News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pecos Texas Run N Gun

Started by alonso1, June 25, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alonso1

The 9th annual Pecos Run N Gun will be August 14, 2010.

This is a great place to test your equipment and yourself (trust me, the 3rd step to firing the shot takes on a whole new meaning out here ;D)

This run is cross country, approximately 6 miles with 4 shooting stations, to include some pistol work this year ^:)^

Targets will be 12" x 18" steels and the distance will vary from 100 yards to 400 yards.

Also, this Run is only as difficult as you make it.  You can run or walk the course alone or with someone.

I hope to see plenty of gray Appleseed T-shirts at this event.

So far, I believe Scout, Voortrekker, SNAITF, K98AL ( Oklahoma feller) and myself are going.  Let's get organized and saturated the place with Appleseed!

spmcpeek

I'm hoping to be able to attend.

SamD

???  My daddy gave me a rifle so I wouldn't have to run away

zonkertx

I have been seriously considering this, and will likely go.  Wife thinks I'm nuts, and is probably right.

I'll be pretty lame in the speed department, as I have been curling Newcastles instead of running around in my ALICE gear.  :(

Texas Rifleman

Location again? How far, close to what town/city, etc..
Thanks
Dave
PS Sounds fun
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

dragit

I am in.  All it took was resetting the mouse traps for the wife.  What kind of cheese would you like Sir Mouse.:bow:
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Aromatic

I am in.  If anyone wants to carpool, let me know.  Do we need to pre-register anywhere?  Google only turned up a post on another forum.

I plan to leave on Thursday afternoon/Friday morning, and get back Sunday evening.

Is camping available?

voortrekker

Pecos Texas Run N Gun rules, directions and other information attached as a .pdf
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Aromatic

Thanks Brett.  It looks like alonso1 is famous... he made the first page of the flyer in an AS shirt and RH.

alonso1

TR, Pecos is close to El Paso  ;D

Aromatic, SNAITF will contact you about carpooling.  There was camping at the last range, I'll make contact with the Pecos folks and find out for sure. Every year I get a hotel, it's the desert man, there could be snakes!

If anyone wants to get a room, book it soon.  Every year there are some car races in the area and the hotels get full.  I usually stay at the Laura Lodge (432) 445-4924.  However, they were building some new hotels last time I was there so you might want to shop around for prices.

Mark

Texas Rifleman

Mark and snakes..haha
Ok are we going to instruct/RO this event or are we going to participate in the event ??
Looks like it would be a blast.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

voortrekker

Quote from: Texas Rifleman on July 02, 2010, 02:24:14 PM
Mark and snakes..haha
Ok are we going to instruct/RO this event or are we going to participate in the event ??
Looks like it would be a blast.

TXRifleman,

It is not a AS event, but the gentlemen running this shoot supports AS.

If you want to be a Range Officer contact Smokey Briggs(see pdf attachment for contact details).

There will be no instruction on riflery.  Those that attend are expected to know riflery.

It'll be a good event to see fellow AS instructors and shooters and to learn, by observing, from other's attending : i.e.,  gear, set ups, shooting styles in the field etc.

Folks that attend can take the event as serious as they want if they want to win.

Personally, I will be walking the shoot, instead of running, BUT I aim to shoot well; however.

Brett out.

POP

I will be Range Officer for one of the shoot stops.
The ROs will have an opportunity to run or walk the range on Friday.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Stimey

Boys,

This sounds like such a good time that I'm making plans to attend myself.  Kind of a long haul from the East Coast, but sure does tempt me.  If all goes well, I'll be in town Friday night before the shoot.  Anyone for a pre-deployment meeting/meal?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

alonso1

Stimey

I hope you can make it.  It would be good to see you again.

POP

Stimey,
I second Mark's comments.
Yeah, I'll be in town ready to break bread with ya.
Any chance your Dad might come.  Haven't seen him since College Station March '09.  You either for that matter. 
Wow, what a hoot!   ^:)^

Are ya'll driving or flying in to Pecos International Airport?   **)

POP
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Stimey

If I come down I'll be driving from Western Oklahoma, from my folks' place.  Working on Dad, he might come down too.  I even offered to lend him an M1!  We'll see!
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

NeilR

That sure sounds like fun. I was just saying to my family last night that I would love to do a running biathlon.  However, I have almost no vacation days left this year, so traveling to TX for this one is out of the question.  If anyone knows of one closer to NC, please post.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

alonso1

I went to the range yesterday with the Garand I'm going to run with.  I tried my reloads and surplus HXP from the CMP.

