News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Loaner Rifle?

Started by AuntieBellum, June 11, 2010, 12:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Hi all -
Sooooo, Rimshot and I have extended our Applessed invites further than we can support equipment-wise.  For the upcoming Cloverdale shoot DHolder has already offered to loan us one rifle for the weekend, but now another of my sisters has signed up for Saturday!  Does anyone else have a loaner we could use on Saturday?  We'll keep looking for deals and do what we can to *try* to get another one together by then, but it's not looking good.  Thanks for your help!

Our group of attendees:
Rimshot - has rifle
AuntieBellum - has rifle
AuntieBellum's 14 year old sister - has rifle
AuntieBellum's dad - borrowing DHolder's scoped rifle
AuntieBellum's 21 year old sister - ????  needs rifle for Saturday only (not attending Sunday) Note: She has never shot a rifle.  Has been to Pops and put some rounds downrange through various handguns with a couple friends.  We can certainly shift rifles around so that one of us with more experience uses the loaner.

Also, we may have to request some slack for my youngest sister; she was just diagnosed today with a chronic pain condition resulting after a crush injury in an ankle, so the getting up and down may be rough.  We'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!  We'll take any and all suggestions you have, including places to purchase cheap rifles.  And no worries, my other sister won't be signing up. ;)

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Another D.O.M.

Hello there AuntieBellum.  It looks like you have a pretty good instructor crew signed up for the Cloverdale event - there's a good chance one of them may have a loaner your sister can use.

As regards the younger sister's 'limitations', only she can determine what they are/will be - don't let her push it too far just to prove she can do it.  That being said, the same applies - the instructors who will be working this shoot are real pros and they'll know how to deal with anything that comes along.

It's great to see you getting your family involved!
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

ATM

I'll be there and willing to loan my 10/22 with Tech Sights.

I will consider it reserved.  O0

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

techres

Please, please, please notify the shoot boss and introduce him to the shooter with the bad back.  He will then instruct his team to be very careful in positions and transitions for that shooter.

We had a case in April where the information was not passed down and a shooter with a bad back was given a position instruction that was not good for her.  She followed it and suffered some pain that was both unnecessary and unfortunate.  We adjusted immediately and got her back on track and out of pain, but I never want to see that replayed again.

Notify the instructor team via the shoot boss.  Also tell your sister that if she is asked to do something that she knows will cause her pain to let us know that before following the instruction.  We always want a person with limits to communicate "sorry, I cannot do that" with us so that we can adjust what we are asking so that we can get to a "yeah, I can do that fine" place.

I wish I could be there to meet you this time in person, but I know we will meet soon and that you will be with a great team of instructors.

And if you need any more rifles, we can get more your way!

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

stschil

I don't know if this will help, but Gander Mountain has several rifles on sale at the moment.  One of them is a Marlin 795, 10 shot .22 semi and it comes with a 4 X 32 scope.  In addition, Marlin is offering a $25 mail in rebate on it as well, taking the price down to about $130.   
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

Bill of Rights

Good heads-up, stschil, thanks!!

Auntie, ATM has offered his 10/22 with tech-sights and I have one with a scope that I can loan for Saturday (not sure about Sunday)

I will have no hurt feelings if you choose to use ATM's rifle, but I wanted to let you know of the option.

Blessings,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

TBE

Its getting to be a long line offering support, but if something does comes up and the rest of the offers do not work out or if you can recruit even more folks, I have a scoped 10/22 and tech sites 10/22 that you can borrow. 

More importantly, good job on getting these people out to an Apple Seed!

Thanks,
TBE
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

AuntieBellum

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

D.O.M. - Actually, Rimshot and I told my dad and my youngest sister, and then my youngest sister told the 21 year old sister!  So, Appleseed has a 14 year old girl who's only been out shooting twice in her life and who's never been to an Appleseed promoting the program!  I think maybe she's a little excited about this.  ;)  She also won't let me use "her" rifle (it's ours, but we put it together with her in mind) since she likes the scope and the blue mag release!

