News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Location Specific: Putnam County Gun Club (PCGC)

Started by The Machine, June 09, 2010, 08:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanner

Quote from: MacMcM on July 01, 2010, 10:26:00 AM
I went to PCGC last evening to look around and sight in a NEW LTR....

I have decided to make the new "Liberty Range" 50M long and 25M wide. It should accomodate 20 AS shooters easily, and have next-to-range parking. Eventually we will even have covered shooting positions, but only sky for now. We can plant pipes at the 25M point to facilitate target stands.

The grand opening of the Liberty Range will be April 16-17, 2011... go ahead and book it!

Back to the LTR... had FTF on all 5 mags with Federal high dollar ammo... CCI mini mags fed better.
Guess there is a breaking in period for the non existent feed ramp. I did buy the 1022 performance eBook.
Some good stuff in there. Oh Keith, I have 2 1022's now.... this is not the one we worked on... still no bullets thru it yet.

Mac, here's a link to my description of how I prepare a 10/22 for AS use (re paint and lube):

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7904.msg86261#msg86261

and another thread on mag tension (various authors & opinions):

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9062.msg79124#msg79124

These weren't meant to specifically address FTF, but may be of interest anyways.

Now... back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

The Machine

QuoteThe grand opening of the Liberty Range will be April 16-17, 2011... go ahead and book it!
Fantastic Mac; I'll add it to the 2011 Patriot's Day itinerary!  O0
In the meantime, what is being done to promote this wonderful location for the upcoming Aug. shoot? I see that there are only 2 pre-regs so far.

FWIW, I've found CCI Mini Mags to be an acceptable "diet" for most .22s...a little pricey, but they seem to always do a good job.
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

MacMcM

Spanner, I'm still not WL-1 and locked out.. will read them when I get access Thanx!

TM,

I have put it up at the range, taking flyers to local gun shops (this weekend) and sent out an email to 270 members of PCGC with email. We have it on our website. I have also promoted it at the Club meetings. I expect 15-20 takers, but it may take word of mouth to get it going strong... I bet our second one will be bigger. Our folks are used to walk ins, and may be leery of web registration.
We will try to get one in this Fall also.

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

The Machine

Quote from: MacMcM on July 01, 2010, 02:55:21 PM

TM,

I have put it up at the range, taking flyers to local gun shops (this weekend) and sent out an email to 270 members of PCGC with email. We have it on our website. I have also promoted it at the Club meetings. I expect 15-20 takers, but it may take word of mouth to get it going strong... I bet our second one will be bigger. Our folks are used to walk ins, and may be leery of web registration.
We will try to get one in this Fall also.

Mac
Great, it sounds like you're on the right track Mac.  :)

I know quite a few people are apprehensive about registering online, but I would remind them that there is a mail-in option as well. By registering--even if they qualify to attend FREE--it assures them a spot on the firing line. So, in this particular case (PCGC) where the range capacity is rather limited at this time, a "walk on" would be rolling the dice. If there where 50 slots to fill, chance would favor those who choose to walk on. Those who preregister always have precedence before anyone else, as far as a slot on the firing line is concerned. Registration also helps us internally, on the planning side of things. I hope this gives you a better understanding of the value in registering.

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

MacMcM

TM,

I fully understand the value in pre-registration !!! I hope you got my email copy of what I sent to our membership yesterday.... We will work hard to get a full firing line.

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Colorado Pete

Oh, my. This thread brings back fond memories. I lived in Hurricane ("Hurrikin") from summer '75 to summer '77 (NJ before & after). Senior year of high school and first year of college (which was here in CO).

Tested for my driver's license in Winfield. I worked at the Shoney's Big Boy restaurant nights, at the Winfield exit of I-64. And yes, coming home from work one night I got a speeding ticket on Teays Valley Rd.

Haven't been back since a pass-thru in summer '78. I still remember how the air smelled in summer and how pretty the girls were! Gotta get back one of these days, not even sure I could find my old shooting buddy anymore.

I hope you guys have a great shoot!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

wvmmfalcon

Been busy latley. I will probably try to attend. I am working rught now on a range here. I will make another posr about that. Glad to see that we are making stuff happen. Keith, I want to talk to you about some stuff. Frank, I am trying to get ready so that I will be a good SB when needed. Who is going to SB at Putnam, Keith? We are growing! I like it!
West Virginia Millenium Falcon
Jeffrey-Frank..Jarrell
KYPD
Malon Labe
I think, therefore I am dangerous (Q)

The Machine

QuoteI hope you got my email copy of what I sent to our membership yesterday...
I'm having ongoing problems with that email account (actually, it's the computer not the ISP) but I'll have it resolved this weekend. Blasted HP tx1320 tablet!  !@#)  If anyone needs to reach me, use the forum PM until I get the email fixed.

QuoteI am working rught now on a range here.
We need to talk...check your PM. I think we'll have enough to cover PCGC if you can't make it.

MacMcM

MacMcM

siglite

--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

MacMcM

After today, I bet we are a sellout Aug 28-29!!!!!

siglite

Quote from: MacMcM on July 10, 2010, 09:23:12 PM
After today, I bet we are a sellout Aug 28-29!!!!!

I was just saying exactly that in the Savage Arms thread.

--

Keith Morgan

The Machine

The pre-reg tally is up to 6 right now; almost half way there with over a month to go. I'm smellin' "Sold Out"!  :)

MacMcM

Quote from: The Machine on July 13, 2010, 02:13:17 PM
The pre-reg tally is up to 6 right now; almost half way there with over a month to go. I'm smellin' "Sold Out"!  :)

Should gain a few more at PCGC meeting tomorrow nite... I have the Navy officer over a Sea Scout group coming to meeting... And I doubt any of our Jr. Shooters from the club have registered yet.

^:)^

siglite

Quote from: MacMcM on July 13, 2010, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: The Machine on July 13, 2010, 02:13:17 PM

Should gain a few more at PCGC meeting tomorrow nite... I have the Navy officer over a Sea Scout group coming to meeting... And I doubt any of our Jr. Shooters from the club have registered yet.

^:)^

New pre-reg numbers are up.

QuoteEleanor, WV                              13/15
--

Keith Morgan

vanrichten

Quote from: siglite on July 14, 2010, 09:21:05 AM
New pre-reg numbers are up.

QuoteEleanor, WV                              13/15

..:..   ^:)^
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

MacMcM

I wish our event was setup for 20 attendees online... can they change that?
I'm gonna pick up some Sea Scouts Thursday night....

Mac O0

siglite

Quote from: MacMcM on July 14, 2010, 10:51:20 AM

Mac O0

I think we can handle four or five walk-ons in addition to the pre-regs.  But pre-regs take priority, so if anyone's turned away, it'll be the last walk-ons to show up.
--

Keith Morgan

The Machine

Quote from: MacMcM on July 14, 2010, 10:51:20 AM

Mac O0
Mac, if we hit the 15 quota on the pre-regs, I can get a hold of the person handling registrations to open up an additional 5 slots. We'll cross that bridge when it materializes.

I forgot to ask...what is the absolute maximum that we can now fit on the firing line which will be used?

MacMcM

20... we have a 100 foot firing line. It does extend quite a ways beyond the roof however, and we could fit probably 30 in a pinch. I guess you guys have limits per instructor tho and I will leave that decision wholly up to you all.
Mac

The Machine

OK, thanks. If need be, I'll open 5 more slots for pre-reg, and that would still allow room for a few walk-ons. The instructor/student ratio won't be an issue on this particular shoot; we have sufficient staff who will be there. If we start getting attendance numbers in WV hovering around the 40-50 level, that might raise a few eyebrows...but we could still handle it.  :)

vanrichten

Quote from: The Machine on July 14, 2010, 01:54:22 PM
OK, thanks. If need be, I'll open 5 more slots for pre-reg, and that would still allow room for a few walk-ons. The instructor/student ratio won't be an issue on this particular shoot; we have sufficient staff who will be there. If we start getting attendance numbers in WV hovering around the 40-50 level, that might raise a few eyebrows...but we could still handle it.  :)

What do you mean if?  WHEN we get 40 - 50 at these shoots we will start to make a dent in waking up WV and bringing the heritage of the rifleman back to the Mountain State!  Montani Semper Liberi!
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on July 14, 2010, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: The Machine on July 14, 2010, 01:54:22 PM
OK, thanks. If need be, I'll open 5 more slots for pre-reg, and that would still allow room for a few walk-ons. The instructor/student ratio won't be an issue on this particular shoot; we have sufficient staff who will be there. If we start getting attendance numbers in WV hovering around the 40-50 level, that might raise a few eyebrows...but we could still handle it.  :)

What do you mean if?  WHEN we get 40 - 50 at these shoots we will start to make a dent in waking up WV and bringing the heritage of the rifleman back to the Mountain State!  Montani Semper Liberi!
Thanks for that correction, brother! I had a temporary mental lapse into "static thinking".  ;D

On a side note...anyone who can't make the PCGC shoot in Aug. could drive up to Stinson on Sept. 25-26...we have plenty of slots open.  ;) Also Mac, if you get additional dates that you would like to add at PCGC, please let me know ASAP, so I can schedule them. We will even do winter shoots if you think people will show up.

MacMcM

I will add at least 1 maybe 2 at our meeting tomorrow night... we MAY have a new range to use for them, and approval will be much easier!

I will let you know Friday.

Mac

MacMcM

The Machine

Quote from: MacMcM on July 14, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
I will add at least 1 maybe 2 at our meeting tomorrow night... we MAY have a new range to use for them, and approval will be much easier!

I will let you know Friday.

Mac
Great news Mac. I can't thank you enough for all the work and dedication you have put forth toward helping Appleseed grow in WV.  O0 

Something else that you might consider, after you get the long distance range expanded, is holding a week-long 'Rifleman Boot Camp' (RBC) at PCGC. These clinics allow our instructors to go more in-depth with certain aspects of rifle marksmanship such as wind doping, target detection, range estimation, ballistics analysis, etc.; along with protocols for becoming an RWVA Instructor. PCGC would be a fine location for one of these, especially if there was a range available out to 500 yds.

Ratchett

Way to go Mac and the WVa crew! Great job guys, looking forward to working with y'all.

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

MacMcM

Frank,

How much time is spent on the range for the RBC? I can't tie up a range(longer than 25M) for a week ever.....

Spanner

Quote from: MacMcM on July 14, 2010, 04:28:27 PM
Frank,

How much time is spent on the range for the RBC? I can't tie up a range(longer than 25M) for a week ever.....

Can you tie it up for a Wednesday and Thursday?  That's all we'd need.  Otherwise, 25m.  Six days (Sunday-Friday) + the traditional trailing AS the following Sat/Sun (to exercise all those new orange hats).

On the Eventbrite capacity for the upcoming shoot:  I think you and siglite should figure out the max, and go ahead and set the Eventbrite capacity to that max.  I can't think of any good reason not to go ahead and do that.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel