News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Women only Appleseed in Florida?

Started by ItsanSKS, June 29, 2010, 05:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

After reading about the tremendous success that has been realized over the past year with holding "LadySeeds" or women-only Appleseeds,  I am forced to wonder if such an event has a place in Florida. 

Do you think we can scrounge up enough liberty-loving women to come learn about the founding of our country?  Think there are enough women in FL to fill a line?

The 'LadySeed' concept has a few things going for it.  Many women are intimidated by the 'mens club' mentality that pervades most of the shooting sports.  No concern of THAT happening at a LadySeed. 

There are certain aspects of the instruction that are difficult for some men to address with those of the fairer sex; this too, can be overcome at a LadySeed. 

So what about it ladies?  Are you willing to come out to a Florida event, dedicated to you, the mothers, daughters, wives and sisters of Liberty? 

Just say the word, and we'll make it happen.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

caseyblane

I've talked to my wife about coming with me to an event without much success. She said once maybe she could get some of her girlfriends together and go. She is a pretty girly type. No offense to all the other ladies out there, but for my wife and her crew I would imagine they would be a one day only group.
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

Trisha

I have instructed at 2 different women's Appleseeds and both of them had some of the girly type you are probably referring to, and you would be surprised by what the women get out of it. The first one I was at in IA last year, the woman that was most dedicated was by far the most girly and she even went to another AS and took the OH. I wouldn't worry about women who seem too girly for an AS, I feel that if you all think that it will be a success in Florida then get it on the schedule because those women may turn out to love AS and who knows they may want to instruct.

jollynator

marrandy

Most definetely.

My wife was intimidated when we went shooting so I sent her on a  'Babes with Bullets', women only and all women instructors.  She loved it and has confidence now even when men are around.

The problem will be, do we have enough women instructors to supervise it ?

Trisha

Quote from: marrandy on July 06, 2010, 03:45:23 PM
Most definetely.

My wife was intimidated when we went shooting so I sent her on a  'Babes with Bullets', women only and all women instructors.  She loved it and has confidence now even when men are around.

The problem will be, do we have enough women instructors to supervise it ?

The one thing about having women Appleseeds, it seems that women instructors from other states always seem to enjoy traveling to an All women's AS, so there shouldn't be any worry about that.

Mogget

If I wear my Kilt, can I attend?

And two or three other adjustments, max.   :)

Mogs

willorith

In Florida we have several women IIts. Four or five I can think of off the top of my head. We should be able to get by with just a lady Redhat.
We are but human.

PHenry

I am working on our first female SB - always been a goal of mine - have someone in mind. I feel that "sheila" instructors bring something extra to any event. I have always felt that it is important to expand our demographics to include more kids and families.

When women see that we are not just a bunch of hairy-legged men who talk "guns" - they are more likely to come out to events and bring the kids and it really doesn't matter how well us old men can shoot and how much we appreciate our unique heritage - it's all about passing it on to the kids.

Or, maybe is was being raised by a single mom - who knows???
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

reagansmom215

I would LOVE to be a part of something like this. one of my goals is to show other "sheilas" that you don't have to be a hairy-legged man to take on the traditions of Appleseed. did i color my hair before attending the last event? Of course! didn't have time to get my nails done though... :-[  LOL

I think this is a great idea. Mrs Cleaver and I have talked about trying to get a bunch of the girls from work to go with us. only bad (or sad) thing is, not many of them own a rifle. and it would be a totally free event. but if Fred doesn't mind about that, why should I?
STOP GLOBAL WHINING!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Prov 3:5-6)

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. [...] It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government. " -  Thomas Jefferson, letter to statesman (later president) James Madison (Jan. 30, 1787)

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target.

marrandy

Quote from: reagansmom215 on July 17, 2010, 11:10:47 PM
I would LOVE to be a part of something like this. one of my goals is to show other "sheilas" that you don't have to be a hairy-legged man to take on the traditions of Appleseed. did i color my hair before attending the last event? Of course! didn't have time to get my nails done though... :-[  LOL

I think this is a great idea. Mrs Cleaver and I have talked about trying to get a bunch of the girls from work to go with us. only bad (or sad) thing is, not many of them own a rifle. and it would be a totally free event. but if Fred doesn't mind about that, why should I?

Great.  Get it going and my wife can come as well.

It worked really well with her on the   'babes with bullets'   all female instructors and students.

She is OK shooting around men now and can put the all the rounds into an 18" target at 15 yards rapid fire with her S&W M&P 9mm pistol.

I think that will work in a SHTF situation.

PHenry

I have two fine Liberty Teaching Rifles that would just love spend a weekend being "caressed" by women, and I'll bet there are others that would be ecstatic to join them.  >:D

So no rifle is no excuse. I see female instructors as an asset to the program, as they offer a perspective that men can rarely understand or provide. They also encourage women to attend and once Mamma Bear see that we are truly a family oriented org - they'll bring the kids. Once the kids tell Pappa Bear how much fun they had - along comes dad.

Plus, they smell better.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata