News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rolla, ND, RBC - July 24-25, 2010

Started by dond, July 11, 2010, 10:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

What a great week of heritage and marksmanship. Nine shooters attended the RBC, and from the beginning they proved to be the best group of shooters  that I have ever witnessed at an AS event. All achieved Rifleman scores the first two days, including a rather small, but really cool, 13 year old, who had shot a Rifleman score previously. One shooter stepped up to take the Orange hat. Some others had already done so. A short while later, shooting KD out to 400 yards was taken up. Afterward, seven of the nine qualified as Riflemen on the KDAQT. And this included the 13 year old SHOOTING AN AK. The high score at both the 25 meter and KDAQT, was that of a sharpshooting lady with a 14.5 inch AR.

Later, shooting was done from the 600 yard berm and most were hitting the targets consistently, including the 13 year old, who was now shooting an HK.

The AS which followed had 5 shooters, 3 of whom received Rifleman scores. Sunday afternoon, shooting was done on a 36 inch diameter metal disc at distances of 200, 300, 400, and 600 yards. Good hits were made by most of the shooters at all these distances.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

cmidkiff

Dond,

It was a pleasure to work with you (and your better half).  Great folks, wonderful weather, nice facilities... if I could have figured out a way to get rid of the mosquitoes, it would have been a perfect week.  Judging by the front bumper of my truck, I'd say I had to have made a dent in the mosquito population :)

Someone up there needs to get an orange hat on Coby.  He expressed an interest to me while I was there, and he'd make a fine addition to our instructor corps.  I don't believe the Rifleman score would be a problem...  he shot what, a 248 on his practice AQT?

Johnnyappleseed

Dond  O0
Wow ---looking foward to seeing more of North Dakota .
After your RBC they sure have the tools .
See you on the trail
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dond

Hey Johnny,

Most of the credit goes to The Guy. He did a terrific job. The rest of the credit goes to the shooters. They were fantastic.

I asked Coby about an Orange Hat, Greybeard. It looks like we're going to have to work on him some. He would be a good addition.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

ndrifleman

Wow--the RBC was even better than I could have imagined, and I did have high expectations to begin with!  Thanks to all the instructors who came and made the shoot what it was: DonD all the way from Kentucky with his wife, The Guy and Greybeard from the lower midwest, Aftermath, Alex, and Whisker, from MN, IA, and SD...   

There were so many techniques I learned.  My notebook is full of scribbled notes that will have to be arranged in order one of these rainy days.  I feel like I am much closer to knowing my rifle, it capabilities, limitations, and quirks. Having not done a whole lot of KD shooting before, it was great to be able to do it for four full days. From what people tell me, RBCs usually do three days of .22LR shooting @25m, but thanks to the marksmanship abilities of the attendees we were able to get in that extra day at full distance.

I have to say I was impressed with DonD's organization, he had everything you might need and then some!  As an instructor, I really learned a lot by being around some of you guys who have been at it for a while.

The Guy had an answer to every question we had, and it always worked.  The class lectures added a whole different element to what I've been used to in regular weekend Appleseeds.

Whisker did a great job as Shoot Boss for the weekend, and I was honored to be presented with the Red Hat on Saturday.

I enjoyed visiting and instructing with Russellmn and Three (aka Dave).  Great job to the shooters on the weekend who made Rifleman for the first time.

OBTW, I talked to Coby this evening and he brought up the subject of getting an orange hat.  He told me he was impressed with what Guy said about meeting John Adams after you're dead and being able to hold your head up without regrets.  Coby was also struck with how well the instruction was presented without being on "information overload."  Becoming involved with AS might just be the next step for him!  He convinced me to attend next weekend's Highpower Competition at the same range the RBC was at in Rolla.

Thanks again to everyone, you made my year!
"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell

vmt193

NDR

Congrats on the RH! ND's first? You know what to do. ~~:)

vmt

The Guy

The shooters were across the board more ready than any bunch I have worked with as a whole that I can remember.  We started zeroing centerfire on Tuesday am first thing, and did more distance work as an entire class than any RBC I have ran or been to ever.

This will be one to cherish.

I am very proud of my new Northern Border Brothers and Sister.  Well done all.  The Instructio prior to this event at th local Appleseeds must have been grade A to be so well prepared, so thank your local Instructors and IITs for preparing you.  Not to mention Dond getting the final kinks out before I even got there.