1st, The HXP is holding a better group than my reloads, boy that kinda of stings, but it's best to find that out now instead of in August when I'm 3 miles into the race.

2nd, That Garand is heavy!  and even with match sights, those 12" x 18" targets are hard to hit.  I have to say, in the past I have ran this race with a lightweight AR-15 and an ACOG and getting hits on target was not so bad with an AR and glass.

Yep, this is gonna be fun ;D

CaptG

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

voortrekker

Don't get so caught up with the snakes for goodness sakes!   ;)

Where the shoot will take place the ground will likely be caliche(very white gravel).  Snakes will hopefully be very identifyable on your path.

Regarding the lying on your side shooting station with a rifle, whose got advice on shooting laying on the ground on your weak side shooting possibly at 300-400yd targets?

Brett out.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: voortrekker on July 12, 2010, 02:23:25 AM

Don't get so caught up with the snakes for goodness sakes!   ;)

Where the shoot will take place the ground will likely be caliche(very white gravel).  Snakes will hopefully be very identifyable on your path.

Regarding the lying on your side shooting station with a rifle, whose got advice on shooting laying on the ground on your weak side shooting possibly at 300-400yd targets?

Brett out.

For that stage last year I was supine (on my back) instead of prone, as it gave me a better sight picture when the muzzle was between the railroad ties. I shortened the legnth of my collapsible stock and the rifle was against my chest. It worked for me. :)

ETA: It wasn't at 300-400 years for that stage last year. It was much closer.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

LabRat

That stage is 200 yards. it says 20 yards in the flyer, but I talked to Smokey Briggs and he confirmed it was a typo, so...200. Should be a piece of cake within the BSZ of either the AR, M1 or M14 type platform...just remember, your elevation turns to windage if you're shooting on your side!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

alonso1

The Laura Lodge, a Knights Inn Hotel has rooms for NRA members costing $59 and change.  If you are a NRA member go to the website and call to make your reservations.

Scout

Quote from: Stimey on July 09, 2010, 06:33:10 PM
Boys,
This sounds like such a good time that I'm making plans to attend myself.  Kind of a long haul from the East Coast, but sure does tempt me.  If all goes well, I'll be in town Friday night before the shoot.  Anyone for a pre-deployment meeting/meal?

It will be really good to see you Stimey. I have missed you Brother.

QuoteETA: It wasn't at 300-400 years for that stage last year...

I thought five minutes for stage four was excessive..... ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Grunt Medic

I'm happy to share the Colonel signed off on me taking a pass for the match, my lady brought me my favorite pistol and the most critical pieces of my gear, and a brother Appleseeder is loaning me a rifle - life is good, and I'll see you on the line!

voortrekker

It looks like the Pecos Run and Gun in the Sun event will see 12 to 13 TX AS Instructors at this biathalon course, thus far.

Many of whom will be the event's RSO's.

I am looking forward to your company Gentlemen.

In addition, I look forward to meeting the attendees from around our Republic that will be attending.

This is a really good opportunity to see, first hand, the gear, of those that attend, what works, what does not.

I will be bringing the still camera and a video camera to mark the event.

To all that will be attending this event, please consider wearing your Appleseed shirt during the course.

In addition, RWVA Instructors, consider wearing your Instructor hats as well, red or orange, doesn't matter, bring'em, wear'em.

Brett out.

RainmanJS

I realize I am jumping into this a little late, but I am going to try to attend.  I'll be headed there from San Angelo, anyone looking to share a room or ride still?  I so, please PM me if you are interested.  By the way, never done this before, gear suggestions?  If you walk the course, how long does it normally take?(trying to figure out how much water to carry)

Thanks,
RainmanJS
No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to persevere to the end in their nature and education.  -Plato