News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indiana Stops in the Great Appleseed Nationwide Winter Tour?

Started by techres, June 24, 2010, 01:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Fellow Hoosiers,

During the winter time we normally let our Appleseeding go a bit dormant.  We never stop completely of course (ala CLoverdale), but we do slack off.  Weather, holidays, snow and sleet all play a part of course, but it comes at a price.  We get rusty, we lose valuable time and momentum, and we drift off onto other things.

Luckily, Fred's a thinking kind of guy and has discussed a Great Appleseed Nationwide Winter Tour!  Futhermore several stops were made last winter if you look at this thread:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12039.0

Now, Indiana joined the discussion this spring but it went on the backburner for April 17-18.  However we are now 6 months from Winter and we need to secure ranges NOW if we plan to use them in December-March.

What would this event be like?  I made up a first draft of a flyer that Fred said was not as cheery as he wanted (I will rework it, I promise), but here is how I imagined it:

COLD FUN + BRAGGING RIGHTS = WIN!

In any event, we need to be thinking about and securing ranges for the winter time here in Indiana.  Cloverdale, Riley, and Evansville all come to mind as outdoor ranges.  But what about indoor ones?  All we need is 90 feet and it can go .22lr only.  So try and think outside of the box here. 

Our ancestors never let the weather get in their way, and they did not have gortex.  So surely we can make this happen here in Indiana!

Put your cold weather thinking caps on guys and let me know what you come up with.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

ATM

Quote from: techres on June 24, 2010, 03:01:37 PM
Wow, talk about timing.  National is looking for ideas & help too:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14604.msg121611;topicseen#msg121611

No access to that board.  :'(

However, I do loves me some cold weather. Snowing outdoor minis have been great!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Bill of Rights

Quote from: ATM on June 24, 2010, 03:54:21 PM

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14604.msg121611;topicseen#msg121611

However, I do loves me some cold weather. Snowing outdoor minis have been great!

Likewise, no access. I don't love cold weather like ATM does, but that's never kept me away from a 'seed.

BoR
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

techres

OK, will either post here or get you access.  But first, what do you think about turning those cold mini's into cold full seeds?

Techres

Quote from: ATM on June 24, 2010, 03:54:21 PM

ATM

I'm up for it. Of course, planning them too far ahead will result in some of them falling on nice mild weekends by accident.  :))
Never can predict that Indiana weather.

Quote from: techres on June 24, 2010, 08:48:08 PM
OK, will either post here or get you access.  But first, what do you think about turning those cold mini's into cold full seeds?

Techres

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

DaveD

Think can easily get a January or February weekend at Cloverdale.  If you want snow then I think February is the month.

mmmmmm, sitting around the campfire, cold southwest wind whipping snow around us while we're eating ............. bacon!
Is it February yet?

DD
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Bill of Rights

I can chip in on some visqueen or even some plywood and paint for the shelter...
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams