News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Cook Who Was a Rifleman...from the Korean War

Started by M1NC, July 17, 2010, 12:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1NC

Its on the back of our shirts - 'Are you a cook or a rifleman?'  Well I came across a story in Bob Drury and Tom Clavin's book "The Last Stand of Fox Company" about a Marine who was a cook and a rifleman.  The book itself is an interesting read, but I'll give you the pertinent excerpt.

Backstory: In November 1950 the 246 Marines of Fox Company, Seventh Marine Regiment endured four days and five nights of unceasing attacks by the communist Chinese forces in North Korea as they tried to hold what was dubbed "Fox Hill" - a strategic overlook of the main service road that the Marines were using to regroup.  If that hill fell to enemy forced the Marines to the north would be cut off. 

In that battle they endured wave attacks by thousands of soldiers in temperatures that raged to twenty below.  In that bitter cold machinery broke down, batteries went dead and lubricating oil froze solid.  Three out of four members of Fox Company were killed wounded or captured. 

One of the Marines on the hill was Phil Bavaro.

Phil Bavaro had enlisted in 1946 and earned his Expert Rifleman Badge.  He attended cook and bakers school at Camp Lejune.  He had been injured in an accident and received a honorable medical discharge in 1947 but when the Korean war started he reenlisted and was assigned to Fox Company.

It was after three days of unceasing battle that his section's squad leader observed a sniper burrowing among the enemy corpses across the road.  Scully tried to fire but his Garand jammed.  He yelled to Bavaro who dropped the sniper.

"Nice shot for a cook" said Scully

"Got my expert marksman's patch long before I knew what a ladle was," Bavaro said.

Definitely a man who knew very much what he was about.

As Bavaro reflected later on his Sergent's comments the authors note:

"OK, so maybe he wasn't the Marine on the recruiting posters.  And maybe he wasn't even very handy in the kitchen.  But he could sure as hell handle an M1.  Nice shot for a cook? F*** that!"
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

Fred

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

slim