News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed plug in the Albany Times Union

Started by Another D.O.M., June 17, 2010, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

I was able to get in a plug for Appleseed in the Albany Times Union while responding to a mom who wanted advice on how to handle her 15 y.o. son's interest in guns (see comment #39).
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

desertrat144

Well said and done!  O0 O0 O0

A number of the other comments ease my mind a bit about the impending move to Upstate NY; the other comments give context to the anti-Albany feelings encountered there.

Outstanding job!

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

nyrasgt

Second recent piece of positive AS press, the other being the recent article in the Glens Falls Post Star by the young woman reporter who attended the Dunham's Bay AS in May (and who was also neighbor of the DB club president, Sean Garvey).
  Submit that specifically inviting members of local press to Appleseeds should be made standard procedure, at least at NY Appleseeds; also members of local scout groups, 4H, Reserve units, law enforcement, vol firemen, national park rangers, like Chief Ranger Greg Wozniak of the Saratoga National Battlefield Park (where Burgoyne surrendered) and anyone else I've forgotten...
  Shoot participants should also be encouraged (7th step) to bring word back to their clubs and other groups, just as Imker's bees do that pollinating...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

desertrat144

Great ideas all.  Most the individuals you mention inviting are already 'guests' at Appleseeds.  LEOs, &c. status seem to vary regionally.  Press as guests- YES, getting them to shoot- a good idea, but depends on local corporate culture as it could be a ticket to the unemployment line, or  the resulting footage turned into Fluff Piece.  The reporter and camera operator's intentions are good & honorable, but the guy who signs their pay checks wants a different edit on what was shot.  It's been done here several times (non-AS), the results were embarrassing.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan