News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Info on Myakka

Started by marrandy, July 06, 2010, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrandy

Hello,

Despite various issues I have been having, I am looking for info on what the range is like at Myakka.  i know Myakka has multiple ranges.

Can anyone who has been provide info on:-

a)  The location you are using at the range from the clubhouse.

b)  Is it covered ?

c)  Is the shooters area concrete or grass ?

d)  Does the sun, during the day, shine into the shooters area aka is the shade overhang insufficient.

I have a pop-up and a few large containers for Gatorade, Ice, iced water, water for dipping hats, clothes etc.  I'm thinking of bringing towels etc. to cover weapons so they won't sear me when I pick them up. Even a couple of changes of clothes.  Whatever it takes to make the day bearable/survivable.

Is there a water source at that part of the range even ?

Actually, it would probably be good for range information at each of the Florida ranges so people can plan accordingly.

Regards...Martin

PHenry

marrandy,
Myakka is the first regular venue in Florida. It has a public line that runs out to 1000 yards and it staffed by good people. They offer camping with power and water (no sewer) for $8 / night!

Answers to your ?
a) Area 51 - past the clubhouse, curve to left past the benchrest line.
b) Yes, with a large tarp canopy.
c) Concrete.
d) Negative, but it still gits hotter than hades. The line runs east / west, so the sun never gets under the canopy.

There is power at the benchrest line and I have some really long extension cords - doubt they would mind if we brung fans - I have one good air mover. I may try that idear at next event. It's all about pacing and water - we have learned here that we need to go easy on the "quickly" from noon on. Less AQT's, but still can be good events.

No water source at Area 51 - just a porta potty.

Of course, the bottom line is that you do what you can do - no shame to sit a course out for health and safety. We cannot afford to lose a single Patriot!

ItsanSKS - how's our range info looking in terms of heat survival?  :sos:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ItsanSKS

Please see the new sticky, here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14944.0

Hot weather is a way of life here in Florida, and one must acclimate themselves to the heat over a long period of time.  Very few people are used to it, even those who have lived here there whole lives... A/C is a both a blessing and a curse..

Any event in FL during the summertime is going to be HOT, covered firing line or no.  We do our best to provide some form of shade at those venues without permanent cover, but we can only do so much.  It is highly recommended that one bring LOTS of water, some form of shade if not provided by the range, and a few bags of ice, and you should be fine.  A towel to cover the rifle isn't a bad idea either. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

PHenry

Orientation of the firing line is also critical. Firing lines that run north and south, even when covered offer little shade in late AM and mid to late PM.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Sly223

Hey Martin,
Rick Hall here, if you look at some of the AAR's for Myakka Look for PaulBrown or Brownbess, he always takes great pictures.
No picture can prepare you for the heat. Pre-hydrate the night before and alternate water and gatoraid, All day drink even when your not thirsty and regulate your health status through your urine, The more often the better once every two hours at least and the clearer the better.
We also keep an eye on those around us to make sure they don't start making common mistakes they don't usually, Slight delerium is one early sighn.
Good luck hpoe some of this helps any and all ways to beat the heat are welcomed.An ice cold Watermellon is my personal savior.
If you reach heatexaustion warm water is absobed best by the body, in order to utilize fluids your body has to bring them  to Temp.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!