News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed Billboards up and Running in Texas

Started by spitstickler, July 07, 2010, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LabRat

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

DSIL78

I was driving back to Austin from Dallas last night and saw the Billboard all lit up.  It looked great!!  I think that is going to help get the word out so that we can turn our nation back in to Riflemen and Riflewomen.  Amazing it gives me that itch to get back to another Appleseed soon.  Great work every that made this happen.  Thanks

Baminal

Way to go Scout!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

This is a great way to pull people out of their driving stupor and back into being a real citizen.
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

Gramma Goats

have you seen the 76 flag?  (stars and strips with 76 and stars)===would be cool to use on the billboards and banners too
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Scout

Quote from: Gramma Goats on August 02, 2010, 01:34:40 PM
have you seen the 76 flag?  (stars and strips with 76 and stars)===would be cool to use on the billboards and banners too

That is a nice one but the one on the sign is the "Betsy Ross" flag because it is the traditional "first flag" of America, and also the one we use for the Rifleman Badge stars and the one most associated with Lexington, Concord and the first days of the war even though it did not come into being until June of 1776.

The "76" flag is credited as being flown over military suplies being defended in Bennington, Vermont in August of 1777 by Colonel John Stark in charge of the Colonial Militia and helped out by Ethan Allen and The Green Mountain Boys. But some scholars say this is questionable as they believe the flag's first use was during the War of 1812 when it was flown by Colonel Septa Filmore at the Battle of Plattsburg in 1814.

The only flag rumored to have flown on April 19th is the Bedford Flag. Legend claims it is the flag carried by Bedford Minuteman, Nathaniel Page, to the Concord Bridge on April 19, 1775. The Bedford Flag is the oldest flag known to exist in America today. It matches the description of a flag that had been made for the Massachusetts Bay Militia and flown during the French and Indian Wars. There in no records of any flag being flown on April 19th, but there is a British diary entry of Regulars chopping down flagpoles with locally made flags.  (just some FYI)  :)

If you guys get a chance, drive by the sign in Temple or Killeen or get a buddy to do it and tell me what you/they think. I am going to take pictures of the sign again tomorrow with Chuck and you guys take a look at it and tell me what you think. My wife said the website and phone number is too small to read going by. This could be true but ignored by my eyes and mind as I know exactly what the website and number is with a one second glance.

I think we should also look at adding another design. Maybe a picture of a family of shooters, maybe making the lettering larger.  We should be thinking about tweaking the signs as quickly as we can while at the same time getting them up across the nation in a rapid fashion. I have the two DAR signs ready to go up here in Davilla and I will take some pictues of them as soon as they are flying.

The earlier idea about getting some sponsors would be a good one if you could get them to donate the monwy without getting anything in return other than our thanks. We are getting the rates we get because we are a non profit org. If we tried to put some additional advertising on so someone could get some for free we would be violating our contract.

But that does not mean someone could not donate money towards our sign project. It actually is something folks can get their minds around rather than an abstract concept of donating to "save America", so do not give up on asking folks to donate money for the signs. ;)

The next set to go up should be the Terre Haute signs that will go up on I70 and US 40 in Terre Haute this week. One 14X48 will go up on US40 facing east and one 10X22 on I70 facing north. Hawkhaven and Techres are going to see about taking pictures of their signs and posting them as soon as Lamar sends me the completion report. Lamar will send a complation report as soon as the signs go up and include pictures, but I imagine Hawks and Techres's pictures will be a lot better.  :)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

starfox

Quote from: Scout on August 02, 2010, 08:28:29 PM
If you guys get a chance, drive by the sign in Temple or Killeen or get a buddy to do it and tell me what you/they think. I am going to take pictures of the sign again tomorrow with Chuck and you guys take a look at it and tell me what you think. My wife said the website and phone number is too small to read going by. This could be true but ignored by my eyes and mind as I know exactly what the website and number is with a one second glance.

I would tend to agree, especially as the location is on a slight curve after going under an overpass.  It is readable, but not very easily.  The URL is easier to pick out than the phone number.  So, maybe nix the phone number and make the website URL bigger? 

All in all though, it is very noticeable, and the Project Appleseed is very easy to distinguish before one hits the overpasses. 
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

marrandy

The I-75 from Florida all the way up North is a major transit route on the East side of the USA. A few months ago, when we went from Florida up to Blue Ridge, GA, after we crossed the FL/GA border, there were dozens of blank, white billboards, one after another between the border and Atlanta.

Major traffic interstates are, obviously, heavily trafficked.

Great work by the way.  Kudo's to all involved.

Scout

The billboards are up in Indiana now also. There are two up, one on I70 and one on US40. There are two more coming for Indianapolis. I have attached the signs photos below.

The two signs mean 200,000 views a week, 800,000-1,000,000 a month, 10,000,000 to 12,000,000 a year for Terre Haute alone. The Indianapolis signs will bring that to 20,000,000 views a year total just in Indiana. This is going to greatly increase our program's visibility and credibility just by having interstate billboards and by getting our name in front of 20,000,000 viewers. Having billboards does not make you legit, but it sure helps.

The two Texas Boards add another 10,000,000 views a year to this tally nationwide. GO INDIANA!!!!!
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

starfox

Quote from: Scout on August 10, 2010, 07:37:02 PM
The two signs mean 200,000 views a week, 800,000-1,000,000 a month, 10,000,000 to 12,000,000 a year for Terre Haute alone. The Indianapolis signs will bring that to 20,000,000 views a year total just in Indiana. This is going to greatly increase our program's visibility and credibility just by having interstate billboards and by getting our name in front of 20,000,000 viewers. Having billboards does not make you legit, but it sure helps.

The billboards will definitely help with the "name recognition".  When we started this year with the Fort Worth gun shows, I would say a majority had not really heard of Appleseed, or had heard about it, but had no idea what it was.  Contrast that with the May Dallas Gun Collectors Show and I would say a majority had heard of Appleseed and knew in general terms what we were about (at least the marksmanship side).
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Scout

QuoteContrast that with the May Dallas Gun Collectors Show and I would say a majority had heard of Appleseed and knew in general terms what we were about (at least the marksmanship side).

Exactly! With the billboards, the NYT article we have jumped way up in name recognition. Do a search on NYT/Appleseed Project and you will see a "Who's Who" of all the gun forums and sites. Every one had a running thread on Appleseed and the rough treatment form NYTs.

We are addding a half million views evey week with the four billboards now in Texas and Indiana and Steve Struve is buying signs for College Station. That will add another half million a year to our Texas stats. 
BattleRoadUSA.com

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Scout

That is my personal number that I put out for all the future Appleseeders/current psychos to call me on. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

Rimshot

Quote from: Scout on August 02, 2010, 08:28:29 PMHawkhaven and Techres are going to see about taking pictures of their signs and posting them as soon as Lamar sends me the completion report.
Quote from: Scout on August 10, 2010, 07:37:02 PM
The billboards are up in Indiana now also....
GO INDIANA!!!!!
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15971.msg130851#msg130851
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Scout on August 11, 2010, 12:12:01 PM
That is my personal number that I put out for all the future Appleseeders/current psychos to call me on. ;)

Well, I hope you have unlimited calling.... @@)

Should prove to be excellent entertainment, never the less.    ++)
Besure to record the real good ones. >:D

Oh, no!  Here comes  &)...
Back to work!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

lookylou

Scout, it looks like Fred finally listened. This is a good thing. How about billboards in El Paso? Or just one? In English?

dirtyrice