News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Recent Colorado Appleseed attendees and IIT's

Started by Colorado Pete, July 16, 2010, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado Pete

Let's hear from any folks in Colorado who have recently either attended a shoot or taken the orange hat.
Who are you, what is your opinion of your experiences, and what, if any, future Appleseed plans do you have?
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Dave and Cindy

My wife and I attended the July 12 Appleseed shoot in Fountain, Colorado. We both had a great time. This was the first time either of us have attended such a well organized, cohesive and comprehensive marksmanship class. We've had some instruction before that would touch on one technique or another, but just a little. Your class really put together all the information, tips, techniques, and skills into one very effective class. We loved it. And boy were we tired at the end of each day.
We are definitely planning on attending another shoot as our work schedules permit. I think I will try to shoot in a full distance event.
Thanks for the great experience.
Dave and Cindy.

Colorado Pete

Glad to hear you found it worthwhile. Hope to see you folks back again soon!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr

DakotaEdge

My wife and I attended the shoot out in Ramah, CO this past weekend and had an absolutely wonderful time!  I had been wanting to get to an Appleseed shoot since last spring but this was the first that worked with our schedules (AF Reserves one weekend a month) and limited travel ability (little ones at home with a sitter.)  I had previewed videos of other Appleseed shoots on YouTube and had some idea of what to expect - my wife was coming along more or less at my urging (and that was A LOT of urging since two days out at the range under the hot August sun is no picnic when you're almost 6 mos. pregnant!) 

The first thing that impressed me was the warm greeting we received and the great mix of other shooters there that day (young/old, experienced/new.)  The volunteer instructor staff was top notch - professionals one and all!  They conducted the shoot in a very relaxed, informative and safe manner, taking time to tailor each lesson to the needs of every shooter.  (15+ years of military service, and I have never had instructors as intuitive and caring or marksmanship/weapons training as thorough and detailed as what we experienced this weekend!)  Their mastery of the Rifleman's skills, their willingness to share their knowledge (not to mention time, equipment, etc.), and the constant encouragement were amazing. 

Another pleasant surprise was the honest, heartfelt emotion displayed while they related the stories and events of that fateful day 235 years ago.  The instructors brought to life the spark that ignited the Revolution by using the personal stories and experiences of the common people drawn into the fight that day, relating in a very personal way just a few of the countless sacrifices made on the path to our Nation's freedom.  Everyone attending definitely left with a deeper appreciation for the selfless decisions those brave initial few made, the risks they then faced, and the losses their families suffered. 

Since the shoot we have already talked three others into attending a future event, and we will definitely be back many times ourselves!  Our deepest thanks to the RWVA, to LongRifle (shoot boss for this event), and to all the Patriots that gave of their time this weekend.

LIABR

I recently attended my first Appleseed with my son in Fountain in July and again this past weekend in Ramah with my other son. We have not had much experience shooting rifles and it was a fun filled packed event of training, practice, and history of our country. The instructors are top notch. I look forward to attending more and introducing it to others. This is great instruction for novices or skilled shooters and great for families. If I were a kid when I received this instruction and experience it would be indelibly etched in my memory. I hope that is what it will be for my sons and the impact it will have on them for the rest of their lives. Thanks again to all of you orange, red, and green hats! I look forward to seeing you all again.

bigdrumdaddy

After 2 years of trying, my wife and I attended the recent (AUG 28-29) shoot at Ramah, CO - and, while I didn't make it back for sunday's conclusion due to physical disabilities, I was very pleased with the AS program. (My wife didn't shoot. She was just there for me.)
  I can't say enough about the professionalism and personal attention exhibited by every instructor. Each of them are to be commended for a job well-done - and the Shoot Boss (LongRifle), while busy, seemed to be everywhere at once, and offered me all the attention one could expect (along with all the others).
  The course of fire, while basic, proved to be challenging - especially for me and my spinal injuries, as I soon found that firing from the prone was next to impossible as the 4-level fusion in my neck caused too much pain to hold a sight picture. And while LongRifle and his instructors made every effort to accommodate me (including the loan of his own personal rifle), by the time I determined I'd have to try shooting from another position - the damage was done, and I was too shaky to hold a sight picture in any position. One of many lessons learned - and to be overcome.
  Nonetheless, I am a firm believer in the AS concept - and was touched by the heartfelt accounting of the events of 19 April, 1775, especially the emotionally-charged conclusion from an instructor who must remain nameless (as I don't recall his "handle").
    Having said that, I definitely plan on attending another AS, hopefully the next Ramah date. And will bring as many others with me as I can round up between now and then.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men should do nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

4 MOA or Bust

My torn-up elbows, my FAL, and I were at Ramah over the weekend.

I've done instruction in a professional capacity on and off for the last twenty years, and I have to say all of the instructors at Ramah were some of the best I've encountered anywhere, in any field.  They were patient, knowledgeable, and VERY enthusiastic.  You could feel their enthusiasm.  I could tell that there was a ton of collective experience amongst the instructors, but I didn't see a single ego out there.  The teamwork between the instructors was also first-rate.

I've been shooting most of my life, and I learned a lot more in one Appleseed than I did through other means.  The program WORKS.

You'll be seeing me again, hopefully soon!

Colorado Pete

I'm glad to see you all had a good time and a positive experience! Come out again, and bring some friends!

Colorado Pete

Back to top - would any new IIT's like to get out for some shooting practice time with me?

Wade

Quote from: Colorado Pete on November 04, 2010, 03:56:54 PM
Back to top - would any new IIT's like to get out for some shooting practice time with me?

I don't know if you would call me new or not ,,however it looks like there is a very good chance I will be in the Denver area this weekend and would be happy to pay the fuel bill to get that way (fuel in my truck cost alot more then your pickup car etc) have some d prone target centers with me ( only 2/3rds of the full sized). So  what say you if I don't get a load out this afternoon I am here for the weekend wanna go shooting but cost of gas was slowing you down ? problem solved  O0.
pm me

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Colorado Pete

Wade, give me a call when you know what will happen!

NeverGonna

I have attended two Appleseeds.  Wow!  Well worth my time and effort although my body may have said otherwise!

My husband and I attended a late summer Appleseed and really enjoyed it - enough to brave the November cold!  My dad had guns around the house and we grew up "shooting" occasionally.  Appleseed is teaching me to shoot correctly.  I am a work in progress.   

But work in progress or not, this program affected me enough that I had my hubby buy me my own gun - without a scope.  If I am gonna do this, I am gonna do it the right way. 

We are planning on attending the Gunnison Appleseed later this month and are really looking forward to the April Appleseed.  I think I have my son and his wife convinced to attend!

I view this program as something that is well-worth my time and efforts.  It is great family bonding time too.  Better yet - the history lessons are unbelievable.  I cannot believe the commitment the instructors put forth - and on a volunteer basis!  God bless you and thanks for providing something that is so touching on so many levels!   Can't wait for the end of the month!
Nevegonna but always trying!

NeverGonna

Just got home from the Gunnison Appleseed.   Just a little chilly (-13) but they had a place we could get out of the weather and warm up all set up.  I had a great time.  And met some awesome people.  Would not have missed this weekend for the world.  Can't wait for the next one!
Nevegonna but always trying!

Crazy Tim

Attended the AS event in Gunnison a week ago.  Al ran a first rate event.  It was my first outing since I stepped up last November to accept the coveted "Orange Hat".  Al gave me the opportunity to serve as Line Boss for the afternoon of the second day under his watchful guidance and instruction.  Thank you Al for this opportunity.
Would also like to thank Cowboy for both his assisting in running the event, and supplying a great range on his property.
Gunnison AS shoots in the winter is something to experience.  Yes it was cold at times, -13 on the way out on Sunday morning.  But Cowboy set up a tent with a wood stove that provided a very warm atmosphere to take breaks and enjoy stories. 
The trip was very well worth it.  I attended with my wife (who does not like the cold), but we dressed for the conditions and had a great time.  My wife, Sandy (Never Gonna) even made up a pot of chili for everyone to share.  Al provided a special recipe of warm apple cider.  The whole weekend was extremely enjoyable.
I highly recommend to everyone to attend an AS event in Gunnison, winter or summer.  Beautiful country and fantastic people!