News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Osage Beach, Mo. June 19-20

Started by Longshot, June 24, 2010, 12:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot

Hot!!!!   HOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!  92 degree heat and 95% humidity.

25 shooters, 2 Riflemen.  Instructors used the five pop-up canopies to cover the line, keeping the shooters shaded while they roasted.  Thunderstorm Sat. afternoon wrecked one canopy, cooled things a bit. Sunday was hades. Worse.
Shooters did well, instructors commenting on what a superb group this was.

During lunch and History Sunday, this shoot boss saw the look in the faces of the shooters, and knew the end was near. By 1:00 pm we lost six, by 2:00 pm twelve, and by 3:oo pm we were down to 4 or 5.  One shooter left, saying,"I'm losing focus, and I don't want to do anything unsafe." No argument was given.

Many will be back, in cooler times.

KR
Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

mtbrass

Ok, probably shouldn't post here but I was in MO that weekend staying in Osage Beach, I told my wife and kids that I wanted to go see if I could find the range while I was down there in case I can get there when you are having a shoot as I am from Central Illinois.  I thought there was a shoot the weekend of the 26th of June so you can imagine my suprise when we did drive out to find the range and I saw the RWVA sign and kept going until I saw the shoot going on we watched from the road for a few minutes you were finishing up on Saturday because it was late there was a red coat target up. My wife wondered how me and the boys could tell all that stuff. Told her she would have to go with us sometime.  And yes it was very hot and we were needing to get back to town and you were still shooting so we didn't get to say hello but now I know where it is if I can find a time to get there.  O0

nemohunter

Rifleman on the first day.

First strike being told by mikaldulee.

shooters over at the KD range.

PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Mathias

The Osage Beach event was my first Appleseed.  I signed up for two days but was only able to stay one.  The instruction was good and well worth the money and time, and I was impressed with all the shooters.  The atmosphere at this Appleseed was really positive and upbeat.  I didn't shoot well but I learned a lot and will do better the next time.  On the shooting line, I was positioned next to a person.  I believe his name was Paul. Paul is a big fellow and he had some difficulty getting up and down into different shooting positions.  Paul and I talked during the event Saturday, and being positioned next to him, I could observe him.  As the day progressed, I watched Paul struggle.  Like the rest of us, he was sweating and laboring the the intense heat.  But Paul stuck it out.  Towards the end of the day, the instructors allowed us to do one shoot from any position we desired.  It was hot and everyone was pretty well spent, but still there, at my side was Paul.  He could no longer get down into a prone position like most of us, but he wasn't about to give up.  I glanced up to see him raise his rifle into a standing position and with sling wrapped around a slightly shaky arm start firing away.  It was that moment that made me grateful to be a part of this event.  And I am grateful to the instructors and I learned a lot from them, but my biggest lesson came from Paul.  On Saturday, June 20, I saw real determination.  Against great handicap, I saw a man persevere and overcome.   Thanks for the Lesson Paul.  Best, Mathias.       

Ratchett

Mathias, thank you so much for sharing this memory from Osage Beach. It truly says the heart of the American Rifleman is alive and well. The history of our founding fathers for this country give us no choice but to persist, persevere, and preserve those rights bestowed on this great nation.

Congratulations to the Osage crew for another successful shoot. Hope to see you in October.

Stay strong and keep the Faith!
In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Gramma Goats

Hey KR,

I feel much better now that you posted the after action report  ;D

Who ever took the pics did a great job.

Paulette
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

nemohunter

thanks for the compliment on the pics Paulette. i will see you in July and hopefully get some pics of your place maybe that will help Build attendance.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

EEL

Ahhhhh  The sights of Osage Beach   8)  Looks like you guys had things well in hand.  Canopies and everything!  O0    Nice to hear such accounts of persistance and perseverence. 

Glad to have Missouri to our south.  I feel a bit more free and a tad safer already  :bow: 

Way to go MO crew!!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Gramma Goats

I will look fwd to mtg you.  It has been discouraging on the attendance issue. :wb:  I hate it for the instructors.  They travel a long way for a scant line.  I am not sure what else to do .... i have flyers out  and posted and i talk to EVERYONE that comes within ten feet of me. No one escapes the mention of Appleses; ed. Even have gotten some 'press' in the local newspapers.  Honestly i did not think it would be this tough.  I LOVE Appleseed, can't figure out why everyone doesn't  :)

paulette

Quote from: nemohunter on June 27, 2010, 07:31:31 AM
thanks for the compliment on the pics Paulette. i will see you in July and hopefully get some pics of your place maybe that will help Build attendance.
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Fred

GG, MO is not the only place with this problem.

Others are struggling with the same thing. You might check out http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14645.msg122079#new and see if there's any ideas there for you.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...