ATM - We'll gladly take you up on the offer!  Thanks!

techres - Thanks for the great tip!  We'll make sure to alert the SB and remind my sister to speak up if something isn't working for her. 

stschil - Thanks for the heads up, stschil.  I'm not as familiar with the Marlins, but I'm going to look into it.  They seem to be a good alternative to the 10/22s.

Bill - Thanks for the back-up option!  We'll see how everyone is doing with the tech sights vs. scopes and see how it goes Saturday.

TBE - And thanks for the back-up, back-up option!  I'm pretty sure the line is almost filled for Cloverdale, so I don't think we'll bring anyone else this time around.  :)  We still have my brother and mom and Rimshot's family to work on for future shoots, though.  ;)  Not to mention the NWI INGO crowd, and friends and extended family and...!!!

Thank you, everyone!

DaveD

AuntieBellum,

Shoot Boss checking in!  Looking forward to meeting the family.
Looks like we will have a full line.

At this point we should have the loaners needed. 
My 10/22 is already spoken for, but have an AR available if someone wants to supply the ammo.

As Techres stated, shooters just need to let us know their limitations and we will ensure a safe enjoyable shoot for them.   O0
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

AuntieBellum

Thanks, DaveD!  Can't wait to meet you at Cloverdale!

stschil

Ante,   It looks like you have more than enough offers to cover you needs. 

Everyone:    Just reading these posts leaves me knowing that I will be in excellent company with a group of like minded people.  I am excited about the shoot at the end of the month and am really looking forward to meeting you all in person.

More info:  (Kind of a hands on review)
  I wasn't familiar with the Marlin 795 either, but the reviews I read seemed pretty good, so I bought two. One for my daughter and one for myself.
  She's never fired a rifle in her life and I thought that the Marlin was a good choice as it's only 5 lbs, has an easy to use bolt lock with a large thumb paddle and it also locks open on an empty mag.
  I gave her Fred's step by steps and had her read through them, did a little dry firing with her over the last couple of days and took her out to zero her scope last night.   I'm so proud of her,,,,she was shooting 3" shot groups with her first 3 round clip and I was able to zero her in 12!
  The Marlin is a nice little can opener....I would recommend it to anyone with or without shooting experiance.  Once I had my scope dialed,,, my 795 enabled me to literally circle the bullseye leaving nothing but a 1" hole in the center of the target.

AuntieBellum

Looking forward to Saturday!

I already posted this in the Women of Appleseed thread, but I thought I'd draw some attention to my new blog if anyone is interested in reading it:
http://patriotwhispers.blogspot.com.

Don't feel like you have to take a look, but I was trying to find a way to turn my experiences into something useful for others who might be interested in Appleseed, so what better than to start from the beginning!  Looking forward to adding more to it soon!

TBE

Nice report!   You did a great job of capturing the motivation, frustration, equipment failures, general struggle and improvement that I suspect is typical of many's first appleseed.  It sure mirrored my first experience. 

I'm going to link your blog to some of my friends that I am trying to get to a seed because I think it is such an accurate depiction of what they should expect.

I look forward to reading about your further perseverance and success! 

TBE
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

AuntieBellum

Thanks, TBE.  I appreciate you taking a look, and I hope it is helpful to others and helps potential newbies give Appleseed a try!

stschil

I just viewed your blog from last weekend.  Excellent report!   Reading it took me right back in to the thick of it all.
  Congrats to your Dad.   I had so hoped to be there with the other Rifleman, but this weekend it just wasn't in the cards.   But there is always the next shoot!

AuntieBellum

I'm right there with ya', stschil - next time we'll show 'em!  ;)  Thanks for reading my blog!

Quote from: stschil on June 29, 2010, 10:09:23 AM
I just viewed your blog from last weekend.  Excellent report!   Reading it took me right back in to the thick of it all.
  Congrats to your Dad.   I had so hoped to be there with the other Rifleman, but this weekend it just wasn't in the cards.   But there is always the next shoot!