News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AZ - Instructor KDC, August 15th 2010

Started by AZRedhawk44, July 11, 2010, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

Arizona and neighboring state instructors:

AZ will be having a known distance clinic on Sunday, August 15th in Sierra Vista.

Attendance by all AZ IIT's is highly encouraged.

It'll be hot, dusty, probably windy and we'll all end up getting sunburned and dehydrated.  It'll be a great time. ++) ;D  Bring your centerfire rifle and 200 rounds for it.  Bring your thinkin' and teachin' hat, and come prepared to soak up some knowledge, to formalize our technique for presenting KD so it is uniform across the rest of the program, and to get some trigger time in.

This event is open only to instructors active in the Appleseed program as of today.

Chime in here if you're attending.  Event location will be sent via PM to attendees.  It's possible that this might happen on private land rather than at a conventional range, so if you have a pop-up shelter, add it to your gear.  We'll want some shade out there.

AZOpie

It's on the calendar. Looking forward to eating some dirt, changing my skin color, and drinking a whole bunch of water. I've got a pop-up with "wings" I can bring...

AZO

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on July 11, 2010, 06:11:31 PM
Arizona and neighboring state instructors:

AZ will be having a known distance clinic on Sunday, August 15th in Sierra Vista.

Attendance by all AZ IIT's is highly encouraged.

It'll be hot, dusty, probably windy and we'll all end up getting sunburned and dehydrated.  It'll be a great time. ++) ;D  Bring your centerfire rifle and 200 rounds for it.  Bring your thinkin' and teachin' hat, and come prepared to soak up some knowledge, to formalize our technique for shooting KD so it is uniform across the rest of the program, and to get some trigger time in.

This event is open only to instructors active in the Appleseed program as of today.

Chime in here if you're attending.  Event location will be sent via PM to attendees.  It's possible that this might happen on private land rather than at a conventional range, so if you have a pop-up shelter, add it to your gear.  We'll want some shade out there.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

AZbinary

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

NEWGUY556

I am interested. I just need some details before I can commit. My kitchen pass was approved last night.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZRedhawk44

Just a heads up/FYI, this will cost $5 per head to cover range expenses.

AZRyan

Doubtful I'll be able to make this. I'll be on the road off and on from now until September. I'll be gone the two weeks prior to this, returning Saturday. 

lysander6

We are confirmed for the SV range at our usual haunts.  I will provide backers, T-Posts and flats of cold water.  We have lots of shade and they do allow camping if you wish.

Please come prepared with your thinking hats on.  We want to conduct KD at every AZ AS starting in SEP if the range permits it.

I am interested in moving by 100 yard increments with each successive AS so we would begin a 300 yd range in FEB at the first SV 2011 AS event.

AZR and I are the only SBs in AZ but that does not monopolize the intellectual capital for the shoots.

I suspect that AZR will have a confirmed POI/COF at least a week prior to mission.

Please PM with any questions.  We will have a BBQ at my house following the training. 
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

AZRedhawk44

QuoteI will provide backers, T-Posts and flats of cold water.

Not to nitpick at this point, but T-posts are going to be rather annoying when we shoot out to 500 yards.  Slow to drive in the ground, slow to bring back from downrange.

I've got my quick-assembly target stands and backers sized for it.  I'll bring those.  And I've got a healthy stack of RWVA KD targets in the garage.

QuoteWe want to conduct KD at every AZ AS starting in SEP if the range permits it.

Please reflect on this statement from lysander6, folks.  Our goal, from here on out, is to provide the finest intermediate distance marksmanship clinics available, while awakening the slumbering American masses to their inheritance and responsibilities.  We have a reputation right now as a "pretty good program that teaches at reduced distance."  We need to improve that.  We can, and we will.

We WILL be conducting KD at every event, from here on out.  Even Buckeye, where no long range is available and the 200 yard range is only available after public hours.

We all need to be on the same points of instruction.

If you haven't yet read the Rifleman's Boot Camp POI document, download it now and study it.  In particular, pages 50-56.

Link:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13885.0

We all need to have mastery of the entire RBC material set, but for this particular event, we need to know pages 50-56.  A prototype "cheat sheet" is in the works and being developed, but it is not completed and does not have the stamp of approval.  Until that time, the RBC materials and Fred's guidelines from here ( http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11175.0 ) will be our guidepost for our KDC and serve as reference materials to standardize upon.

AZbinary

KC,

The link provided is to a classified area of the board.  Can you provide a doc for us underlings?

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Oh, that's right... it was in the Instructor section.  Red hats and SB's.

We'll go over the salient points together at SV. 

Just to get you guys warmed up, here's the premise we're working under:

RWVA Instructors are expected ultimately to know the intricacies of the RBC POI.  There's different data for our 3 American cartridges, out all the way to 1000 yards.  There's adjustments for slope.  There's compensation for temperature, air pressure, elevation.  There's a lot of stuff in there.

But when it comes to KD on Sunday afternoon at a 2-day regular Appleseed, we use some standard generalized information, and present in a lot less detail in a way that applies to all 3 dominant cartridges.  This is the information we're going to go over.

The RBC POI data will be different.  It will be more accurate.  It is suitable to use at an Appleseed on a 1:1 coaching basis, or for particular extreme conditions:  A range with an extreme down/up slope for KD, or a day with more wind than Fred's Simple Rule can accomodate for, or a range up high in Colorado above 5000 feet.  Something like that.  But other than extenuating circumstances, we're going to be using simplified and condensed KD topics.

IIT's should have access to the RBC POI document, I believe.  If you don't have access to Fred's statements on KD, don't worry.  We'll go over it at SV.

AZRedhawk44

OK, folks, chime in here with your confirmed intent to attend and what caliber rifle you are bringing.

I hope to minimize the number of KD targets we use (and the number of target stands we have to lug 500 yards downrange!), and I want to team a .223 shooter with a .30 caliber shooter and share targets if possible.

I can shoot either an AR-15 in .223 or an M14 in .308, but would prefer to use the M14.

AZbinary

Mrs. Binary and I are confirmed,

I'll have an M-14, with an M-1 garand backup, Mrs will have her .30 carbine with AR (M4gery)backup.  If needed, I can shoot whatever, but would prefer the M-14.

I'll have an extra carbine for Tara, and anyone who needs it is welcome to the backups.  If more are required, let me know.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

I'm in, shooting .223 on this one. I love my M1A, but I'm using the AR for the Washingtons birthday match in Feb...

AZO

AZbinary

I'm getting ready to hed out of town, I should return early Saturday, so what time is the Sunday meet up?  Right now, I'm planning for a 0800 show time in SV.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Lysander6 has proposed a 10AM start time.  I like that.

I'm planning on being at the range around 9:30 or so.