I hope to see you all (with hats on!! are you listening?!?) again soon!

Guy

russellmn

TheGuy, DonD, Greybeard, Whisker, Aftermath...  THANK YOU for a truly exceptional week!   ^:)^ 
I can't think of a thing I would want to add to the RBC, the instruction was truly top notch. 

This week was a great week that I will never forget.

NDRifleman, Banjoman, Paul, Adam, Alloverit (Evan), Darrell, Shannon, Three, it was a wonderful week to spend on the line with you. 
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

Whisker

North Dakota seems too good to be true, until you think about their winters. 

Good people! I feel like everyone left with not only the ability to shoot full distance, but teach it as well. 

Congrats to the new red hats, Ndrifleman and Banjoman!  Well deserved.

Good to see you all- looking forward to the next one.
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

Forces from Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota and Minnesota converged upon the unsuspecting inhabitants of the agricultural region of north-central North Dakota.  Who could ever had anticipated such a coalition of boarder raiders for North Dakota's inagural Rifleman Boot Camp?
Well, apherently the NoDakotians...  They were ready. 

At 10:00 hrs; Russellmn, three, and myself embarked upon a long journey across the northern forest and farmlands of this great country!
And by long, I mean ssslllloooowwwww.  About an hour into what should have been an 8hr trip the fuel pump on the truck decided it was gonna go on a 'slow-down' strike.  Guess with all the ammo in back, it was getting over-worked.  As the turn of events would reveal, we limped all the way to Rolla.  Arriving sometime after 22:00....  It's kinda ironic, being in 'stop-n-go' traffic; when there isn't any traffic. #)
We did however, get a nudge part of the way from a kind-hearted police officer. @&){Don't worry, he didn't follow us ..:..}
We were greeted by the great care-takers of the range, Steve and Susan.  The welcomed us in.  Heck, they even fed us and put us up for the night!  Southern-style hospitality, in North Dakota!  I'd like to give them a special thanks!
As we were about to learn; hospitality is the norm in NoDak!  In fact they put 'Minnesota nice' to shame!
I'd also like to give a big thanks to Coby for all his help this week.  Part of the club and a tremendous help, all week.
It's of my opinion that he's gonna be a fine asset to the program!  Perhaps, we may even tackle him down and staplethrow a hat on him someday...[I was shooting standing at 100 with him; he shouts 'dang-it, I dropped a round'-it was a 4!  He knows his stuff!]
Coby also introduced us to our noble mascott:  Bruiser, who's appetite included everything.
Everyone GOT IT!  And Evan, well, he was All-Over-It!
The NoDak crew was great!  Well done to both the new Red Hats:  NDRifleman and banjoman
Two new IIT's outta SoDak were also representing:  tool and die guy and Shannon.  Both did swell, Shannon even brought home a new friend!
Paul and his two sons, Adam and Even, are all men who know very much what they are about!
My first time meeting dond; his mastery of marksmanship proved why he is indeed, a Master Instructor.  He's an all-around upright guy.
And I can't possibly ignore his better half, Sarah.  Showed me more than a few techniques from her mastery of logistics and support.
Then there was the Guy; well what can I say? He's the Guy.
The president of the club also stopped by; I believe we made a good impression.
This should be the first of many!
Lots of fun.  Lots of learning by all.
Now, as to the particulars of the event......

[Ha!  Bet ya thought I was gonna tell ya! O'Ha!  What happens at Boot Camp, stays at Boot Camp! Muuauauaahhh!]

There may be some pictures that slip through for disinformation purposes....  Stay tuned, or start bugging three.
If you really want to know what it's like at an RBC; well there's only one way to find out-GO TO ONE!!!
It'll get you in on some of them 'inside-jokes' you keep hearing. ;)

Back to the Trail!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Whisker

Some fun photos.
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

Old Glory!

GREAT AAR.......on an Appleseed RBC that hasn't even happened yet?

???

So would it be July 26 in North Dakota today?   >:D

Congrats on ND first RBC! :bow:
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Old Glory! on July 19, 2010, 08:14:26 PM
GREAT AAR.......on an Appleseed RBC that hasn't even happened yet?

???

So would it be July 26 in North Dakota today?   >:D

Congrats on ND first RBC! :bow:

Yeah, as we said they're well-prepared.  It only serves that they should be a few days ahead of us...

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH