitting the ceiling/target-carrier/lights by shooting at an upward angle.  The first time I shot prone there last May I phrased it by asking them for the longest cardboard backing they had because I'd be shooting prone and I wanted to keep the target and line-of-fire low on the backstop.  They didn't tell me then that I *couldn't* shoot prone, but I noticed the first couple of times an employee went in with me to sweep brass or whatever, I assume just to be on hand in case I started cranking rounds into the ceiling - it hasn't been an issue once they satisfied themselves that I wouldn't.

I had picked Monday primarily because it was their emptiest night, and I was hoping for enough interest to start to "take over" a night.  During summer hours I've been getting in an hour or so at a time whenever I can a couple weekends a month - the last opportunity being on Labor Day - and none of the employees knew then when they would be going back to a full schedule, and I suppose it's possible that these hours might be permanent.   !@#)

It ticks me off that right after I bought a membership, I suddenly can't use it as I had hoped, but if it's truly that bad for them now I suppose it's either cut hours or close altogether.

azmule

I just called and asked, and was told that full hours should resume at "the end ef September."   ^:)^

Tuesdays are fine for me - Fridays not so much.

See you this weekend!

slinged_in

I'm in for evening shooting - keep us posted.

slinged_in

azmule

I just stopped in at the Marksman to verify that we will be able to start shooting next week - seems I was lied to again, summer hours will continue until "maybe the end of October."

I'm out of patience at this point and it took about all I had to avoid saying anything that might possibly result in burned bridges for Appleseed at this facility.  (BTW - I'm not presenting myself there as any kind of representative of Appleseed, but from previous conversations with the staff they do know that's why I'm there practicing.)

They *did* say that if I can get commitments from at least 5 people to be there that it will then be worthwhile for them to schedule to stay open that evening.  So let's say if we were to start going Tuesday evenings after work from 6 to 8, how many besides myself would be able to consistently make it?  If you can't make it every week, would you be more likely to make it every other Tuesday?

slinged_in

azmule

And two more from work make four total so far for the every otherTuesday evening plan.

We need one more for alternate Tuesday evening LTR practice...  Anybody?

AZbinary

I wiould love to commit, but I'm afraid my travel schedule won't allow me to this year,.  I'll still try and make it when I'm in town though

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011