News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

niece and her son

Started by DeborahG, June 13, 2010, 06:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeborahG

Hi All

Just a short time ago found out my niece and her family have been talking about purchasing a rifle ^:)^. She wants her children to know how to hunt in case the need ever arises. I've talked to her about Appleseed and she is interested in attending with me at the August shoot in Miamisburg. If she does not have a rifle by then would she be able to share mine and how old must you be to attend a shoot. Her oldest son is 11 and oldest daughter is 13 (although not sure if daughter is interested at this point).

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
DeborahG

jeep45238

I've seen children as young as 9 on the firing line personally.  As long as they're mature enough to follow instructions and follow safety rules, I don't see what problem would exist  :)
USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

Luna

Deborah G,

It does really depend on the maturity of the individual.  We have had 8 year old shooters on the line and we have a 10 year old Rifleman down in Athens.  Just this past weekend at Miamisburg we had 5-6 young Patriots participate.  They fought through some pretty tough conditions as well.

There are normally a couple loaner rifles available so you don't have to share rifles.  Let the shoot boss know your needs ahead of time and I am sure everything will work out great.  The important thing is safety of course so we will have with some young Patriots stay in the prone position and even shoot off sand bags or bi-pods as our designated Marksman. 

I hope to see you there.  It is great that you are introducing your young family members to shooting and I think they will also learn a lot about our heritage, history they are not hearing in school.

Luna

DeborahG

Slarti

Deborah,

Not much to add with regards to age, my 10 year old son did well, as did a friends 9 year old son -- maturity is the key.  If your niece is getting rifles for the kids, may I suggest that you look at the Marlin 795 as 1) they're cheap ($94 at Dunhams after $25 Mfg rebate) and 2) they're easy to modified.  As to the second point, I would suggest having the stock cut down a few inches to fit the kids better.  I cut about 3" off my sons and he went from struggling with the size/weight to being able to easily handle things.  The 'fit' made all the difference.  If you're mechanically inclined (or know some one who is) the modification is easy to preform.

Regards
Del

-- Slarti
OHR93

DeborahG

Hi

Thanks Del for the info. Just spoke with her and she's coming solo this time, however this is great info to give her.

My next question is how do I find out who the shoot boss is in case she needs a loaner rifle?

Thanks again guys!!
DeborahG

jeep45238

Go here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

Click on 'information' across from your AS event  (IE Lancaster, OH) - which will take you to a post on this forum about that particular event:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11223.0

Generally there is a person to contact under 'more information', and they should be able to get you in contact with the shoot boss, or directly be able to set you up with any information/requests you should need.
USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

Luna

I will be shoot boss at Lancaster in a couple weeks.  I will bring 2 loners, 1 scoped, 1 with iron.  You are more than welcome to either one.  Looking forward to seeing you there. 

Dan
(Luna)

DeborahG

Hi Dan

Thanks for info, but won't be at Lancaster, we will be at the Miamisburg shoot in August. Sorry for any confusion. My work hours are such that I'm not usually going to bed until 7a.m. so that pretty much keeps me from any earlier shoots. I'll be on vacation that first week of Aug. and it will still be an effort to get to bed to get the rest I'll need for the shoot. Darn body clock!!!! However it's something I really want to do. Once I get a Saturday and the learning process under my belt then I can at least get in some Sunday shoots.

Will you be in Miamisburg, at least to shoot? If so look forward to meeting you.

DeborahG

MeanStreaker

Hi Deborah,  I sent you a PM this morning to welcome you and let you know your niece is welcome to borrow one of my 10/22s in August.  SavageShooter forwarded me your question to her.

Thanks!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

GoldFish

DeborahG,
If you are going to the Lancaster shoot this weekend (June 26-27) and need a loaner rifle, then send a message to "Wildcat" on the forum.  He just might be able to hook you up with a youth (compact) size 10/22 with either a scope or iron-sights. 
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity