News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Glen Helen, CA June 26-27, 2010 Female only Appleseed!

Started by SavageShootr, June 28, 2010, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageShootr

What a great weekend!

First off I'd like to thank all of the ladies who came out to be a part of the FIRST Female only Appleseed in California! Ladies you rock! I look foward to working with all of you again.

Secondly, I'd like to thank Larry, the range master, for taking great care of us. I won't go into detail here, but you know. What you did made all the difference to the ladies. Thank You.

I'd also like to thank Bruce, the range president. He came around a few times during the day to make sure we had everything we needed. He stayed for lunch and the Strikes of the match. Sunday Bruce came back for the stories of individual accomplishments by the men and women of April 19th, 1775. Not to get any rumors started or anything, but I think he was moved....

I'd like to thank the Instructors who came from far and near to be here on this very special weekend. It was such a great time getting to work with some of CA Best female instructors, as well as the best NV female instructor!! Thanks for coming over to give us a hand. You had much to offer and your help was appreciated. Then we had the added bonus of going out to dinner and staying in the hotel together. It was fun hanging out with all of you.

Thanks go out to Scavenger and BrassChucker for helping get the target line set up. Scavenger stayed to help get his and his wifes "recruits" to the line with their rifles and one thing led to another and he ended up staying the entire day. Thanks, your help was appreciated!

The "hits count" target showed much improvement over the two days with Jessica coming ohhhhh sooooooo close to clearing the final target Sunday. Keep up the great work Jessica.

More later after I dig out my notes.

Thanks again to all of you Instructors and shooters, for the best Appleseed weekend.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

apple pie

This was my first ever Appleseed event, and what an awesome weekend we had!  Thank you to all the wonderful ladies that instructed and were so helpful and kind. There is so much i could say about the experience, but for my first post in the forum I'll focus on the number one thing that I was impressed with first..and it was not my AQT score, ROFL!!!  The safety and professionalism of every single instructor was outstanding! I learned so much and made a good friend who was gracious enough that when we went to look at our redcoats and we found i had zero hits and she had 26..she replied... well we did good!  When my husband did hid first Appleseed a month earlier, day two getting up was tough, he was stiff and sore, and shall we say he was not amused at 5:30 by my shaking him and saying in an urgent tone...honey get up..the regulars are coming! Get your rifle.   5:30 am day two of my Appleseed, I said, honey the regulars are coming, I have to take my rifle and go... take care of the dog!  ;)  It was a great learning experience and while I didn't get all the skills down, I did get the most important one, safety.  The rest will come in time. I have a new respect and appreciation for the men and women who had the foresight and courage to do what they could for their families and all of posterity...this country that we are blessed by God to live in.  Thanks again all you wonderful ladies who taught us, and I forward to the next Appleseed.  Not only has this experience made me a better shot, it has made me a better American, apple pie 

SavageShootr

ApplePie,

Thank You for posting!! I know that some day you and I will work a shoot together. Me with my faded redhat and you with your bright shiny new orange or red one. I look forward to that day! You will certainly have more experiences with those ladies that you bonded with over the weekend. There were no Rifleman scores during the weekend but you have shown the heart of a Rifleman/Riflewoman.

Thank You so much for coming out and sharing in the experience of the first CA All female appleseed.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

Johnnyappleseed

ApplePie -- "The regulars are coming "   8)
Wonder if I will hear it from SS  ~~:)
Nice event ladies --- we did fine on our own  ^-^
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

A.Q.T. monster

Quote from: asminuteman on June 28, 2010, 10:07:50 PM
As my family carvan re-entered the state, and passed within sight of Glen Helen, I pointed out to my wife..
There's a Ladies "only" Appleseed going on there! :~
We should stop by and say hello.....she replied...that your not dressed in drag.. #)
You ladies were thought of....it looks as if all is ship shape, and in bristle fashion....

