News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reversed and Remanded

Started by Ewald, June 28, 2010, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ewald

Well now it is official. In McDonald v Chicago the Supreme court has overturned Chicago's handgun ban.

A few months ago I heard Fred say he didn't want to fill the 9/11 300 shoot with "bums off Michigan Avenue." I didn't say anything, but I disagree. Then again when I think of bums on Michigan avenue I have a different image. I do not think of unwashed panders. I think of prime and proper shoppers, tourists, and commodity traders walking blindly though life while our nation needs their help.

Yet for the downsides of our state we do have a fine core of Americans. Some of whom are amongst us here. Where it not for them, today would not have happened. When I think of all those people walking down the Magnificent Mile of Michigan Avenue right now, I see in my mind thousands of Americans who need Appleseed.

In many ways when we promote, we preach to the choir. Yet today should teach us there is opportunity and need where we least expect it.

Fred

Quote from: Ewald on June 28, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
A few months ago I heard Fred say he didn't want to fill the 9/11 300 shoot with "bums off Michigan Avenue."

Huh? What did I say, now? Or, what am I alleged to have said, now?

Not to appear contradictory, but I don't recall ever dissing anyone who might want to come to an Appleseed. The welcome mat is out to all.

Say, was this the night we all had a little to much to drink? :)

PS: Having lived a considerable time in Chicago, I have mostly fond memories of that most formative learning experience - it helped make me the great guy I am today... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Gumballhead

Shooter30-06

This is a welcome decision but we will have to see the fine print to see what restrictions this decision will allow.  Having taught Constitutional Law I can also tell you that I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the decision was 5-4.  The history of the Supreme Court is replete with case reversals because of changes in the sitting justices.  All this legal gloom and despair aside, this is one to celebrate!
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

TanBoonie

I'm reading the full decision now. So far they are being very explicit that *all* the amendments apply to the states. Owning a gun to defend your house, person, and property is a fundamental right, and as handguns are by far the weapon of choice for personal protection banning them is contrary to core of 2nd amendment. I'm waiting for the "but" though it sounds good so far.

Reveille

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on June 28, 2010, 01:18:10 PM
This is a welcome decision but we will have to see the fine print to see what restrictions this decision will allow.  Having taught Constitutional Law I can also tell you that I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the decision was 5-4.  The history of the Supreme Court is replete with case reversals because of changes in the sitting justices.  All this legal gloom and despair aside, this is one to celebrate!
I am with you, celebration seems to be in order ..:.........BUT, 5-4 is disturbing. ???  This means that 4 members basically overturned the 2nd amendment.  #) This is the only downside to the ruling.  Can't wait to see Daley ranting at 1:00 pm today. !@#) :D
Just my 2 cents. 
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Gopher Boy

This is just another example of if you put 9 lawyer in a room 4 of them can't read very simple english.

G.B.

dragonfly

Quote from: Fred on June 28, 2010, 11:34:43 AM
Quote from: Ewald on June 28, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
A few months ago I heard Fred say he didn't want to fill the 9/11 300 shoot with "bums off Michigan Avenue."

Huh? What did I say, now? Or, what am I alleged to have said, now?

Not to appear contradictory, but I don't recall ever dissing anyone who might want to come to an Appleseed. The welcome mat is out to all.

Say, was this the night we all had a little to much to drink? :)

PS: Having lived a considerable time in Chicago, I have mostly fond memories of that most formative learning experience - it helped make me the great guy I am today... :)

To much to drink :o why wasn't I invited :( .
Doesn't sound like anything Fred would say. Willingness to learn and a teachable attitude. All American's, even if we got to to it one bum at a time. Appleseed is for all.
I would even welcome Elton John as my guest to an Appleseed  %) .

dragonfly  @)  Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

slim

That "too much to drink" was at a "non-AS" event, right?

Wasn't the Heller decision also 5-4? Now we have two justices appointed by our current Pres and it's likely there'll be a third. I'm guessing any and all of these decisions are going to be close like this. I don't think we should read too much into it, just press on with our mission.

Get the "bums" to the non-alcoholic events. All bums, all events. And then we can celebrate!

Scarecrow

"I would even welcome Elton John as my guest to an Appleseed "
I love it! **) **) **)

FiremanBill

Quote from: Shooter30-06 on June 28, 2010, 01:18:10 PM

Congrats, Chicago, and Illinois, and USA!    O0

Justice is served.  Don't forget, we have to keep fighting the "soft war" if we want to get our nation back on track.  Find some way to get involved!      &)    ~~:)

Yes, TOO MANY 5-4 decisions these days.  I pray for the health and well-being of the majority members in SCOTUS.     @)

FB.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

mtbrass

Got through the first 50 pages yesterday only 164 more to go. I happen to have gone to law school so I will read the whole thing but as far a I did go the decision is a good one for Second Amendment rights but yes it leaves room for regulation. Problem is that the type of regulation will be fought out a battle at a time I am sure.  Thse court did give some guidance in the Heller case and restated it in this case. So we will see.