News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Starke, FL June 12,13, 2010

Started by willorith, June 15, 2010, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willorith

After Action Report
Bradford Sportsmen's Farm
Starke Florida
June 12, 13, 2010

ShootBoss: Willorith (Brian)
Asst ShootBoss:  BrownBess (Paul)
Aux RedHat: Thaifighter (Wiley)
IIT: Douglas6.02*10^23, Clinnon

Shoot Boss done fell out! Not quite, but close. Oh man, was it ever hot! Some of you may remember Clewiston. Clewiston has nothing on Bradford in the heat department.

Deepest appreciation to BrownBess for stepping in and running the show when I felt the effects of heat closing in on my last two functioning neurons. I had to sit with Woody T. in the A/C of my truck for an hour or so late Saturday afternoon. That little fellow sure is good company.

But for the weather, it is always a delight to visit Bradford Sportsmen's Farm in Graham, Florida. This event was no different. BrownBess and I arrived before 7:00 and commenced directly with setting up the target line and nailing down the shooting line tarps. By 7:00, we were "wet to our middles" from both ends, perfectly drenched in our own sweat. A few months ago we marveled at the ice crusting the flooded marsh at this range, this day we endeavored to persevere through actual temperature very close to 100 and heat index well into 3 figures. Thaifighter made a run at midday for more ice and Gatorade.

The management at the Farm has made significant improvements to their long range. The 600 yard range is now 851 yards to the base of the berm. The "hump" that was at the 300 yard mark has been completely removed. Shooters can now fire from the prone position all the way to 849 yards. Still under construction was the beautiful concrete competition benchrest platform equipped with 15 shooter stations.

Fifteen shooters were registered in advance and all of them showed up. I think that is a first. There were no walk ons. On the old 600 yard range, fifteen shooters was our limit.. The remodeled range will now probably handle 25 shooters. We will have to up grade that in our Range data.

I was looking forward to meeting Stan Lee, one of our registered attendees, and the originator of Spiderman. He turned out to be much younger than I would have thought him to be. He graciously offered to sign my Spiderman comics for a small fee. Maybe there is more than one Stan Lee.

Two of our shooters are subjects of the British Crown. It is delightful to see our brothers and sisters cast off the chains of slavery and help save the last reservoir of freedom in the world.

A JAG Officer of the United States Army was in attendance. I would not have taken him for a lawyer. Still flickering within him was the hint of a personality. I salute you, sir, and thank you for your service to our country. Our offer of Appleseed instruction for your entire unit stands. We can do it on a civilian range or on base. What ever would be convenient for you. 

As is the norm for Florida, Woody Treadnaught was there, unobtrusively snapping pictures from his unusual low angle. He has certainly made the most of his small stature. I have never seen him without a smile on his face. He always seems to have just remembered a humorous anecdote. He is the only one of us that found the heat to be comfortable. His amiable personality helped all of us make it through. Old Woody is certainly an asset to the Florida program.

Fifteen patriots heard me deliver the first strike. With the description of Lechmere point as "a wonderful place to gather clams on a Summer's afternoon but, an awful place to make an amphibious landing on a cold spring night" brought back by popular demand.

BrownBess Bossed the line Saturday morning, I like to use him to start out so that the shooters become compliant to the lineboss. When an IIT takes over in the PM, the shooters are well familiar with what is required of them. He is also useful during the AQT grind. He drives them like a rented mule without leaving tell tale marks.

No Riflemen were revealed on Saturday. However, two were achingly close, and every one toughed out a brutally hot Florida afternoon.

Nine shooters returned Sunday morning. The forecast was for much cooler temps this day, barely exceeding 95F. We worked our way through the reviews in the morning, inserting a new command after unload and clear, DRINK WATER! Two 5 gallon water jugs were refilled twice during the day. Everybody maintained hydration. Shoot Boss didn't get the whirlies.

Four AQTs were behind us at 2:30 when Thaifighter undertook the long range portion of Appleseed instruction. At this facility, all of the shooters go to Known Distance (KD) because the shooting line must be moved back to increase the range. ThaiFighter is an exceptionally fine instructor for KD. Going to KD allows the shooters to see their groups enlarge in inches while they stay the same MOA. It adds a little mortar to the bricks of knowledge we have given them.

No Rifleman badges were awarded this weekend. Directly from the Appleseed book of excuses, we will select #243, Holy smokes was it ever hot! Wait a minute, there ain't no dad gum Appleseed book of excuses. Riflemen don't make excuses, Riflemen make hits.

Another Appleseed in the books, another payment against the debt we owe to Captain Isaac Davis, Doctor Abel Prescott, and the other patriots that wrested freedom from the Crown, and passed on that precious gift to us.

We are but human.

ItsanSKS

849 yards!  849 yards?!  Oh man...  And I missed it?!

Glad to hear everyone made it through the heat alright, even if some slacker decided to go into the A/C for a while..  (Just kiddin ya Willorith, if this event was hotter than Clewiston, I really feel for ya'll)

I knew it was going to be a hot one, but I don't think anyone expected a triple digit heat index!

Look forward to seeing the picture that Woody took, and hearing from the students how *they* thought the event went. 

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

nyrasgt

Hot?
   Generally, one person feeling the effects of heat suggest everyone start checking each other...domino theory and all...increased vigilance and awareness...hydration and shade vs. heat stroke, etc...
   I know there are AS folks working on a codified procedure for dealing with, shooting during, and simply determining, indeed, whether the heat index makes shooting too hazardous (as is done with, e.g. sports practices) for participants...as well as instructors.  Imagine sooner rather than later  to be applied to venues involving cactii, gila monsters, alligators, and slow(-er) moving senior citizens, which I too am rapidly becoming...
Excelsior,
madMark
emt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

BrownBess

Well Appleseeders:

This is the Hottest event I have been to.....and I did one here in August last year, good thing we were in Florida Gator Country, just a few miles from University of Florida...we were able to stock up on Gatorade real cheap...... but here are some Pictures to get you going, thanks to all the attendees, 15 and 5 instructors who really toughed it out, good thing we had vehicles with AC too......too have had just one cloud in the sky would have be grrrreat......

BrownBess

WoodyTreadnaught

Just got my photos back from Walgreens, hope they post ok, Boy, that Willorth and gang really take the punishment, the heat was even heavy for my cold blooded nature and I stayed in the shade of the pickup truck most of the event.....got a good tan though......my wife says I should get out in the sun more often, gives me that George Hamilton look.....looking forward to the Gainesville event, don't think I will swing trwo in a weekend, so Rick, looks like I will not be down your way, sorry....till later,

WoodyTreadnaught

scottja

Despite the kind words from Willoreth, I can assure you all that I have no personality. Upon successful completion of the Florida Bar Exam, we sign it away in exchange for our Bar Card. The Army does not exactly build it back up either.

What an awesome, educational, humbling experience my first Appleseed was! I expected great things and great things were made available to me. Every instructor was top notch and showed the patience of a saint with each and every one of us. From their detailed explanations and demonstrations to their willingness to sweat like a Drill Sargent in church, we were blessed by a group of motivated and educated patriots, set upon us to reveal our inner riflemen and strengthen our love and dedication to American tradition. As a comparison to the US Army's current marksmanship program, I consistently score 1 target below Expert (Rifleman). I did not come close to that goal this weekend. The standards at Appleseed are breeding better marksman than the US Army. The US Army could learn much from Appleseed.

I wish the weather had been more compliant. I hydrated with over 1.5 gallons of water each day and only dehydrated at the port-o-let once. In spite of the heat and the lack of skill myself and others showed up with, each instructor gave us their all.

As for the venue, it was excellent. I am likely to return to Bradford to use the range we were on even in the absence of an Appleseed.

Brian, I am working on those in leadership to make this happen. I will contact you privately to get more information later this week. I am jammed up with Courts Martial and Administrative Separations this week and am being made to pay for my four day pass with my workload.

Thank you again to Willorith, BrownBess, Thaifighter, Douglas, and Clinnon. Your service to this great country is as important as mine...perhaps more so. Thank you also to Project Appleseed for recognizing that a country of free men must be founded upon and forever kept watch over by those men. Riflemen, not the US Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps are the rough men and women, who stand ready to do whatever is necessary on behalf of a great nation.

StillAlive

Anyone who completed the first day should be commended for their perseverence. Anyone who completed the second day should be examined by a mental health professional, and probably medicated for their own protection.

It was that hot...

The sheer amount of knowledge passed, in the breif period of time was already difficult to assimilate, with the heat near impossible.

On the second day some portable awnings were assembled which provided some relief, however when we attempted to stack all our shooters close together to take advantage of the shade it resulted in quite a few people taking a hot brass shower....

Instruction was excellent as I learned the first time I shot in idpa pistol shooting and other sports the first thing you have to learn is exactly how much you do not know..

I will be returning after many hours of dry fire practice in the fall when temperatures return to a level not requiring Prozac to perform.

Please remove any references to Spiderman in the pictures above , trademark infringent is serious business....

I invite all of the survivors of the Starke fl appleseed to pm me their contact info. Let's keep in touch!