I'm sad you didn't com visit me ken :'(

I was wonderful working with such nice ladies, i met a lot of good people this weekend and had a blast.
I also learned some new stuff like even with a staple gun do you need an NPOA (not NOPA) i completely just ate it attempting to staple an AQT up and Romeo's hero and I decided i was just tyring to acquire my NPOA.
The history was awesome it kept me wanting more even though i herd the stories so many times.
And just to prove how tired i was from the weekend when i got home sunday night I dropped my stuff and went to bed without dinner (stupid i know but i couldn't muster up the energy to make dinner)
Thank you all for such a wonderful weekend
Congrats on being apart of history in the first all women shoot in CA
-A.Q.T monster

shoot like a girl... if you can
In a box

LayloPro

Well, say now!!
Sounds like all the ladies had a great weekend out in the shaded hills of Glen Helen....... O0 ;) ..:..

Down below, in Corona, the guys (and a few gals!!) were sweating it out in bare sunshine, and only a few E-Z-Ups to provide -any- shade!!

But you guys all did really well, & I am personally looking forward to trying to set up another "All Gal AS" event, as soon as practical...... O0

Just so you all know, if I'm not mistaken, you all also participated in yet -another- AppleSeed historical moment as well.......as far as I can tell, this was also the "1st" time any AS has been run concurrently, in the same county....and as our line in Corona was moved from it's "usual" Riverside County area, "up north" into the "San Bernardino County" portion, we had 2 shoots going in the same county....

I thought that was a pretty neat thing as well....... O0 O0 O0

Hadn't planned it that way, but you know how things come together for good...... 8) :cool2: 8)

All righty!! Is everyone ready to come back and do another one?? ^:)^ :~ ..:..

Let's do this as soon as we can, eh?? O0 @) O0

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

SavageShootr

Glen Helen range would like to dedicate one of the remaining four weekends that Appleseed is booked there this year to another All Female Appleseed.

I wanted to add that we missed Jenifer on Sunday. We know you had a shower to attend. Jenifer came out on Saturday, her wedding anniversary, to share in heritage and marksmanship with her friend Allison. We missed all the ladies that couldn't return due to other obligations. Lia had a graduation party (hers!) that she had to attend. We will meet another time on the trail. Thanks for coming out Saturday!

Allison gathered some frogs Sunday from the ever decreasing pond behind the target line. She has a pond and has adopted the frogs and given them a home.  O0

Old Glory!

SS and all,
I'll bet this was one fun Appleseed!  Students were certainly good hands with all the excellent instructors.  Wish I could have been at this California Ladyseed. 

Now, ya'll have family/friends/co-workers you're signing up for the next one, eh?

OG in WI
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

CSHR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MORE WOMEN ONLY SHOOTS......

if it hadn't been for Nora/Nemoe we/I never would have gotten off the starting line

I have learned never to be too proud to say   "I need help"   **)   **)    **)   ^:)^

and 'we' need more cross training  :wb:    :wall:

Glad you had a great time  :~ 

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

TrebleShooter

Ladyseed, huh?
I kinda like that term  ;D
I had a blast ladies, it was wonderful to meet new 'seeders and meet more instructor 'sisters!'
I must say that the history shared at this shoot was some of the most moving and insightful history that I've ever heard at an appleseed, and that it has inspired me to rethink my strike stories.
Even though we had no riflewomen procured from this shoot, all shooters showed awesome improvement in their group sizes and are well on their paths of persistence to get that patch. Jessica was soooo close, but I know another shoot is in her future and a patch (and hopefully a HAT) comes with it.  And I wish the same to all that showed up.
Thanks for being there and I hope our paths cross again gals!  :cool2:
~Ashley

gglovesguns

Quote from: Krisker on June 28, 2010, 10:24:05 PM
I'm jealous.  We need one of these in Upstate NY!! :D

I'm jealous too! How about one in northern Nevada?!?

SavageShootr

I have cleared it with our State Coordinator.

The last Appleseed on the schedule for Glen Helen in 2010 will be another Ladyseed.  ^:)^  Thanks, Old Glory!, for the term.  O0

Another opportunity to get out there and be amongst some women who know very well what they are about. I will look at the schedule and post the date here.

A.Q.T. monster

you made my day savage  ^:)^
Don't know if my dad will be to happy to lose me for the weekend again.
Can't wait to work with such wonderful ladies again.
P.S. asminuteman you should bring your girls, they'll have fun
In a box

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

LayloPro

Hmmm, a "post-turkey day LadySeed"....... O0 O0 O0

sounds like a great way for the family to show Mom (& sis's) how much they appreciate the work by having them go off for the weekend, not to some fancy spa, but rather to the nicely shaded & covered range of Glen Helen, over @ West End Gun Club.....

Seems like it'll work for me....I'll most likely be heading out to Illi to go kill ducks again for the winter.......

A dark & dirty job.....but somebody has to stock the fridge!! O0 :~ :))

Ladies, I believe it sounds like a date.......wha'd'ya say? :cool2: ;)

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

22calgal

As I sit at the keyboard, it's hard to come up with new adjectives to describe the all female Appleseed at WEGC.  I got to meet some FABULOUS instructors I'd only heard about, and I learned a BOATLOAD.  The shooters were wonderful, attentive, fun, dedicated, and they did some shootin'!  I have a sneaky feeling that some of them will return for our next Ladyseed in November, if not beforehand.

I was honored to be a part of Appleseed history, and I am looking forward to more all female shoots.  I'll be happy to go anywhere in the country to help with other all female shoots, just let me know. 

The junior range for the shoot was perfect.  The weather was a Godsend.  Life is good!

22calgal
Jackie Young, Proud to be American

SavageShootr

Quote from: gglovesguns on June 29, 2010, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: Krisker on June 28, 2010, 10:24:05 PM
I'm jealous.  We need one of these in Upstate NY!! :D

I'm jealous too! How about one in northern Nevada?!?

Come on down Ladies. We will be doing it again on November 27-28, 2010

SS

TrebleShooter

I think a ladyseed in N. Nevada would be possible eventually.  At the moment though, at least in S. Nev,  we're just trying to keep enrollment numbers growing.  We've seen some good numbers the past few months, and there were quite a few ladies at the Gardnerville shoot, I get a few in Boulder City every now and then...
But  a ladyseed in either northern or southern Nevada would be a great goal to shoot for. 

Jules

Now that I have slept for the last week, I can sit up to write my experiences of the All Women Shoot at Glen Helen. Ladies: I would drive another 10 hours to meet you again! We had a lot of fun. Good group of Instructors, and our trusty Shoot Boss. She didn't even have to give me a lot of "stink eye" either. I really tried to not talk. I really did. It was hard. Let it be known I NEVER ate Corn Nuts and blew in her face. Didn't happen. I was highly sensitive to her disdain of certain food odors, and ate them only when on opposite end of the line. We had flowers in a vase at Admin, and pink foamy ear plugs. We had flowers and a side bench in the porta potty ( yes I took a picture )   Very nice.

The range, once you successfully got through the Universal Studio-esque  Uber boulder pavement into the site, was lovely. The trees were clustered about the line, and there was a slowly shrinking pond to the left of the line. This provided entertainment during lag time, as there were a gazillion fatty ole tadpoles. There were bird nests hidden among the low hanging limbs. And yes. There was. A  Bass Pro Shop down the street (Route 66 ) We had dinner there, and it was scrumptious. Alas, not enough time or brain cells to brouse the store. They turned the lights down to let us know " you don't have to go home, but ya can't stay here".

The rooms were very nice. The luggage cart was directionally challenged.The 80's soundtrack playing on endlessly has to go. I mean really. Savage drives fast. She is intent and focused on her destination. I prayed that my Garmin would get me to where I needed to be. We chose the Crocodile Dundee voice who sounded only mildly annoyed when we forced him to "recalculate".

I met a lot of Instructors I had not had a chance to work with before. TrebleShooter was great for coming in from Nevada.We share a certain somewhat ' dry sense of humor'. Shout out to Nevada! Pippi has to be the cutest IIT under the planet. Very mellow. Thank you. I needed mellow. Liz and Justin ( Recruiter and Scavenger) I can't believe we were sitting at different tables at the CPRA Gala in February. We could have met then. Scavenger scavenges some very cool cast offs. He is now in possession of about 40 plastic forks from dinner Sunday night.  Maddie, my bouncing, jumping, enthusiast; when you bottle your energy source, I am first in line to buy it.

I over packed. Pffft. The water was free! And so was the Wi Fi.  22Gal baked us some rocking mini bundt cakes, and they disappeared fast. Jackie thank you for listening to me endlessly at dinner. It was good to share some good stories.

Loved working with the little girls, our " designated snipers". I think they had a good time, as they had never shot before, and had picked up their rifles the day before. I like looking at what folks choose to bring and shoot. Mostly .22's and one Tube fed. On Sunday we had a student bring a cool Henry screw together "the stock will float if rifle falls in water". It had issues, so we swapped a lot of our rifles around, and finally got the right LTR with the right lady.

I am proud to have been able to come down for California's all LadySeed at Glen Helen. I wish that I was not otherwise engaged in November, I will be twice as thankful this Thanksgiving for all the new opportunities presented to us at Appleseed.

And to the men behind the women last week, you missed us, didn't you?  No, seriously, thanks to LayLo for getting us hooked up with the WEGC. Good people. And they brought up the luxury suite porta potty. Big one. Clean. Thank you. Scavenger was much needed on Saturday. He was swift, silent, and efficient. Poor man. You did good.

To all of those I met last week: hope to see you on the Trail. For those of us who work often together: see ya in a few weeks.

love,

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Romeo's Hero

Hey All,

I was so happy that I was able to be part of this Ladyseed - what a special experience, and an incredible group of shooters. I think that the thing that I remember most is that every one of them was able to laugh, have fun, and even joke, when they were tired and struggling. This group bonded so well with each other and were so encouraging to one other.  O0 I am so glad that I was there to be a part of that.

I was so impressed with the perseverance of you women who were dealing with equipment issues, I hope we got most of them worked out; and, you will improve even further at your next Appleseed.

I look forward to working with each and every one of you again (shooters and instructors) - I will have to come to more Appleseeds in the S.Cali area- or you all can come up to the Central valley and see us up here.

Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

NewMOe

BBQ turkey for a Thanks giving It works for me,
add an Appleseed, even better,
Ken shaving his legs??  I'll help !! Although waxing would be more fun it could be a group project.
I look horrid in a dress but have done Santa and Mc Gruff  :-[

From the posts and the smiles in the pictures "LadySeed" was a success good job to all of you !!!

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

Glynda

Hello Ladies!

I had an AMAZING time at this shoot!

All of you who were there as instructors were incredible and really made an impression on me. I struggled some  :sos:, but got some great one-on-one help that improved things for me.   :--- I have talked NON-STOP about Appleseed since then and I can't wait to see you all again! I've been posting info, got 2 of my girlfriends to sign up with me and I've been telling everyone!

I'm going to the class in Corona in August. Woohoo!  :D How many of you will be there? And where can I find the pics you guys took of that weekend? I'd like to share those w/my friends as well.

Thank you SOOOOOO much for all you are and all that you do!  O0
ALIVE*FREE*HAPPY
SBCLP

SavageShootr

Glynda.

Glad to see you made it to the forum and got some of your issues worked out. Those are a great group of girls that were there.

We will also be back in Glen Helen for another female Appleseed Nov 27-28. We might need more instructors by then.  O0

I hope to see you on the trail.

SS

Romeo's Hero

Hey Glynda - we look forward to seeing you soon. I am definitely going to try to be at the next ladyseed in Nov and maybe I will even come and visit Corona in Aug (I'll have to check my schedule) I would love to see you again.

Not sure where all the pics are - but I know that some of them have shown up on facebook - So if you are on FB look me up and I will point you in the right direction.

-Juliette
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

NewMOe

Madison asked me to post these for her so here we go....
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

NewMOe

A few More !!

NewMOe

last batch

A.Q.T. monster

Thanks Keith, apparently i was to ambitious trying to get them all on at once :)

I am also on facebook so you can look me up i have about 75 more on facebook so you can check them out.

-Madison McCracken
In a box

NewMOe

Hey Maddy !!! the max allowed is less than the original size. I just reduced the size and they took just fine. No Problem !!