News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Traveling up to Massachusetts

Started by kentuckyjam, June 29, 2010, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyjam

We are traveling to Lexington and Concord for vacation in a couple of weeks.  Any pointers which interstates NOT to take as we drive from Ky?  Right now, looking like a 15 hour drive and I don't want it turning into 18 from not asking.

Thanks in advance, didn't know where else to post this.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

CortJestir

Coming in from NY and through CT, do not take 95 (New England Thruway) to get to I-91. Instead take 287 (Hutchinson River Pkwy) from NY to Route 15 (Merritt Pkwy) into CT to 91 to 84 all the way onto the Mass Pike - shaves about 30 to 45 mins off your trip and you don't have to deal with any big rigs on I-95. Route 15 is a pleasant and scenic drive through southern and central CT.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

kentuckyjam

Sprocket

Also - feel free to PM me if you'd like suggestions on other destinations & accommodations.

If I am around I'd be willing to take a day or two to be a tour guide for you.  Give the city 2 days for sight seeing, give the Battle Road at least a full day.

sgtrock

If you have Commercial Plates on your vehicle you will be restricted from Parkways and Some others around NYC and such,, plan carefully,, and watch the signs,, I have to really take care getting around down around those areas with my pick-up, Just my $0.02,,, sgtrock

crak

Instead of 287 to 15 and 91 I do 287 to 684 and 84 in NY and ride 84 all the way in.  I find 15 really annoying for some reason.  Probably be fine either way.

Let us know when you're coming and maybe I can go on Sprocket's tour too. :)  Or maybe we'll have the IBC and everybody will go.
Check your drama at the door.

Sprocket

Sprocket's Tour makes stops for coffee and food and ends with food and beverages - wait, just about everything I do is like that...

As a historical tour, I'll probably end up at The Green Dragon or another pub with good food and um, old stuff on the walls.

dwarven1

Quote from: crak on June 29, 2010, 05:34:36 PM
Instead of 287 to 15 and 91 I do 287 to 684 and 84 in NY and ride 84 all the way in.  I find 15 really annoying for some reason.  Probably be fine either way.

This way you avoid going through NYC... which is a wonderful thing to do. Avoid NYC, that is.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

crak

Exactly!  Now I remember why 15 is so annoying.  It's what comes before/after. 

Going back a step, to get on 287 I'm always going up through jersey on the garden state parkway.  I don't know if you're planning on going through Jersey but you can also pick up 84 in NY/PA and skip Jersey if you'd like.

I don't know anything south or west of there.  :)
Check your drama at the door.

fprintf

Wait wait wait, you can have the best of both worlds, avoiding NYC *and* enjoying the Merritt Parkway (Rte. 15, one of the more scenic roads you will take).

The trick is to navigate your way to the Tappan Zee Bridge and then in a few miles after the bridge is the entrance to the Merritt Parkway. This road is one of my favorite roads in the country, and it also helps that there are lots of wealthy people driving really fast cars keeping the pace going quickly. Zooooom!

For some reason I hate Rte. 84 out near Danbury, it is just boring as hell.

I took the liberty of creating a Google Map from Lexington, KY using the various highways as a direct route. You are going through Pennsylvania, so I am sure there are places you may want to stop along the way.

Link:  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=38.043765,-84.432678&daddr=I-287+E%2FI-87+S+to:CT-15+N+to:concord,+ma&geocode=%3BFd2tcgIdLqKY-w%3BFVZscgIdFtWb-w%3BFXbkhwIdPEu_-ynZLnpZOJrjiTH1CsdHT1sPKA&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=9&via=1,2&sll=37.942031,-83.509827&sspn=1.479371,2.90863&ie=UTF8&ll=40.867834,-73.366699&spn=1.418575,2.90863&t=h&z=9
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

kentuckyjam

Wow, thanks guys!  On the personal tour, I'm sorry to say this is my first week off with the hubby in 4 years, so he is all mine!  I don't want to share. :)  I'm trying to plan out 2 days for Lex and Concord, one day in Boston.  I will check the map as soon as I get to work.

And yes, avoiding NYC is one goal of the trip.  O0

lupis42

Quote from: crak on June 29, 2010, 06:56:32 PM
Exactly!  Now I remember why 15 is so annoying.  It's what comes before/after. 

Going back a step, to get on 287 I'm always going up through jersey on the garden state parkway.  I don't know if you're planning on going through Jersey but you can also pick up 84 in NY/PA and skip Jersey if you'd like.

I don't know anything south or west of there.  :)

As a former NJ resident, I heartily recommend bypassing the state entirely.  **)

If you have to use the Garden State Pkwy to get to 287 (the Tappan Zee is the best way across the Hudson), have an EZ Pass, or something compatible.  It will save you half an hour of stopping at tollbooths.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

Lakevillian

If you have AAA they can make up a trip-tik for you avoiding the evil roads and give you lots of 'free' maps.

Try not to sight see in Boston while driving yourself, it is very hard to figure out where you are and where you are going.  Folks say that GPS gets them lost in Boston.  Get a local driver, or take one of the outrageously expensive duck boat tours, then you can ride in an amphibious vehicle real close to where PR eluded the deck watch on the Somerset on the Chaaalz river ( as we call it here).

Lakevillian
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God"

How to resist, that's the rub.......