News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Indiana KD Day 2010 (with Pics!)

Started by techres, June 14, 2010, 11:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

What a great day!

Weather - Hot, but clear!
Attendance - Superb!
Campfire the night before - Perfect for Planning 2010.5!
Camaraderie - Awesome!  Especially when the teacher is being told he messed up on X, Y, or Z!  [You guys are the best, especially Bill 3!]
Shooting - Clang, Clang, Clang! 
Fun - It was throughly achieved.

Alright here are pics from the event.  First, a line of hats with rifles doing our ancestors proud:

Mudcat ran a tight line while we got all of our rifles zero'ed.  Rifles ranged from old to new:

Once Zero'ed we moved on to KD instruction itself.  We split the KD into three types: traditional full distance KD, 100-200 yard Centerfire KD, and 100 yard rimfire (.22lr) KD.

Then it was time to blast some targets!

Over at the full distance bay we went out to range and did some D's as well as steel:

Rifles were shared, ammo poured through and food swapped.  It was a brutally hot day and we had some heat problems but made it through in the end. 

All in all it was a great time.  Even the $50 steel target project was a success (I will post more about that later).

Thanks to everyone who came.  Thanks to our newest orange hats (two, count them, TWO!).  Thanks to Redbrush for hosting the event.  Thanks Sur+ and Mudcat who made this happen on the ground.  And thanks to all who travelled from far and near to spend a great day together.

We will have to make this an annual event in Indiana,
Techres

P.S. Sur+, it is your fault that I have to get an SKS now.  Just look at what you did...

P.P.S. The only problem we had was with some red hats who decided to shoot chains rather than the 200 yard steel plate!  "You have some splainin to do Lucy!"

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

yellowhousejake

Here they are, hot of the disk...

What makes a woman smile, now and then...

Posting targets

Shooters! Prepare two mags with five rounds each!

Instructors sighting them in, doing what we teach.

Making them safe, doing what we PREACH!

The line is clear, the line is clear.

Biogranny takes the hat from Mutcat. The Harris family is becoming a self contained bailing unit.

Time for the 100 yard steel.

Perfect form, and the steel paid for it.

KD day was not just for fun, when the instructors were not shooting, they were listening and taking notes.

Moving to the KD range, targets for a full AQT are up and ready.

West, saddles up for standing at 100 yds.

Stage 2, elbows forward of the knees.

Stage 4, all the time in the world...

Time to hit the KD steel!

96 years old and still hitting steel. DOR (Dangerous Old Rifle)

Current issue.  "PING! Yes Virginia, the AR platform is accurate beyond 25 yards."

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Quote from: yellowhousejake on June 15, 2010, 11:02:27 AM
New pictures coming as soon as I finish burning Garand DVDs, Niecie and I are sharing a Mac at the moment. We got some great instructor photos.

YHJ

Awesome!  I have some great videos too, especially that lady in the blue RWVA hat with the Garand rifle...

Trying to work out secured storage for them so we can try and avoid youtube until we have something finished for distribution.

TBE

Great shooting with you folks!   I really enjoyed meeting the people I hadn't yet met and seeing again the people that I had been fortunate enough to already met.  Everyone was very kind, safe, knowledgeable and helpful.  I learned a bunch and am chomping at the bit to put it into practice.  

My only issue is that pic of me holding the steel for Techres while he's talking to the camera.  I would have bet that you couldn't have found a pic of me not smiling as I had, without exception, a great time.  I must have been concentrating extra hard on Techres's presentation.  

Regardless, thanks to everyone for helping me along this weekend, especially West for hauling me down and back and Mudcat (I look forward to doing a little border raiding in to Kentucky in the near future) and Surplus for getting us into such nice facilities.  You guys really are top notch and I am proud to be associated with you all.  

Thanks again,
Rich

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

kentuckyjam

Rich, come on down south, we'd be thrilled to have you.  :))  Especially for KC June 26-27.

First time shooting KD, pretty cool.  And I got over the centerfire jolt.  Yes, it's a small jolt to most, but bigger to me.  GREAT camping facility!  Thanks, everyone.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Niecie

I just want to say thank you for the invitation. I had such a wonderful time! It was great meeting new folks and getting to see others again.

Sitting in the deck chair, I had no hope. Picking up a bucket, I found a whole lot of other great Americans willing to bail, as well. Thank you all for your kindness, generosity, and patriotism! See you soon :)

Niecie

YHJ posted the photos I took in his post above. Be sure to check out the first one (and our weird sense of humor).

techres

Quote from: Niecie on June 15, 2010, 03:34:46 PM
I just want to say thank you for the invitation. I had such a wonderful time! It was great meeting new folks and getting to see others again.

Sitting in the deck chair, I had no hope. Picking up a bucket, I found a whole lot of other great Americans willing to bail, as well. Thank you all for your kindness, generosity, and patriotism! See you soon :)

Niecie

YHJ posted the photos I took in his post above. Be sure to check out the first one (and our weird sense of humor).

You did great!  I have a great video of you tagging that smaller plate.  As soon as we can work out the hosting I will post it.  (or I could just youtube it quicker).

In any event, you did great and your ideas for volunteer workers are so good I know they will be implemented and quickly.

Bill 3

Quote from: techres on June 15, 2010, 04:34:13 PM
Quote from: Niecie on June 15, 2010, 03:34:46 PM

Niecie

You did great!  I have a great video of you tagging that smaller plate.  As soon as we can work out the hosting I will post it.  (or I could just youtube it quicker).

In any event, you did great and your ideas for volunteer workers are so good I know they will be implemented and quickly.

Upload the files and I'll set aside a published folder and provide you a link prefix
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

kentuckyjam

Niece,
Forgot to say a big THANK YOU for keeping the girls occupied. ;)  You went above and beyond and it shows you will be a huge asset as a volunteer if we can get you a better looking hat.

Thanks to all of you all for the pics.  I tend to forget some of the weekend until I see the pics.  I need to quit scrunching up my forehead so much.  Nice to see the good positions across the line and Mudcat with BioGranny. 

CONGRATS BioGranny!!!!  Can't wait to see you telling someone "Follow through".  :~

Nice to meet everyone that I didn't know.  And who knew I'd see some of you so soon again, very cool.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

DaveD

I can see a great time was had by all.  Sorry I missed out on this one.  Hope to tag the next.

I will be picking YHJ's    :bow:   brain prior to this months Cloverdale Shoot
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Mogget

This is great!  I'm smiling while I look at it!

Can't wait to see the other stuff that is going to come from it.

Mogs

ATM

Great event! Enjoyed meeting and seeing you all again. Excellent discussions, training and, of course... shooting!  :---

Following last year's instructor picninc and informal shoot, I hope that this or something similar will continue to recur on an annual basis.
An evening around the campfire followed by a day at the range is hard to beat by itself but the ideas, sharing of knowledge and comaraderie generated are invaluable.
I leave every Appleseed event humbled and awed by the quality and passion of the people I meet and those I've come to know.

I now feel more confident about instructing some different KD models (for various range limitations) that were outlined this weekend
Verifying not just my own but also the abilities of my fellow riflemen (and women) to "reach out there a bit further" was an important aspect which I know I have underestimated in the past. I guess it's true that seeing is believing but doing is knowing.

Thanks to our hosts and everyone who made this possible. See you on the trail!  O0
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Bill of Rights

Next time we need to have this a little closer to the center of the state and on a weekend I'm not working! Looks like a great time.

BoR
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Bill 3

A few more Pics:

Nice Tripod Techres......

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

PHenry

Nicely done ya'll.

Who's that Rifleman with the come ups listed on the buttstock of his rifle? You can always tell the serious LR shooter from the 100 yard plinker.  O0

To thems who couldn't make it  - go ahead and start kicking yerselfs right now. These KD clinics are an opportunity not to be missed!

I recall well the first time I laid down in prone at 600 yards and squeezed off a shot on a sanctioned NRA HP FD range. When my target came up and I could see the spotter in the 8 ring and I knew that the 18 clicks I had been instructed to add actually worked! Nothing trumps experience.

Again, nicely done.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

techres

Quote from: PHenry on June 17, 2010, 07:35:20 PM
Nicely done ya'll.

Who's that Rifleman with the come ups listed on the buttstock of his rifle? You can always tell the serious LR shooter from the 100 yard plinker.  O0

That would be our imported ringer: West!

Mudcat

Great pics everyone! I was beginning to wonder how big of a turnout we were going to have at first. But we had many able to make the trip down south. Thanks to everyone that made it to those that didn't well maybe next time.
Speaking of....How about a winter one when we can have the whole range.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

I am on for winter. Cold, snow, wind, I don't care so long as I can still SEE the target. Of course, ATM will have to heat the bacon, I am not a fan of pig sickles  ^-^

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

ATM

Cold, snow, wind, and properly cooked bacon all make me smile.  :)

Honestly, it's worth the drive no matter where and when the next one will be held.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

West

Wow what a great weekend!  We truly did the Project proud, in my opinion.

It was great to finally meet the majority of the Indiana crew, and get some good long range in (although my showing for it wasn't all that great...)

I was really pleased to have met the people that are the core of the Indiana Appleseed, and the reason why the Midwest is so awesome, between here, Ohio, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

I have to admit, the pictures that were put up are great.

Congrats to Biogranny, you'll be a great instructor!

To PHenry:  See photo attached -- ;D
To ATM:  For the holiest of Holies -- Bacon of the Light!
See you all soon.

West :))

PHenry

West - roger that sir. Best place for come-up info isn't in a book somewhere else - it's on the rifle, preferably upside down for easy and quick reference!

Glad to see ya'll doing KD - good for the program.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata